The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2022, 08:37 PM   #26
tutone

Re: Paint Quote - What is Reasonable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
I don’t .

Back in the 80s I made 400 a week working in a shop . Today they have to pay a real body man who paints at least 1200 a week . My buddy charges 175 an hour labor at his shop. And I’m sure I’m understating it. I painted my Chevelle for about 1500 total in 1994. Today the base coat of PPG DBU would be that much .
Point taken, and I understand overhead, shop costs, and labor.
I've been in business for myself off and on for years. But you and I both know that the paint/ insurance gimmick is a scam.
Who suffers? You and I if we have to farm this out because we cannot do the job. I hear horror stories, as noted of people waiting on a classic for years because it got put on the back burner.
I have a good friend who just sold his 15000 sq ft shop.
If I needed a panel buff, I better catch him in the summer before the deer move. The inflated cost, coupled with the lack of interested shops who estimate with a book, is why the patina/black hot rod look is popular.
I guess I will be humbled myself soon. I will be painting my 1968 Camaro.
And I will keep up with the hours/ materials cost/ and dig this thread up and post it here. It is solid like th OPs truck, and in epoxy primer.
May have to eat my words, but they taste alright. I've done it before.
1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:39 PM   #27
leddzepp

Quote:
I don’t .

Back in the 80s I made 400 a week working in a shop . Today they have to pay a real body man who paints at least 1200 a week . My buddy charges 175 an hour labor at his shop. And I’m sure I’m understating it. I painted my Chevelle for about 1500 total in 1994. Today the base coat of PPG DBU would be that much .
I’m going with the limited info the OP gave. The biggest thing he left out was the timeframe. As we all know, time is money.

I paid the same price for the same kind of job tutone described above. The truck was not disassembled. I removed all the trim, emblems, grille, glass, etc. The shop did it as a side job in between other work. They told me it would take a month… It took just under 10 months…but it didn’t cost anywhere near $20K.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:10 PM   #28
72c20customcamper

It’s all relative to where you live also . A friend had his car done in a shop down in Georgia back around 2015 car came out beautifully and it was about half of what it would have cost up here. I know I have around around 4k in materials so far in my truck . It adds up very quickly ,crap a good roll of masking 3m automotive masking tape is 7 bucks . Even the cleaners are expensive I use acetone for most paints it’s up to 25 a gallon
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 11:27 PM   #29
kxmotox247

$15-20k is easy these days. Our shop rate is $90-$120 plus materials. That's like 3 weeks of labor and materials. Roughly since we don't know exact details. I'd be surprised if any quality job was done that quickly.
kxmotox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 08:47 AM   #30
Willie Makeit

$15-$20K is the going rate for complete repaint around here. few shops want to do this type of work anymore as they can make more a lot more money doing collision/insurance work. supply and demand.

and people wonder why the "patina look" is so popular nowadays
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 08:51 AM   #31
72c20customcamper

Time frame makes a difference too. If it’s going in and out in a couple of weeks the shop doesn’t deal with storing your car . We had a separate building for dead cars. Basically either we were to busy to work on it or the owner ran out of cash in this situation only good friends got storage . Just think about it a car stored inside in a heated area . What’s that worth in and of itself .
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 10-10-2022, 09:06 AM   #32
Accelo

Materials have tripled in price in the last two years.
Because they can!

Getting anyone to take on a complete paint job is unlikely, at least in my area.
I have a relationship with a local shop. I help them out with mechanical stuff and sometimes they will take on my "Projects".
The deal is; it's done on their schedule.
If you go in every week asking "Are you done yet" you will get black listed.
Average turn around time is 3 months.
Much of that is they always find something I didn't know about.
Like rockers I paid to have installed that didn't have enough clearance, on the bottom of the doors, for paint.
I also strip the "project" to bare metal. They are not interested in painting over old anything.
I leaned a long time ago I am not a body man and have no interest in becoming one.
This is what works for me.

$15 to $20K is a lot of money.
So is getting $50K for a nice truck.
Guess it all depends on the usage, budget and one's own talents.

