The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
Damon23

Anyone redo their bench seat?

I bought a set of covers and they dont look right. The old covers were held on with hog rings and had a metal rod ran thru the base of the cover that the hog ring attached to.

The new cover looks the same but does not have a place for the metal rod and has a plastic "J" hook on the bottom. Kind of lost. I guess I could call the manufactuer. They are not PUI, they came from a place called WLH headliners.
Damon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
56hotrodred

Re: Anyone redo their bench seat?

The bench seat covers I got from LMC looked like that. Not to sure where they got them from but I installed it and it looks pretty good.

Get some installation instructions and work in a well-heated room to ease the stretching of the cover when installing. I worked near my wood stove in my shop that was on full blast for the few hours it took from start to finish.

56hotrodred (Barry)
56hotrodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #3
Squareforceone

any pictures i'd love to recover my bench but i want it to look exactly like factory just black vinyl
Old 02-09-2013, 01:05 AM   #4
rollin thunder

I used to do upholstery. the Hog rings are easier and more secure in my opinion but are nasty if they stick out. you need hog ring pliers obviously specific for hog rings and new hog rings ( you could re use old ones but i have had almost all of them break on me and mostly where rusted). The j hook is designed for you to stretch the bottom of the cover past the bar/rod on the seat and curl it up and snap the long plastic hook onto a rod the bar that is on the bottom of the seat holding the cover into place ( see picture below) Do not just hook it on the rod without curling it up and over as it will be more apt to slip off. I Have not used the j hook snap style on these squares i have always got the hog rings Cut off the j hook and sewed in a bar for rings. for easier application a steamer is ideal but if one is not available like when i was on the road doing calls. I`d kick the heater up to high let it warm up and slowly massage the vinyl or leather and stretch it into position and also as a result when it cooled it shrunk and held tighter. If steam is believable its is more ideal as it help keeps the vinyl or leather from drying.. if you go the dry heat route have some minks oil for leather or some upholstery conditioner after it all cools off to rehydrate it.
Attached Images

2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 4wd extended cab dd
rollin thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:08 AM   #5
rollin thunder

I hoped this helped and btw as far as "j hook style" or hog rings being better just really depends on what you prefer on your seat. the newer vehicles use zippers and the plastic hooks they are less apt to rip and to hurt if come undone unlike hog rings which can hurt something fearsome when you catch your leg.
2001 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 4wd extended cab dd
rollin thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
Damon23

I sent the cover back along with the old one so they could see. I guess it will be another couple weeks before I can tackle it. Thanks for the input.
Posted via Mobile Device
Damon23 is offline   Reply With Quote