The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
danman987123

Tubular Control Arms? WORTH IT?

guys i was just wondering i think tubular control arms leak great....they have a more clean and simple look, and im sure weigh less. I was looking at this complete kit from performance online.. http://www.performanceonline.com/sto...cat=780&page=1 it has everything both uppers and lowers.....ball joints springs and shocks....just dont know if its really worth the grand to spend....just wondering if anyone out there has ever bought this kit before. i would like to use that kit with mcgaughy's big brake kit... http://www.mcgaughys.com/bigbrake.html or if just anyone has opinions like dont even waste your money on tubular control arms or yes buy tubular its a great big plus to have...etc etc..thanks for any help and opinions guys...
danman987123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
70rs/ss

Re: Tubular Control Arms? WORTH IT?

I am too cheap to drop a grand on them, but that does not mean they are not "worth it" it just means I have not noticed in my trucks the need for them over the stock stamped ones. If you lean on the truck at all and have big 18-20+" tires/wheels on one of these, then yeah you could flex the stamped ones and the tubular stuff would help that. As for pricing the upper and lower arms sell for about $6-80 for a pair so the $G sounds OK with all the other stuff. Hope that helped a bit.

I plan to use a set of tubular arms on my 70 Camaro, due to the fact that it will get leaned on and the 70's oe stuff was a known weak link in geometry and the tubular stuff greatly improves those weaknesses.
70rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
danman987123

ya truck will have 2.5 drop spindles and 2 inch springs in front. the back will have 4-5 inch spring...boss 338's in 20x8.5 in front and 20x10 in the rear.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #4
mclairmo

Not worth it IMO. Put the money where it will really count, like paint and body or new rims/tires. I spent way too much money on fancy crap like that for my 67 Camaro and now regret it. However, I can at least sell my Camaro for what I put into it. The grand you spend on those tubular arms for your truck will never be recovered and many people will not even notice it. They sure will notice nice new paint or shiny new rims. I am going low buck on my truck all the way around. The stamped arms are plenty strong enough. I've never seen one fail. Also, those tubular arms are only as strong as the welds that keep the tubes together and who know how good they are or if there is sufficient metal to metal contact at the weld. Seems to me they are actually weaker arms if not reinforced or gusseted somehow.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
Boomerswany
Retiredoldfarttankerguy

I've had the same dilema.. but, IMO to expensive also. Shipped my lowers to NFAMUS for some LCA cups... truly artistic, in thier own rights.

Swany

Current 67-72 truck projo - #5 of 6 and #1,000,000... of all the other things that keep me from working on it.

Fav - local parts shop. They ship world-wide. www.fillingstation.com
Boomerswany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Will you benefit from reduced unsprung weight? No, most quality built tubular arms are not really lighter than stamped OEM arms.

Since you are going with a mild drop the real advantage won't be that significant. The "real" advantage to aftermarket arms are as stated is "added caster for increased performance, with heavy duty construction to eliminate deflection".

I have never seen the POL version, but I can assure you the Air Ride Technology "Strong Arms" are just that. They are extremely beefy and the weld quality is amazing. I have no doubt they will have minimal flex under a load.

Having recently installed the ART Strong Arms on my bagged 77 Cheyenne, along with their "Musclebar" sway bar, I can attest the real advantage will come with greater adjustability in suspension geometry.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:08 AM   #7
danman987123

ok guys...thanks for the info... i guess i better think more about the tubular setup thing.....maybe that grand is really better used somewhere else....just wanted to know what people thought about the idea...i am still kind of undecided..
Old 10-23-2009, 07:01 AM   #8
ripdog28

IMO, Susp/drivetrain/then looks in order or importance. If you push a 40+ yr old stamped piece into a corner, it may not bend but i assure you, it will flex. If your just cruising at 10-20 then no problem but i plan on using my truck when done. A suspension not properly tuned/set up will make you hate your truck or could kill you. I spaired no expense on my suspension and will probly go and do more once drivable. I have the POL lower arms and ECE uppers, just went with who had the best price on a pair. Both are top quality. A grand for the suspension and a more on brakes is better used then same spent on the paint.
462ci, forged crank, H-beam rods, 10.5-1 KB forged pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 308cc, Straub Cam, Comp Cams chrome moly full rollers, Weiand Team G, Prosystems 950, TH400/3500 Dalenzie stall, Currie 9+ Detroit Locker w/31spline axles.3.5/6in drop. My Build.
ripdog28 is offline   Reply With Quote