Last edited by Accelo; 10-10-2022 at 10:07 AM.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 11:14 AM   #33
LNP

I do my own work myself saves a ton of money as others have pointed out. I painted cars years ago. What I ran into if you only quoted a repaint in other words a sand mask shoot send it home, then when you found rust or body damage people dont think they should have to pay no more than what you first told them. Over the years workin in garages I learned most people relate certain things as the reason for different issues. They think the venicle that has crappy body work but nice paint is a bad paint job. Loud exhaust obviously a bad muffler, coolant leak gotta be the water pump. Car wont start bad battery. And so on. So some garages especially in the paint and body world price high to cover thier behind with what they find under the paint. I did a quick paint job on my 69 for now and it still cost me bout $2500.00 far cry from 20grand but I havent strip it to bare metal yet. My 70 Challenger I got almost $6000.00 in sheetmetal. So you figure thats not installed, no sealer, no body work, no primer, or paint. It adds up quickly.

1969 Chevy C-10 Long Bed, 350cid, 700R4

Last edited by LNP; 10-10-2022 at 11:22 AM.
LNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 11:18 AM   #34
68 C10 Driver

The extremely high cost of getting paint work done is what drove me to learn how to do bodywork and painting. Over the years I have purchased all the equipment to include the latest HTE gun. I use the older siphon gun for primer, and was using my Devilbiss Finishline HPLV gun for the finish work. I will say that I am a single stage paint kind of guy when it comes to classic cars....and I have owned many over the years. I think that the single stage paint gives the most authentic look to a classic auto. Besides, it is easier to work with in my opinion, but I am sure someone who deals in two stage paint will disagree. If you do get a flaw in the paint, you can sand and buff it out. Easy-peasy.

My recent purchase is an inflatable paint booth, I will post pics of that and the results when I get to that point, hopefully next year.

Best of luck on your project, maybe think about doing the paintwork yourself, it will be rewarding. If you are not keen on doing the paint, maybe someone in your local car club will do it for a case of the brew of their choice. I would do all the prep work, so all the designated painter has to do is show up and spray.
68 C10 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 04:44 PM   #35
LS short box

When a local body shop let me do all the sanding they made it quite clear that their shop was not a storage building for parts. We started out with fenders, then the hood and then the doors. One piece at a time and I brought them home to store before paint. Last was the cab and box sides because they take up the most floor space. We did the bigger parts last because I had some experience sanding by then. I really learned a lot.
If you decide to move forward a tip? Once you have cab off the frame make a wheeled dolly so you can move it around. Bolt the dolly to the cab so it doesn't slip off.
Pic of my cab before the first priming.
Attached Images

LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 10:27 PM   #36
Grumpy old man

What is Reasonable? if you don't have the time, dry space , talent and tools to do it all yourself and you want a nice shiny paint job you might consider buying a truck that's already done and $20,000.00 will buy a pretty nice truck that someone else already went thru the headache and heartache of building a 50+ year old truck that they are selling trying to get back some of the hard earned money they spent that they may never get back with todays uncertain economy . I'm a big fan of doing everything yourself but after spending days /weeks/ months of taking a rusty old truck down to bare metal and bringing the finish back up to a sprayable surface not even considering all the metal work , A smart man might consider just going out and buying the best truck he can find and driving it next week with your best girl sitting next to you on the bench seat . For the rest of us , Welcome to the world of PAIN...
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 10:27 AM   #37
bluec10

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I can't really tell you if that quote is too far out of line, but... that's over $14k in my neck of the woods. I can do a whole lot of learning for $14k. So far I've put about $1,000 into buying equipment and paint for my truck. It's not where I want it yet, but I don't think I'll get to half that amount before I'm satisfied. And then I have the equipment and experience to paint my other vehicles.
I’m starting to think the same thing. I painted my motorcycle when I restored it and was pleased with the results - with a throw away Harbor Freight paint gun no less.
2019 BMW R1250 GSA - Yahoooooooo
1979 Honda GL 1000 - retro touring at its best.

