The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
powerT

Cutting coil springs

Going to lower the 83. Thinking about cutting the front springs ,how many coils to cut off to lower it 2.5-3 in.
Posted via Mobile Device
powerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
fm$ kid

Re: Cutting coil springs

Just start cutting one coil at a time. Its how I did in my lowriders. Cut a coil, install them, and ride around so that they get wore in a lil bit.
Posted via Mobile Device
12 Altima - stock and shiny - the wifemobile!
A long time ago an OG once told me a great piece of advice...he said..."if their ain't a lowrider scene where u go....make one"...so I did.
fm$ kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
rwhit57

one full coil will get you about 2". Anything beyond that and you start having issues with not enough bolt on the upper control arms to reset the camber.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
Square_78

I had lots of bolt left on mine to adjust my camber. I guess it depends on the truck. Mine came down 5" in the front with cut springs. Rides the same as it did stock. I actually wish it was a little stiffer. But yes 57 is correct. One coil = aprox 2" drop. I put in heavy duty shocks and its a bit better/stiffer now. I might even try heavier 3/4 ton coils and see how they feel. Anymore than 4" and you will have to cut out your front metal bump stop base because you will be bottoming out on them over bumps. I am going to cut off the metal bump stop base and reattach the rubber bump stop to the lower control arm to give me more travel... for now anyways. Hopefully I will bag the front over the winter.
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
cory d

i did 1 1/2 coil and it sat on the bump stop. were is this bolt at to adjust camber?
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #6
walka

How is the Ride after Cutting Coils?
walka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
powerT

How far did 1 1/2 coils take it
Posted via Mobile Device
powerT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
cory d

it droped 4" and the ride was like it was before, just a little stiffer which i think is a good thing
Old 04-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
rwhit57

Quote:
Originally Posted by cory d View Post
i did 1 1/2 coil and it sat on the bump stop. were is this bolt at to adjust camber?
Hey, I was referring to the bolts that go through the upper control arm shaft. It's where the shims are for alignment/camber. Most often with much more than a coil those bolts aren't long enough to get the camber back straight. I have heard of folks installing longer bolts. I have 3" spindles with one coil cut and I have plenty of adjustment. Before with 2 coils cut and no drop spindles, I didn't have enough adjustment.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:26 AM   #10
Square_78

Quote:
Originally Posted by walka View Post
How is the Ride after Cutting Coils?
Mine rides the same as it did before. I installed the heavy duty front shocks and it rides pretty good now. I have air shocks in the back so the whole thing rides like a Cadillac even with lots of drop.

This is mine the day I lowered it. Excuse the dirt... Ive got smaller tires on the front now so its an inch lower and sits level... Camber isnt too bad, but definately in need of an alignment. I was expecting it to ride rough, but it not rough at all. Its surprisingly good.

This is the camber before alignment... you can see the front doesnt look bad at all, and there is still about an inch of bolt sticking out to add shims too... I havent taken it in yet, but hopefully this week I can get the alignment done when i do my center support carrier bearing and u-joints.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

You do NOT want to cut more than 1.5 coil, and I don't recommend any more than a coil. Depending on the condition of your stock coil you will get about .5" per half coil. If you cut more than 1 coil, you will have limited adjustment for alignment, and your prone to bottoming out.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #12
misternash2

so you're saying that 1 coil and 3" spindles won't bottom out very bad? i'm lowering a suburban and i was looking at this in the front and flipping the rear. silly question, maybe, but is a c-notch required with a flip kit?

this pic is what i'm looking for. (i have no idea who's truck this is, but if it's yours, it looks great!). i believe these wheels are 22's, but i'll be running 20's with a taller tire. i'll be somewhere in the same overall tire height area. i may do an air kit this winter, depending on how i like the ride.

