The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2014, 08:32 AM   #1
Vals59

New Guy with a 59

Recently joined the forums here. Just picked up a 59 big window cab and nose.
I have been reading the forums here as much as possible. This will be a project I do with my 14 year old daughter.
One thing I am up in the air about if what frame to use? Thought I had decided on a mid 80`s c 10 . Then I decided a stock frame updated with a dropped front axle, power steering and disc brakes would be the way to go.
Those are the only 2 options I like.
Has anyone ever swapped the spring shackles in the front springs to the rear of the spring? Curious if it improved the ride. Also curious about the later c 10 fit. I did search all these questions and I got some good reading. Been even after all the reading still not sure what direction to go.
For a engine it will probably be a 350/350. The idea of a ls style engine has also been a thought. I already own the 350 though.
Anyways sorry for all the questions all at once, Look forward to hearing from you guys.
Thanks
Mike
Vals59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #2
Old Crow

Re: New Guy with a 59

Never actually heard of anybody swapping the spring perches on one of these old trucks, but I know the Jeep guys do it on the YJ Wranglers all the time. Supposed to help with the bump steer and the ride from what I hear.
The dudes that do a lot of extreme rock crawling and stuff don't like it because of some issue with the front driveline, but that shouldn't be a concern with one of these trucks.

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
_Ogre

kudos to you for including your 14 yr old daughter in the build
and welcome to the forum

a lot depends on your level of fabrication level and experience
with a low level of experience, i would recommend using a stock frame with modifications
with a higher level of experience, i would still recommend the stock frame with modifications
to allow your daughter to drive it before she's married with children

many aftermarket choices for lowered suspension and disc brakes on a stock frame
however if you choose the mid 80s c10 frame your on your own other than this forum

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:52 PM   #4
Vals59

Thanks for the replies guys. I have been leaning towards a stock frame with lowering springs etc anyways. I have enough to do with the cab to keep me busy whilr I hunt down parts. Thanks Again
Vals59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:35 AM   #5
OrrieG

20 some years ago my daughter and I restored a 67 Mustang for her second car (I made her drive a Mercury wagon for a year to get experience, good choice). She liked the Mustang, we found a nice 200 six with floor three speed trans. Engine and drive train was good but we went thru brakes, electrical, put in a new clutch, door guts and detailed the heck out of it. She is a really good mechanic, over the years it has paid off for her. She sold it after her first kid was born, and regretted it for 15 years. Last year we found a great 65 coupe with no rust, A code 289 4 barrel, deluxe leather interior with factory air and are now going thru it. If it takes with your daughter, great, at the minimum she will learn enough to question counter guys and mechanics who may try to rip her off along the way. If you want to get my kid going, just watch a counter guy ask her what her husband sent her down to get! These trucks are great first experiences, relatively easy to work on. I agree with Ogre, keep it simple, she can always upgrade later down the line or get another.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:18 AM   #6
Kim57

Welcome.
We do need to see pics of your project.
Kim