Past:
'05 Sierra 4x4 - Had 270,000 KM and running well when it was written-off by a stop sign runner.
'94 F-150 from the "F word" company. I'll admit it...good truck. Sold what was left of it for $800 to a guy who came to pick it up at 11:00 PM with cash in hand. Hmm.
'79 Sierra Grande (Black) organ donor - perfect rebuildable 4-bolt 350 and a good TH350.
'76 Sierra Grande (Orange) - hate isn't too strong a word. Kid who bought it turned it into a hot rod.
'68 C-10 R.I.P. - Dad's old truck...too far gone to resurrect.
'59 C-50 - with hoist. Truck is gone, wife isn't. Nuff said.
bluec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 10:34 AM   #38
bluec10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Post a few pictures of what your starting with , Are all the mechanicals done Suspension/ drivetrain ? Are they painting the frame ? interior? installing new glass ? seals/ emblems /trim/ Never pay big bucks for paint until everything else is done . And Never spend $20,000.00 at a brand new shop .
Good advice, especially the last line. His work is good, no doubt. But there is a lot more to working with a shop than pics from an album.

Past:
'05 Sierra 4x4 - Had 270,000 KM and running well when it was written-off by a stop sign runner.
'94 F-150 from the "F word" company. I'll admit it...good truck. Sold what was left of it for $800 to a guy who came to pick it up at 11:00 PM with cash in hand. Hmm.
'79 Sierra Grande (Black) organ donor - perfect rebuildable 4-bolt 350 and a good TH350.
'76 Sierra Grande (Orange) - hate isn't too strong a word. Kid who bought it turned it into a hot rod.
Old 12-23-2022, 10:41 AM   #39
bluec10

Quote:
Little confused rust free 36k unrestored truck but you spent 5k on rust repair already ? So it’s a partially restored truck

Is this the same shop that did the rust repair ? If not a lot of shops will be reluctant to even touch it . We wouldn’t paint a vehicle that someone else had prepped. Reason being it’s our reputation that was on the line . That being said the price of paint and the cost of doing business have skyrocketed the past 10 years .

Are they just tapping and shooting or are they disassembling? Single stage or bc/cc there are so many variables it’s hard to say if it’s a fair or high price. I would get other quotes from other shops then you can compare
I think you’re right. The amount of labour is the variable I need to understand better. Funny - he was working at the shop where I had the rust repair done before he opened his own place.

Past:
Old 12-23-2022, 11:16 AM   #40
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluec10 View Post
I think you’re right. The amount of labour is the variable I need to understand better. Funny - he was working at the shop where I had the rust repair done before he opened his own place.
At least he will know what has been done on the truck
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 12-23-2022, 11:37 AM   #41
chevmn

From my perspective, I would not even consider hiring a vehicle restored in this day and time for a couple reasons. 1. I could not afford todays shop rates. 2. I have paid shops and been very disappointed in the results. And it is not just the body/paint profession. The same applies to other professions. HVAC, Concrete work, roofing, electrical, you name it......I see it everywhere. Guys go out and go into business, put a pretty wrap on a pickup, and suddenly they profess to be a pro, and expect $50-$100 an hour (or more), and make promises they either cannot keep or won't keep. Once in a while you can find someone who has experience, willing to work, and does the work on time and for a decent price, but those are getting harder and harder to find. Example.....a few years ago I was looking for someone to do a small concrete job. After several calls most never showed to even bid the job, one said it could not be done -- after him not returning my call, and I had to call him back a few weeks later. One would "call me back in a couple days once he got some material prices", and never heard back. I heard about an older gentleman (over 80) still doing concrete work, and gave him a call. He gave me what I considered a good price, and said it would be no problem. He was there when he promised, and if for any reason he was going to be late or one day had a Dr. appointment he called to let me know. The job was a 12x40 slab bridge over a stream on my property. He used fiber reinforcement concrete, provided the materials and labor, and when done the price was just a little over $2500 (yes materials included). Look around - there are still a few skilled, experienced individuals who still work for a fair price. But those are extremely tough to find these days (my concrete guy passed away about a year ago sadly). I did notice that the guy doing my concrete drove a 30 year old beat up rusty F150 vs. the guys in the new $80,000 trucks with the pretty wrap with job prices accordingly and never showed up to even bid the job. The best restored trucks (and cars) I have seen, are not done in pro shops......they are usually out of home shops by guys who do not restore vehicles for a living. You can purchase a lot of tools for 10-20K, especially if you shop around.
chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 11:57 AM   #42
davischevy

Nobody wants to paint these old vehicles. We don't even ask prices, and We can't get anyone to talk to us, let alone get three quotes.

