The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2004, 07:45 PM   #51
Oborny71

umm... NO The caddy is sweet, but i would keep your truck. I am VERY surprised that people on this 67-72 chevy truck board are telling you to sell your truck! I think it would be the exact opposite, but i guess i'm wrong. there are other nice cars out there, but i would never give up my trucks for somthing else. your truck is already decent. I would finish fixing it up. just my .02
Old 03-13-2004, 11:07 PM   #52
Cruiser71
AKA Phillip Johnson, AKA BANNED

Dinnut has a girl friend.. Cool.
I would still keep the BOOTSY plate and change aoo the belts hoese and fluids. Then keep your fingers crossed.
Cruiser71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 12:28 AM   #53
greasemonkey

A/C? who needs A/C? I don't.
A rather grizzled old mechanic told me once, "Son, you don't need air conditioning. If your girl really loves you, she'll glisten all the way."
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 12:52 AM   #54
dinnut

Quote:
Originally posted by Oborny71
umm... NO The caddy is sweet, but i would keep your truck. I am VERY surprised that people on this 67-72 chevy truck board are telling you to sell your truck! I think it would be the exact opposite, but i guess i'm wrong. there are other nice cars out there, but i would never give up my trucks for somthing else. your truck is already decent. I would finish fixing it up. just my .02
alot of people points were that i can always find another truck later. and this is a sweet deal IF it all works out.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:14 AM   #55
67sss

Put the caddy on a trailer and tow it around with your truck. You'll have the best of both worlds........CADDYSHACK!
67sss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 05:16 AM   #56
1969 GMC

I don't really see why you should let your friends and what they drive influence your decision about what you should drive. You are your own person, not their personal chaffeur. My suggestion: think independently. And if your parents have any sense, they will lay down rules about having only a certain number of people in the car...ideally 2, you and another person. Since you are a beginning driver you will not be used to driving around, it will only make it worse with 6 guys in the car with you that are all shouting and distracting you. My insurance carrier recommends for teens to drive pickup trucks, because they can only carry so many people.

Back to the caddy...if you think you are just gonna pull this beast out of the garage and go cruisin', you are wrong. Cableguy is right about all the work you will have to do to it, and it seems that you want this car so much that common sense is not getting through to you. Plus, I guarantee the A/C will not work when (if) you get it on the road. Same with the air ride. For the amount of work and cash you will put into this car, it makes so much more sense to just fix your truck and perhaps add an aftermarket air system. Then you can keep your hot dates cool. Remember, ladies love the pickup man.

That is why I called this car a long-term project before: it is in very good shape. You have a great FOUNDATION for an award winning car. But it will need lots of work and tlc to be driven.

Quote:
and since my truck doesnt have a/c. has some rust and the transmission, brakes, and engine will need some stuff to be able to be driven,
hmm...that and the tri-tone paint leads me to believe you may have to reduce the price, if you really do have your heart set on selling.

I am not trying to be harsh, just realistic. The truck will be a lot better for a driver, and less expensive to fix. BUT, I'd still take the Caddy. it does look very nice...great long term project.
just my 4 cents
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 06:55 AM   #57
Blue Beard

That's the kind of car everyone always dreams of finding..........yet alone owning.
1956 Chev Bel Air
1977 Blazer 2WD For Sale $3000.00
1978 Blazer 2WD For Sale $7000.00
1978 Silverado
2005 Monte Carlo
Blue Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 01:34 PM   #58
Cruiser71
AKA Phillip Johnson, AKA BANNED

BOOTSIE< Keep the Caddy and one of the trucks. Give grandma $100 and put it in Hemmings and get $20k. then go buy a fully restored 72 and enjoy life and put the BOOTSY plate on the truck. Chicks will dig it.
Cruiser71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 06:41 PM   #59
dinnut

1969 gmc... because i like going places with my friends.... im not letting them influence me... its the TRUTH! ive wanted a car all along, but i got an interest in these trucks that panned out quickly. my mom wotn know how many people i have in the car. even if she sets rule i probably wotn be following it.

