The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
Low Elco

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Aaaahhhhh.... Happiness is a warm Sawzall. Do you have a standard Bridgeport?
Posted via Mobile Device
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Aaaahhhhh.... Happiness is a warm Sawzall. Do you have a standard Bridgeport?
Posted via Mobile Device
Not anymore. I had a Webb (Bridgeport knockoff) with a 9x42 table and DRO when I lived in Houston, but had no way to transport or set it up here. Sold it before the move and now have a small Grizzly mill/drill with a 8x22 table. It still uses R8 collets, so all my tooling is usable. Also had to swap my Logan 14x40 lathe for a 10x22 with a much smaller footprint. Most stuff I do anymore is small, so that's not an issue. I have a DRO for the mill but have never installed it. I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy of the smaller equipment. If it ever gets sloppy to the point that it can't be adjusted, I'll stick the readouts on it.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
Vic1947

Back on CRLS for a little while. Yanked the engine and exhaust this afternoon and found even more technical marvels. Note the quick disconnect air coupler on the intake manifold. No need for expensive turbos or superchargers, just hook up the 80 gal. compressed air tank stored in the bed and crack open the valve when you need that extra shot of go power. Also, I was impressed with the straight thread bolt in the NPT boss on the back of the carb. Check out the size of that puppy. Takes a 7/8" socket, so I figured the PO probably used an impact to tighten it. However, much to my surprise, a quarter turn using my fingers and it fell right out. No wonder we had to use a shot of ether to get 'er to fire.

I'm almost afraid to tear into the engine. No telling what I'll find there. Has to come apart, however, as I already know it has a bad head gasket. More later...
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
Back on CRLS for a little while. Yanked the engine and exhaust this afternoon and found even more technical marvels. Note the quick disconnect air coupler on the intake manifold. No need for expensive turbos or superchargers, just hook up the 80 gal. compressed air tank stored in the bed and crack open the valve when you need that extra shot of go power. Also, I was impressed with the straight thread bolt in the NPT boss on the back of the carb. Check out the size of that puppy. Takes a 7/8" socket, so I figured the PO probably used an impact to tighten it. However, much to my surprise, a quarter turn using my fingers and it fell right out. No wonder we had to use a shot of ether to get 'er to fire.

I'm almost afraid to tear into the engine. No telling what I'll find there. Has to come apart, however, as I already know it has a bad head gasket. More later...

Thats hilarious! forced air induction quick connect coupling

Nice sheet metal work on the speaker enclosures. Do you have a press brake too? Must also have a shrinker or ? english wheel for that curved flange on the repair piece? Impressive!

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket View Post
Nice sheet metal work on the speaker enclosures. Do you have a press brake too? Must also have a shrinker or ? english wheel for that curved flange on the repair piece? Impressive!
Thanks, Dan! I have a 4' box and pan (finger) brake and a small press brake for those tough-to-get-at bends. And, yes, a shrinker, stretcher and planishing hammer. However, I don't have the floor space to dedicate to an English wheel, so when I need to roll out a curved panel, I have a buddy with three of them in his shop.