The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2016, 10:46 AM   #26
C1ph3r

Re: Papaw's truck - A C1ph3r build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwright View Post
Oh, my... I don't know if it's any kind of consolation, but I can empathize with you. I have exactly the same problem. Everything thing I touch blows up, falls apart, breaks, or disintegrates.

So, did your steering wheel threads look anything like this when you were done?
YES! Exactly like that. I was terrified/angry. Luckily living in Concord NC we have a lot of industrial places with all the race teams. Headed over to Fastenal got me a die and fixed it right up.

Glad I'm not the only one that causes himself more work than is called for.

Last edited by C1ph3r; 03-31-2016 at 05:22 PM.
C1ph3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:14 PM   #27
C1ph3r

Alright. Got some stuff done today.

turn signals: just needed a new relay. they were wicked slow. they are acceptable now. and brighter oddly enough.

horn: turns out the horn relay wasn't plugged in properly.

windshield washer: blew out the lines and filter, poured in some washer fluid, and voila. windshield washer working.

slow wipers: well, my wiper arm transmission linkage was really rusty. i tried to lube them up but they are still not very loose. i wish they came apart so i could get some lube down into them. new ones are pricey. So, they are a little faster so i will deal for now.

installed passenger side door seal. Got the full cab weatherstrip kit from GMCPaul. Wicked fast shipping. The seals are the press on kind and work great. i did not have to adjust my door nor do i have to slam the door so hard i feel like i am beating my truck to death. we will see how the drivers side goes.

replaced my wiper blades with some stainless re-pops from truck and car shop. arms are original. just the blades were replaced.

Oh, I also installed my wheels and tires.

Last edited by C1ph3r; 03-31-2016 at 05:21 PM.
C1ph3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:40 PM   #28
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Glad to hear you got some things working.

Your work ethic sounds like me. WE go at it well, but dang do I tear me (and somethings the vehicle) up.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:16 PM   #29
C1ph3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Glad to hear you got some things working.

Your work ethic sounds like me. WE go at it well, but dang do I tear me (and somethings the vehicle) up.
Thanks. And yes. Somethings always getting torn up.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:18 PM   #30
C1ph3r

Some new updates and problems. I will create other threads for the issues as well.

First I replaced all of the weather stripping in both doors. The door and window weather stripping. Only old cab rubber is the front and back windows. Will get to those later

Also got a replacement exhaust from Heartthrob. True duals. Having some serious fitment issues. Only have the drivers side done at the moment. See link below.

Problem with the window rubber, it takes both hands to get the vent windows to shut.
Anyone else have this problem? This is using the weather stripping kit from GMCPauls. It is Precision Replacement Parts.

Next issue, exhaust clearance.

So to not clutter up the build thread, here is my link to my exhaust clearance issues. Heartthrob Clearance Issues
Old 04-22-2016, 10:16 AM   #31
C1ph3r

finally got the exhaust finished. tons of issues. I have about 25 hours or so into installing a "bolt on" kit. many alignment and clearance issues. ended up braking a manifold to flange stud and had to drill and tap that.

I also got some Band-Style clamps from summit instead of using the regular exhaust clamps that crimp the pipe. This was a suggestion by MikeB in his thread HERE

in the end, i had to cut off the tail pipes and just have it dump behind the axle. could never get the tail pipes to exit straight and level. driver's side down pipe hangs about an inch or 2 lower than the passenger side.

Also, its very loud. I guess loud is relative but way louder than i was expecting or wanting. I will live with it and maybe it will grow on me. Still cant drive the truck yet but once I do I will give some feedback on cab noise. Exhaust videos suck when shot with a phone but I will make one of those as well so folks can hear it.

Next on the list is my new carb from National Carburetors. Some modification will have to be done there as well.

The carb they sent me was set up with an electric choke per my request. However, it has 2 fuel inlets. My stock carb only has one. Not sure what to do about this. Guess we will see.

Stay tuned.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:36 AM   #32
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Show us pics of the new carb..

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:45 AM   #33
C1ph3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Show us pics of the new carb..
Sure thing. Didnt think to post it here for help since I could just call National Carbs. But I appreciate any help I can get.

Here is the other fuel feed port on the rear. I assume that's what it is anyway. Looks like the same type fitting on the front fuel port.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:26 PM   #34
Ol Blue K20

The port on the rear is vacuum port for power brakes. If you don't have power brakes, you can remove the fitting and replace it with a pipe plug.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 04-22-2016, 01:36 PM   #35
C1ph3r

Quote:
The port on the rear is vacuum port for power brakes. If you don't have power brakes, you can remove the fitting and replace it with a pipe plug.
Oh that's good news. I do however have power brakes. I didn't see where my current booster attaches. Must be a bit different. Not at my truck right now but this is good news.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:04 PM   #36
Ol Blue K20

You will probably find them hooked up there unless someone changed it. Let us know what you find.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 04-22-2016, 04:04 PM   #37
C1ph3r

Quote:
You will probably find them hooked up there unless someone changed it. Let us know what you find.
So here is where it's hooked up on my truck. Is there a plug of some sort that i can get to put on the carb, or should i route my booster to the carb and plug the spot where it is connected on the one side of the T on the intake manifold?

Old 04-22-2016, 04:07 PM   #38
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Originally Posted by C1ph3r View Post
So here is where it's hooked up on my truck. Is there a plug of some sort that i can get to put on the carb, or should i route my booster to the carb and plug the spot where it is connected on the one side of the T on the intake manifold?