and as for the car not running and a/c not working.... my grandfather was a mechanic and owned his own gas station pretty much his whole adult life. im not worried about all that. he has all the resources and tools to get the car in good running shape and the a/c working. i know the car will require some work. that was pretty much a given. well just have to see what happens. i mean right now all this is still in the planning phase...

i am going to keep 1 truck. me and my mom discussed that.
we will figure all this out.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:04 PM   #60
dinnut

more pictures of the car....i also talked to my grandfather this morning and he said this car has EVERY option available. except for auto locking when car is started because he didnt want that because he heard the system was faulty......

notice the temperature gauge...

cb radio!
8 track player....
Old 03-15-2004, 08:05 PM   #61
dinnut

4590 original miles!

Old 03-15-2004, 08:39 PM   #62
shortymac83
hmm...

OK...My grandparents have an 85 cutlass ciera. I know it's not in the same league, but just listen.

My grandfather was one of those people that believed that if he didn't drive his car, it wouldn't get used up. As a result, the car has 30,000 miles on it when all of the other 85 cieras that I see have 150K+ miles on them. Every single gasket in the engine and transmission leak. The carb needs rebuilt because the gas has turned to varnish. The gas tank and lines need replaced for the same reason. He had to get a new transmission at 5,000 miles (in 1993) because all of the seals inside rotted out from not being used. It burns oil because the rings never seated properly, it has needed all new tires, hoses and belts at least 5 times because of dry rot, and it's now starting to rust because they keep it in a humid garage. Just something to think about. Those low miles cars aren't always the best deal even if they might look nice.

www.fcrperformance.com - wanna go...faster? talk to FCR.

shortymac83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 01:55 PM   #63
grebus1

That Eldo is way too nice and original to pass up. Don't let these guys talk you out of it! Any '70s Cadillac in this condition is an amazing find. I had a friend that had a '78 Eldo that was very similar and it was a great car and very cool. Remember also this was the last year of the full size Eldo...all the other '78 Caddys were downsized but the big Eldo held on for one last year.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:04 PM   #64
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Nice car Dinnut, but I have to agree with the naysayers. A car that has sat for that long will be a bigger nightmare than you can afford. Within several months EVERYTHING mechanical will need some kind of attention. I'd still get the car though, lower the rear, put spinners on it...
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 05:17 PM   #65
Pilgrim

Beside replacing all rubber components, you might want to consider replacing all engine and drive train seals to prevent leaks. My $.02. Good luck!!
Old 03-27-2004, 06:24 PM   #66
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

id get that car. you never know that a/c might work! i know my longhorn sat for 20 years, once they got it going, the ac blew cold! was a pound and 1/2 low but still worked.

be ready for the oil seals to leake, and lots of little stuf to stop working. you will want to change every inch of fuel line and flush the gas tank.

something long term is the valve guides will ware fast. they were made for leaded gas....im thinking of a rebuild here in a while.

ofcourse there is the other side of this.. like the said above.. get the car.. dont do a dam thing to it.. put it in the car mags and get a very nice profit.. this is probably what i would do...
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 08:42 PM   #67
Faster_than_you

cd player

o.k. dont know if this was said yet, or if anyone is even reading this post anymore. but here is what my thought would be, put a cd player in the glove box, caddys have them right? hook up a changer with it, and your on your way. that way you can hook up some 12's in the trunk and it would be like very awesome. besides running a cd changer is a helpfull addition, you cant always upgrade and add on present and future electronic items. i.e. some t.v's layed in a removable console. I had this setup in my corvette. I ran 2 10's being pushed by a 800 watt amp. it was all controlled by the alpine cda-7875 model. that model and all other alpine cda models have the bass engine module on it. Alpine patented bass engines for there stereos only. they allow you to control your amp, subs, everything else just like an equilizer. actually it basically is an equilizer on the deck.