We have to completely disassemble a rig, blast or strip it and do the body work now to get one painted. Then we have to assemble it.

$12,000 to $20,000 seems to be the norm nowadays, depending on the rust and scope of disassembly, bodywork and reassembly.

My doors have been in the shop 10 months. As soon as I can get another shop built, I am going to start painting my own again.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 12:59 PM   #43
tutone

Labor is your enemy for sure. I am waist deep in this camaro build (between trucks), and the cost of supplies isn't as bad as I first expected. A couple hundred is going to get the car to 90% ready, and then priming and sealing. That said, I am dealing with aftermarket sheet metal on the front of this car. Granted, I could have searched for a pair of repairable fenders and extensions, but I opted to trudge forward with the new fenders I had. I am very close to 20 hrs in panel gapping the front end. It fits as good as most original GM cars did off the assembly line. Because it is a driver and a local cruise in car, I am not going to kill myself on it. Mig wire, scrap pieces off other pieces of patch panels, and a little filler, and I am making it work on the cheap. I am not nearly done, but you get the idea. If you can do it and are willing to do the heavy lifting, then a paint job will be much more affordable.
Attached Images

1955 210 2 dr sedan/1998 RCSB Z71
tutone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 01:43 PM   #44
CAMAROBOY68SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutone View Post
Labor is your enemy for sure. I am waist deep in this camaro build (between trucks), and the cost of supplies isn't as bad as I first expected. A couple hundred is going to get the car to 90% ready, and then priming and sealing. That said, I am dealing with aftermarket sheet metal on the front of this car. Granted, I could have searched for a pair of repairable fenders and extensions, but I opted to trudge forward with the new fenders I had. I am very close to 20 hrs in panel gapping the front end. It fits as good as most original GM cars did off the assembly line. Because it is a driver and a local cruise in car, I am not going to kill myself on it. Mig wire, scrap pieces off other pieces of patch panels, and a little filler, and I am making it work on the cheap. I am not nearly done, but you get the idea. If you can do it and are willing to do the heavy lifting, then a paint job will be much more affordable.
I feel your pain on that one. I went through all that mess with my 68 Camaro, luckily I had good original fenders to start with, the car had been in a accident at some point and with how those cars were originally assembled makes for aligning the nose a big ol pain in the rear.

C10 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=833278

The "Others"
1933 Ford Pickup (Camaro in disguise)
2017 Camaro SS

Life long Chevy guy
CAMAROBOY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 02:06 PM   #45
chevmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamariv View Post
Well said! I built a custom home a few years back and this was my experience as well. No pride in workmanship and most trades just did the VERY LEAST they could get away with to get paid..just brutal..

The thing that baffles me is having a shop rate of $120 an hour for body work, that's absolutely ridiculous when most shops are probably paying an apprentice $20 an hour to block sand.

I'll be doing my own body work on my truck just like I've done all of my mechanic work for the past decade after being let down repeatedly by "mechanics" who don't give a crap about your car or stuff. If you want it done right, do it yourself is now my motto.
Your $120/hr comment got me started again. My wife often takes her 2020 vehicle to the dealership for basic service. They have her convinced that her warranty is voided if I perform the same service, and rather than argue, I have kept quiet so far. About a week ago she told me she noticed that they neglected to even replace the valve stem caps after a rotation and (I assume pressure check). I offered to put some on, but she insisted she would stop and let them do it to point out the neglect (did I mention the shop rates??). Maybe part of that cost is the nice shuttle service and free snacks and refreshments they offer, but for the prices I have very high expectations of their services. I could go on and on about my experiences at shops, and why I now own a two post overhead lift, diagnostic scanner, and have spent a lot of $$ purchasing countless tools to avoid putting my vehicles in shops that I cannot trust. Things sure have changed. I recall when they guys changing oil, rotating tires, etc barely made enough to make ends meet, and often a shop was either heated with wood, if it had heat at all (never air conditioned), but for the most part the work was done right, and you could actually see and speak with the guy doing the work....usually it was the owner, and he was accountable for his work. Who knows, but this is likely the reason we see so many vehicles in the scrap yard with no obvious signs of a reason.....the owner simply cannot afford to fix them so they scrap them and buy another, then the cycle repeats