1. will an approximate 5/7 (which is what i gather i'm looking at) drop get me where i wanna go?
2. will i be okay to tow my bass boat with this setup without bottoming out?
Attached Images

misternash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #13
Malo83
Cruzzzn' Vet

This is my 83 with 2 cut coils and flip kit, with 2 coils cut you will have to run longer bolts and a spacer to get back your alignment, been running this setup for the last 29 years with no problems, rides as good as stock

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Malo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:55 AM   #14
Square_78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malo83 View Post
This is my 83 with 2 cut coils and flip kit, with 2 coils cut you will have to run longer bolts and a spacer to get back your alignment, been running this setup for the last 29 years with no problems, rides as good as stock
Your truck has the perfect stance. You definately dont need to be any lower than this for a daily driver. That suburban above doesnt look like its lowered very much at all. Looks like a 3/4" drop at the most. I could be wrong because I havent looked at many Squares with 22's, but im looking at all the space under the frame and it looks pretty high up.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #15
slam59

Quote:

Hey Malo your truck sits exactly how I want my 74 to sit. Looks good. I told my friend thats how I wanna lower mine and with funds so tight right now, I dont have the cash for lower springs and spindles. He says they dont ride good with cut coils, but alot of others here say theirs ride just fine. You say yours rides real good huh? You say longer bolts , where are these bolts located and what do they go to? I have never done this and do not know.
slam59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #16
J Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by slam59 View Post
Hey Malo your truck sits exactly how I want my 74 to sit. Looks good. I told my friend thats how I wanna lower mine and with funds so tight right now, I dont have the cash for lower springs and spindles. He says they dont ride good with cut coils, but alot of others here say theirs ride just fine. You say yours rides real good huh? You say longer bolts , where are these bolts located and what do they go to? I have never done this and do not know.
This is the bolt you have to replace, the factory bolt is splined and pressed in like a lug stud and a longer replacement bolt is not. This is the way we did it before drop spindles were available. If you dont tack weld the bolt in you will have to use a back up wrench to get the shims tight(your alignment guy will hate you). Also going this route by cutting 2 or more rounds off of the stock springs, everytime you lift the truck off the ground the spring will move out of its "seat". Personally I do not recommend this type of drop.

If you want to go that low on a budget you can get spindles and a flip kit and an alignment for under $400 done right with only these parts, you dont have to buy the $500 plus kits with all the bells and whistles.
Attached Images

Last edited by J Knight; 04-23-2012 at 05:31 PM.
J Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #17
slam59

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Knight View Post
This is the bolt you have to replace, the factory bolt is splined and pressed in like a lug stud and a longer replacement bolt is not. This is the way we did it before drop spindles were available. If you dont tack weld the bolt in you will have to use a back up wrench to get the shims tight(your alignment guy will hate you). Also going this route by cutting 2 or more rounds off of the stock springs, everytime you lift the truck off the ground the spring will move out of its "seat". Personally I do not recommend this type of drop.

If you want to go that low on a budget you can get spindles and a flip kit and an alignment for under $400 done right with only these parts, you dont have to buy the $500 plus kits with all the bells and whistles.
What set up did u get on your truck JKnight at under $400?
slam59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #18
cory d

Quote:
Originally Posted by misternash2 View Post
so you're saying that 1 coil and 3" spindles won't bottom out very bad? i'm lowering a suburban and i was looking at this in the front and flipping the rear. silly question, maybe, but is a c-notch required with a flip kit?

this pic is what i'm looking for. (i have no idea who's truck this is, but if it's yours, it looks great!). i believe these wheels are 22's, but i'll be running 20's with a taller tire. i'll be somewhere in the same overall tire height area. i may do an air kit this winter, depending on how i like the ride.

1. will an approximate 5/7 (which is what i gather i'm looking at) drop get me where i wanna go?
2. will i be okay to tow my bass boat with this setup without bottoming out?
if its a half ton burb you might not have to go that far, most i se are already sagging a couple inches
Old 04-24-2012, 12:00 AM   #19
J Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by slam59 View Post
What set up did u get on your truck JKnight at under $400?
This is what I bought with free shipping, plus cut one round off front springs, remove bumpstops front and rear. If you order this be sure to check your rotor thickness to get the right spindle (same price).

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/fr...mcg33154-.aspx

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/re...mfk10245-.aspx

Last edited by J Knight; 04-24-2012 at 12:05 AM.
J Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:19 AM   #20
ivorton74

Quote:

wow!! u see this is what i want my 74 to look like.that is a killer stance. man i just cant wait to drop mine. geeezzz!!
ivorton74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:32 AM   #21
cory d

the licence plate is killer too