That'll work well, you can install a pipe plug in the carb.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 04-22-2016, 04:37 PM   #39
C1ph3r

Ok cool. Well that makes life a lot easier than doing what i was thinking would have to happen with the fuel. That would have been a mess. Thanks so much! Now just to find out the threads for that guy and off to the hardware store. Life saver man. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:02 PM   #40
Ol Blue K20

No problem.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 04-27-2016, 06:09 PM   #41
C1ph3r

Monumental day! Got the new carb installed and WOW! The old fella runs like a top. Just perfect. No more smoking!

Now on to the ignition tune up. Going to go with a set of Summit 8mm wires kit, some sort of wire looms to clean up the current plug wire rats nest, and new plugs.

Any recommendations on plugs? Did some searches but cant seem to find a solid recommendation for just a stock engine? Well the exhaust is a true duels setup but that shouldn't matter.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #42
Ol Blue K20

Quote:
Monumental day! Got the new carb installed and WOW! The old fella runs like a top. Just perfect. No more smoking!

Now on to the ignition tune up. Going to go with a set of Summit 8mm wires kit, some sort of wire looms to clean up the current plug wire rats nest, and new plugs.

Any recommendations on plugs? Did some searches but cant seem to find a solid recommendation for just a stock engine? Well the exhaust is a true duels setup but that shouldn't matter.
Stock engine with stock ignition. I use ordinary Autolite or AC.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 04-28-2016, 02:13 PM   #43
C1ph3r

That's what I was thinking. Just wasn't sure if part number or heat and all that. Summit lists so many options for this engine my head was swimming.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:48 PM   #44
Troy Sr

Quote:
First real update. Sorry it is a long one. More of a problem journal than anything.

Brought the truck home Friday from my dads. what a drive. 2 hours on the interstate in this old fella. Thank the Lord it didn't rain.

Problem: no over flow catch for the radiator. not really a problem but I want one
Fix: rig up some sort of over flow tank

Also the radio doesn't work. But that's also a repair for phase 2 or 3.

I think that's it for now. All I can think of after having the truck for a day.
I've seen it done, you can order another windshield washer tank and bracket and mount it opposite of where your washer tank is. Looks factory and works great.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:14 PM   #45
C1ph3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Sr View Post
I've seen it done, you can order another windshield washer tank and bracket and mount it opposite of where your washer tank is. Looks factory and works great.
Thanks. Already got one. Just havent gotten a chance to install it. May do that in the morning actually.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:06 PM   #46
C1ph3r

well another update. Got the new carb on like i said and i thought it was running well. turns out its really rich at idle. so bad in fact the fumes make it unbearable if its running in the garage for any more than a second. So after some learning, i discovered there are idle mix screws. Yes I am a carb newb and had no idea. Going to work on that today.

On another note, i fixed a terrible transmission leak. turned out to be some sort of 2 prong sensor or something on the passenger side of the tranny. wasnt plugged into anything so i removed it and plugged the hole. Looks like the really bad leak has now been fixed.

also, ordered a HEI dizzy from Skip White on ebay. Wow. Order Friday and was on my doorstep this morning. The day after. Wow. Just wow. With that, i have a set of 8mm plug wires and new plugs coming from summit.

Next leak to tackle is this terrible valve cover leak. I could have spent the hours (im sure most could do it faster but I am slow) trying to get my steel VCs flat and working with it. Instead, again from Skip White, got a set of aluminum valve covers. Pairing that with a nice FelPro gasket.

What else? Oh got my rad overflow bottle installed. Truck actually seems to be running cooler now. Could just be me and a very old temp gauge. Also added some LED license plate bolts because the other set up for a license plate light was TRASH! Lastly, got a proper plug for my conversion to an electric choke. Amazon of all places.

thats it for now. i will flood yall with pics once things start coming together.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:09 PM   #47
C1ph3r

oh yea, one question for yall. So since my dizzy, plugs and plug wires are all coming out and new going in, plus the addition of the new carb, i will be setting my timing soon.

i have NO, ZERO, NADA, timing marks. I have the one line on the balancer but the point or whatever it is on the block is so rusty its just a piece of steel. Any advice on that?
Old 05-07-2016, 03:48 PM   #48
Ol Blue K20

Try cleaning the tab, the lines and numbers are stamped. It doesn't take much crud to fill them in.

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 05-07-2016, 05:08 PM   #49
C1ph3r

Quote:
Try cleaning the tab, the lines and numbers are stamped. It doesn't take much crud to fill them in.
Ok good to know. I will do that when I install the new dizzy this week.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:22 PM   #50
C1ph3r

oh man. I have never named any of my vehicles before. But today, Papaws truck got a name; Chuck. Short for Charlie Brown.

I've always been a real life walking Charlie Brown. Nothing ever goes right.

Well, after the stupid nit picky small little events of the day, it is only fitting to name the truck, Charlie Brown.

replacing the heat riser valve turned into a new exhaust.

fixing leaky valve covers, turned into new valve covers. bought cheap ones so had to buy a rat tail file to open up mounting holes. New VC lead to new breather. Which lead to rigging up a hose from new breather to port on air cleaner spacer. had to buy new grommet to fit pcv valve into new VCs.

new wire looms lead to needing new bolts. Bought a crap load of bolts that turned out to not fit. Back to cutting bolts to make shorter bolts. should have done that to begin with.

new air cleaner because I finally wanted to get a just because part and not a have to part. well, stupid air cleaner stud is too short.

new carb lead me down the road of finding out my dizzy is bad. not a bad thing to figure out but it never ends.

tuning idle and idle mix screw turned up a noisy lifter or rocker.

so frustrating going to the parts store, thinking i have what i need, only to get back home and find its either wrong or i need more stuff. one thing after another.

if only i was a better planner.

oh well. thanks for listening to the rant.

but here is my new air cleaner with the new sticker i made for it. with an artsy fartsy filter.
Attached Images