Last edited by chevmn; 12-23-2022 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-23-2022, 03:29 PM   #46
Jason Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevmn View Post
From my perspective, I would not even consider hiring a vehicle restored in this day and time for a couple reasons. 1. I could not afford todays shop rates. 2. I have paid shops and been very disappointed in the results. And it is not just the body/paint profession. The same applies to other professions. HVAC, Concrete work, roofing, electrical, you name it......I see it everywhere. Guys go out and go into business, put a pretty wrap on a pickup, and suddenly they profess to be a pro, and expect $50-$100 an hour (or more), and make promises they either cannot keep or won't keep. Once in a while you can find someone who has experience, willing to work, and does the work on time and for a decent price, but those are getting harder and harder to find. Example.....a few years ago I was looking for someone to do a small concrete job. After several calls most never showed to even bid the job, one said it could not be done -- after him not returning my call, and I had to call him back a few weeks later. One would "call me back in a couple days once he got some material prices", and never heard back. I heard about an older gentleman (over 80) still doing concrete work, and gave him a call. He gave me what I considered a good price, and said it would be no problem. He was there when he promised, and if for any reason he was going to be late or one day had a Dr. appointment he called to let me know. The job was a 12x40 slab bridge over a stream on my property. He used fiber reinforcement concrete, provided the materials and labor, and when done the price was just a little over $2500 (yes materials included). Look around - there are still a few skilled, experienced individuals who still work for a fair price. But those are extremely tough to find these days (my concrete guy passed away about a year ago sadly). I did notice that the guy doing my concrete drove a 30 year old beat up rusty F150 vs. the guys in the new $80,000 trucks with the pretty wrap with job prices accordingly and never showed up to even bid the job. The best restored trucks (and cars) I have seen, are not done in pro shops......they are usually out of home shops by guys who do not restore vehicles for a living. You can purchase a lot of tools for 10-20K, especially if you shop around.
I was just thinking the other day, I won't hire one of those guys with the really nice wrapped truck, EVER.

Nice truck and no wrap, I'm ok with. Service Van with a wrap, sure. Well worked truck, that's my guy.
Jason Banks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 04:17 PM   #47
chevmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Banks View Post
I was just thinking the other day, I won't hire one of those guys with the really nice wrapped truck, EVER.

Nice truck and no wrap, I'm ok with. Service Van with a wrap, sure. Well worked truck, that's my guy.
Almost.... Well worked truck, with job prices accordingly that's my guy.
Old 12-23-2022, 04:44 PM   #48
72c20customcamper

The hourly rate isn’t just the guy working on the car . Garage keepers liability ,workers comp , propert tax , heat , hazardous waste removal , there’s a lot more I haven’t listed . The overhead started to spiral out of control lat 90s early 2000s . EPA came in and made my uncle upgrade equipment to the point he closed up his shop of 50 plus years .
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 12-24-2022, 03:27 PM   #49
ApacheNick

We need to know more to know if that quote is reasonable or not. Are you doing the disassembly, paint prep, reassembly or is the shop?

I am just finishing up a complete restore on a 2004 GM at work. I'm talking new fenders, new used box with new sides and all rust cut out of the wheelwells, new rockers and cab corners plus two layers of hand made backing plates, rust cut out of all 4 doors, all dents repaired and a complete paint job. I think it's sitting at about 30,000 right now.

As for these horror stories of jobs sitting in the corner for years, there's always two sides to the story...
We've had the above mentioned truck in our shop for about 3 months now, and it well be going back to the owner next week.

1961 Apache short stepside 4X4 SBW 348/4 speed
1960 Apache C-20 long fleet custom cab BBW 283/4 Speed
1967 rust bucket Olds Cutlass with a 455
1972 GMC K-15 350/4 speed long fleet
ApacheNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 07:28 PM   #50
jabborabbo

tutone is exactly right!!! He’s absolutely on the money!!!