The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-24-2002, 07:51 PM   #1
XXL
Seņor Member

Question Ignition switch conundrum

OK, as you may have noticed by my current line of questions in other posts, I'm fishing here...

As I understand it, the ignition switch in 67-72 trucks is the same one used way up into the 80's or so. Is this correct? And so the 73+ column-mounted ignition switch works the same way? That is, the switch makes contact on the starter wire and the truck fires up??? And so if I could figure out a way to meld a later-model steering column outer sleeve (the part behind the wheel that has the ignition switch in it) to a 67-72 column, then I'd have a workable setup???

What I'm trying to do is find a home for the ignition switch now that my dash is completely smooth. I am thinking about mounting it in a custom dash bezel but as ProSt68Trk and others have pointed out, having all this activity going on in the instrument bezel kind of defeats the purpose of smoothing the dash. I'm thinking that I could graft the protrusion from a 73+ column onto my existing culumn (it's pot metal... TIG weld it maybe? Heck, JB Weld it???) and snake the wires down through the center and tie them into the existing circuit. Then I get in and turn the column mount key and I'm off.

Anyone got any input on this? Ideas? I'm nuts?

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 08:26 PM   #2
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

Won't the whole sleeve from a 73+ column work also instead of grafting in the protusion itself? Could save you some time. You could always make it a push button start with a toggle with a cool red flip up protector to turn the power on and then push a chrome button switch on the bezel to turn the starter. The power toggle could even be a two postion switch to accomodate for the ACC position. Add an alarm with an starter disable relay and it'll be just as safe as a keyed ignition switch. He!! if you have an aftermarket steering wheel you can buy the wireless center piece to control the starter. Take it off and inside with you at night and it won't ever start unless you press the button. I think I may be getting a little ahead of you though. Hope I gave ypu an idea though. Either way would be really cool.
Old 09-24-2002, 08:54 PM   #3
jay-dawg
chevelito

my truck originally came as a push button start. All my dad had to do was turn the key and push the button. the key always kept falling out. That push button is gone now is replaced by a flip switch to run the reverse lights.

my new....those are some great ideas.

jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
jay-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 09:24 PM   #4
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

I've got a whole column from a 73 ish truck. It's a 4 spd type, so I hope you have a stick. But I would be willing to get rid of it cheap. I bought it off ebay cuz it came with a bellhousing I wanted. You could then just do the whole column at once.

Just an idea.

good luck and take pics of whatever you decide.
jmanz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 09:51 PM   #5
oldcarbuff

Perhaps you could put the ignition switch in the floor or a console (if you have buckets) like they do in SAABs. That would be a lot easier. Or, maybe you could have a small panel that could flip down from the bottom of the dash (although with the nest of wires that go on an ignition I don't know how well that would work).

OCB
oldcarbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 10:19 PM   #6
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oldcarbuff
Perhaps you could put the ignition switch in the floor or a console (if you have buckets) like they do in SAABs. That would be a lot easier. Or, maybe you could have a small panel that could flip down from the bottom of the dash (although with the nest of wires that go on an ignition I don't know how well that would work).
No buckets at this time (though I haven't ruled that out). And I have thought of simply hiding it somewhere. I've got a few other things to hide as well... light switch, wiper switch, 2 gauges, and 6 switches for the air suspension. Man... I've got a lot of stuff to hide . Thanks for the ideas. I'm pondering them!

Quote:
Originally posted by jmanz69
I've got a whole column from a 73 ish truck. It's a 4 spd type, so I hope you have a stick. But I would be willing to get rid of it cheap.
Thanks but I don't think that's how I want to go. I had originally planned on doing a column swap but I wanted to consolidate my lights and wipers onto the column as well (and I do have an auto on the column) but 1) I couldn't find a donor vehicle that met all those requirements, and 2) the stock column I have works fine so it seemed like a lot I should utilize what I have. Thanks for the offer though.

