The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2017, 12:46 PM   #51
i82much

Re: Why all the hype about horse power and torque?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972RedNeck View Post
This is almost as good what brand of oil is best.

When it comes to horsepower and torque measurements, one is no good without the other.
Technically, power tells us the rate at which work is done. As a consequence, we can calculate the acceleration of a given load knowing only the horsepower without knowing the torque. It does not matter whether we have 200 ft lbs of torque at 1000 RPM or 100 ft lbs of torque at 200 RPM, we simply change the gear ratio and the load accelerates at the same rate.

Practically speaking, knowing both the peak power and the peak torque and the respective RPMs at which they occur gives us a good bit of insight into how much average power the engine makes across a range of engine speeds. This sometimes results in some real confusion over what the word "torque" really means.

If we could have an infinitely variable CVT, we could always accelerate a load fastest by using the engine with the highest peak horsepower we could find and running that engine at that RPM. Engine torque would quite literally be irrelevant. Since we can't do that in practice, we manipulate gearing the best we can to suit the output characteristics of the engine we have, and it is very helpful to have an engine that produces a broad power curve which, when we rate the engine for peak power and torque, will show good low RPM torque numbers and good high RPM power numbers.
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:50 PM   #52
davepl

Quote:
It does not matter whether we have 200 ft lbs of torque at 1000 RPM or 100 ft lbs of torque at 200 RPM
I think you typo'd that, you probably meant that 200ftlb@1000rpm == 100ftlb@2000rpm.

I've always wondered why, with CVTs, they don't let you flash to and hold at peak hp while the gear ratio changes as the vehicle speeds up....
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:13 PM   #53
HO455
Post Whore

Formula 1 has experimented with CVT's but the fuel consumption is tremendous and really only useful for qualifications. The OE's are experimenting with the intent of maximizing fuel economy and lower emissions. Which is most likely the opposite of what you were hoping for. Reliability is why your seeing 6,7,8,9,&10 speed transmissions as they are currently more reliable than a true CVT.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:21 PM   #54
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
I've always wondered why, with CVTs, they don't let you flash to and hold at peak hp while the gear ratio changes as the vehicle speeds up....
I *think* that's been done, and it's one reason for CVT's image problem. The dreaded motorboat effect. People like to hear RPMs rise with increasing speed VS a constant steady drone as the speed increases.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 03:34 PM   #55
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
I *think* that's been done, and it's one reason for CVT's image problem. The dreaded motorboat effect. People like to hear RPMs rise with increasing speed VS a constant steady drone as the speed increases.
My wife has a Highlander Hybrid. When you're accelerating hard the engine runs up to speed and stays there while the CVT does its thing. It sounds like a sewing machine on crack cocaine.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:26 PM   #56
El Dorado Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by my56chevytruck View Post
I have run Edelbrocks and Holleys, no experience with Qjets, so I can only say I'm running an Edelbrock 600 on my BBC454 in my 56 truck. Since mine didn't have a manual fuel pump, I'm using a small electric pump and she starts right up, everytime. my .02 worth.
I have the edelbrock 600, model 1406 with electric choke on several of my vehicles, runs great on my wife's 454 in her suburban...edelbrocks are so easy to rebuild also,unlike quadrajets...i don't like holley carbs...had no luck with them...you can order one thru summit for about $325.00
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:41 AM   #57
dennislbrooks

My reasoning --- If it has a spread bore manifold, put a correct quadrajet on it. The timing, choke, and idle can usually be adjusted for a reasonable street setup. I run a quadrajet on my 70 442 -electric choke- and my 67 K10 bbc -divorced choke. No they are not daily drivers but I want them to act right when I start, drive, and stop. I do not find quadrajets hard to rebuild.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:27 PM   #58
jeffahart

Quote:
I thought the image problem was the lawnmower type pull starter! When I was I kid one of my friends had a Rokon. In case anyone doesn't remember they had the salsbury snow mobile CVT(I think anyway, but it was CVT). Anyhow, it had the lawnmower pull starter....

Boy did he get the ribbing at the track pulling that pig like a lawnmower to start it. Yes, he would show up at the track at Indian Dunes with that thing. I always think of that Rokon when I hear CVT!

Funny
Old 02-28-2017, 01:32 PM   #59
davepl

Quote:
Then you just have to be going fast enough that the Doppler shift is pronounced and people will get used to -that- sound :-)

Quote:
When you're accelerating hard the engine runs up to speed and stays there while the CVT does its thing. It sounds like a sewing machine on crack cocaine
That's awesome, that's what it should do! I'm surprised they do it... would like to hear it for myself!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote