The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2017, 08:50 AM   #26
Grumpy old man

Re: deadly alignment?

alignment shops of today just aren't equipped to work on 50 year old trucks ...GO OLD SCHOOL

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ctrp-...ring-your-car/
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:30 AM   #27
jjzepplin

That's awesome!
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:34 AM   #28
James the III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
alignment shops of today just aren't equipped to work on 50 year old trucks ...GO OLD SCHOOL

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ctrp-...ring-your-car/
How so.. un equal a arms are not old.. as far as last used in a late model vehicle..
solid axle and leafs are even easier..
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:42 AM   #29
snipescastle2

Talking Re: deadly alignment?

I made a similar mistake in assembling my truck. There are a few things that can be bolted on backwards, I.e. Upper control arms, lower control arms, idler arm, so one word of advice for people unfamiliar with these trucks (and I'm not saying this is what you have encountered) but the best suggestion I can make for people attempting to start a project like this is to take as many pictures as you can, prior to starting, for reference. My truck was a complete "Basket Case" I myself, had both upper control arms swapped left for right. When I took it in for alignment, the tech said something was dead wrong, posted a few pics here and within minutes, had it corrected, then back to the alignment shop, everything was right on the money then. I had installed my idler arm correctly, but some have installed it upside down. Just saying.....
Have a good one!
Ben

Last edited by snipescastle2; 02-16-2017 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Changes
snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:45 AM   #30
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by James the III View Post
How so.. un equal a arms are not old.. as far as last used in a late model vehicle..
solid axle and leafs are even easier..
How so ? 20 something year old techs using a computerized rack who deal with strut and rack and pinion steering daily just don't get the exposure to 50 year old trucks on a daily basis . the same analogy holds true for current glass mechanics who can't rope in a stainless trimmed windshield . Just because something is new doesn't make it better .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:11 AM   #31
B. W.

Any worn, loose or damaged steering components would have been detected by a competent alignment tech. Control arms in incorrect positions will also be detected. (caster would be way out) A center link installed 180° out may be missed. The final step in an alignment is to center the steering wheel. To insure the steering wheel is centered the tech must test drive the vehicle (& also confirm there is no pull, the vehicle tracks straight & does not wander.)

Did the tech test drive your truck after the alignment?
Did you get a readout of specs?
What brand & model of alignment machine was used?
What brand & model of alignment rack was used?

Grumpy Old Man is right but the new alignment machines have videos to show you what bolts to loosen, which way to turn something to make the adjustment & display the numbers in red (bad) yellow & green (good) I',m pretty sure my grandmother could do an alignment if she had the strength to loosen/tighten the bolts (well, she'd have to be alive also)

1. Confirm the center link is correctly installed
2. remove the P/S belt to eliminate the power steering system
3. take it to a competent alignment shop
B. W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #32
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
How so ? 20 something year old techs using a computerized rack who deal with strut and rack and pinion steering daily just don't get the exposure to 50 year old trucks on a daily basis . the same analogy holds true for current glass mechanics who can't rope in a stainless trimmed windshield . Just because something is new doesn't make it better .

I agree fully. While the links may be straight forward, the details may be lost on young techs, because they lack classics experience. Add the abundance of Chinese parts they assume replace than repair. Add no sight of the correct parts and they've never seen them before anyhow.

By some example are my Rochester carbs. Decades ago the guy threw on a manual choke no problem. Recently on another truck, I asked for the same, because I didn't want to deal with it and needed a choke soon. Despite the owner being your age-ish, I imagine, he looked at me like I was nuts and would only replace the carb. with an aftermarket.

Shame the OP isn't nearby. I recently found a GREAT shop and alignment is part of the business name. The owner is an older gent as well, only none of the BS like the other shop. Good character and he's built many classics. Won a bunch of awards too. Bet he'd diagnose the problem in a minute. Other than that, safe to assume the steering column is good?
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:12 PM   #33
NGN

This might be far but throwing this out there, how's the rear suspension, u bolts tight . I drove a 67 home and when I got on the highway up to just a bit over fifty five it moved and jerk bad, scary ride home .

Nick
Posted via Mobile Device
NGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:00 PM   #34
cdowns

DO YOU HAVE A FRONT SWAYBAR INSTALLED?rhat makes a big difference
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:31 AM   #35
fastlane

Ha! problem solved!!! maybe! I have installed the drag link backwards! I have not yet flipped it and taken it for a run (to busy! work, kids, lovely wife! not necessarily in that order!) but it will happen and I'll post an update! Ive got pics of the left, right, and upper control arms, I thought for a while I had those on backwards. and a pic of the truck just cuz its cool! you can't buy that patina! thats just crappy bodywork then left outside in a field for 30 years!
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2017, 10:13 AM   #36
Boog
laying low

Congrats. You shouldn't blame the alignment shop for not catching this as said most of the younger techs aren't familiar with 40 + yr old trucks.
However you might give thought to using a different shop. The toe and caster being off certainly can cause drivability issues too.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:59 PM   #37
davepl

Are your lower snubber/bumpers towards the rear or the front? I can't tell from the photo and you don't have a swaybar on... just trying to confirm they're on the right way.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:23 PM   #38
tdangle

Glad you figured it out. By the way, great picture. I never fully understood putting the drag link on backwards until you posted that picture. I compared your picture to mine and now understand.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:55 PM   #39
Wrenchbender Ret

It looks to me from the photos like the upper arms are on the wrong side.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:36 PM   #40
88fordf150

Looks like the Center link is on backwards, the ends should kick out toward the front of the truck.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:50 PM   #41
Boog
laying low

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Are your lower snubber/bumpers towards the rear or the front? I can't tell from the photo and you don't have a swaybar on... just trying to confirm they're on the right way.
They are on correct since the lower shock mounts aren't visible in the pic.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:56 PM   #42
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
Snubbers go towards the rear of the truck. In the photo of the upper control arm mount where the brake lines are visible, they are also on the rear of the control arm. So I think they're fine, from what I can see.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:09 AM   #43
fastlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
the first picture of the UCA is of the driver side, second is passenger side. I scrutinized that heavily! and also the caster would have been off the charts, and not able to be brought into alignment. I will try and get to to the garage today and turn some wrenches, then see what comes of it!

I'm just surprised that such a simple thing causes such a big problem. I'm also used to working on my daily drivers, where they've designed things so it cannot go on backwards! but then again this truck rolled off the production line 23 years before I was born! and I didn't own my first vehicle until 16 years after that! Thank God that it was a nearly barren highway on the way home and no one got hurt!
Old 02-19-2017, 09:31 AM   #44
James the III

Quote:
Man, when I look around at local cruises and shops with those young techs with old vehicles,, they must be all sending the work out and not doing it at the shop they work at, cause paying someone when you can do it yourself makes sense..
Sure not all techs are going to know , but sorry.. most do.
And those that don't it's only an all-data search away.. never mind the hunter machine showing how to do it.
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:43 PM   #45
jjzepplin

Updates?
Old 02-20-2017, 10:14 PM   #46
midniteblues

I couldn't imagine driveing out on the highway with the steering feeling that wacky.

Back when i made the same mistake, That trucks steering felt so weird i could only make it too the end of the alley and back.

I bet he is still out driveing his truck grinning ear to ear since flipping that link....

A sway bar would be a great addition
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.

Last edited by midniteblues; 02-20-2017 at 10:22 PM.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:22 PM   #47
fastlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteblues View Post
I couldn't imagine driveing out on the highway with the steering feeling that wacky.

Back when i made the same mistake, That trucks steering felt so weird i could only make it too the end of the alley and back.

I bet he is still out driveing his truck grinning ear to ear since flipping that link....

A sway bar would be a great addition
YES! What an amazing difference! I can hit a pothole at 80 mph and she just keeps on truckin... STRAIGHT! Its crazy how much such a little angle will make such a huge issue.

Thank you all for you input! I am very thankful for forums like this, I would have spent hundreds of dollars trying to diagnose this if it weren't for the trained eyes of the people on this forum! Thanks again!
Old 02-21-2017, 09:00 PM   #48
jjzepplin

Good to hear!
Old 02-21-2017, 09:32 PM   #49
Boog
laying low

You are welcome. I'm glad it took care of your issues. Now get out there and enjoy driving it.