Kenneth
Old 09-24-2002, 10:22 PM   #7
Smooth68

Kenneth, I'm in the same boat as you with the ignition switch. What about having some secret security setup (ex. reed sw & magnet or the like...) that would draw up a relay then a small hidden switch under the dash could then be pressed to start. I mean who said that the ignition switch has to be a round piece of metal with a key? Heck, it could be anything. Possibly even relay operated via remote keyless entry on an aux channel. Your an old stereo/alarm guy...

WTB 64-66 project or frame/cab, SWB or LWB...I have the fever! Whatcha got??

'68 Short Step - Shaved Body, Soon Bagged - SOLD

Driver-2004 GMC Z-71 Ext-cab
Smooth68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 10:44 PM   #8
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ProSt68Trk
Your an old stereo/alarm guy...
Who said I was old! Oh... me.

Yeah, I'm starting to think about that solution a little harder. Something in me doesn't want to let go of the key concept (even though you can probably turn my ignition with a screwdriver... years ago I had a '68 C-10 that didn't have a key. I just made a duplicate of a buddy's '69 Dodge Charger key that started mine with no problem!). I don't think I'd want to go with a reed switch as they're too flaky. And I don't want to rely on RF in case the remote battery dies. But I could probably put together a "combination" lock of some sort-- either something simple like 'press A then B' switches or even a small button pad that required a key code (like Ford doors). Hmmm... keep the ideas coming. We're bound to come up with a good solution eventually!

Kenneth
Old 09-24-2002, 10:50 PM   #9
Smooth68

yep...I didn't want to bring it up earlier, but remember the car in Magnum PI - It had a cool credit card slot and small key pad. Hmmm....starting the 68 with a credit card....interesting

WTB 64-66 project or frame/cab, SWB or LWB...I have the fever! Whatcha got??

'68 Short Step - Shaved Body, Soon Bagged - SOLD

Driver-2004 GMC Z-71 Ext-cab
Smooth68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 03:18 AM   #10
jay-dawg
chevelito

yeah....you can use the credit card like a screw driver and turn a screw to turn on the truck.

What about a push down button on the floor somewhere. (Well, a place that wouldnt get pressed while you were driving.)
jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
Old 09-25-2002, 06:07 AM   #11
TERRYP
GYRO GEARLOOSE

I use a standard column mounted switch that is operated by a 'T' handly in place of the manual throttle knob. works cleanly.
66 C-10 Panel, SWB. 350 from '68, 200R4 tranny, 3.07 rear ratio, restoring
68 C10 LWB 350 4spd, 4.56 rear dump runner
82 Camaro, 305, THM-200-R4
84 Monte Carlo 305 TH350, land tuna
85 Tercel SW, snow runner

DISGRACED OUTLAW MEMBER OF THE DRUM BRAKE CLUB
TERRYP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 03:31 PM   #12
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TERRYP
I use a standard column mounted switch that is operated by a 'T' handly in place of the manual throttle knob. works cleanly.
I'm not sure I understand what you're describing. Have you got any pictures of the setup?

Thanks,

Kenneth
Old 09-25-2002, 08:15 PM   #13
XXL
Seņor Member

How about something like this?

It's programmable and ready to install. No engineering work required on my part .

I still have mounting location issues, but... maybe I could mount it in some kind of overhead console? OR???

Kenneth
Old 09-25-2002, 08:23 PM   #14
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

Not compact enough for me. Where would you put that thing anyway? A push button and a toggle. Since you got bags mount it on the plate for the bag toggles, and the button on the bottom right corner of the bezel. Nothing cooler than a well done push button start. But that is just my opinion.
Old 09-25-2002, 08:28 PM   #15
jay-dawg
chevelito

if you are going that big, you might as well go for a retinal scanner also.

I still like that idea of a toggle switch and a push button. Would anything happen if you left the toggle switch on? Probably not because the circuit does not close until the button is pressed.

jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
Old 09-25-2002, 11:08 PM   #16
my new 72
faster, faster, faster

Leaving the toggle on would never be an issue since tht would be like leaving the key in the on psoition. You have to turn the toggle off to turn the engine off, and all the other electronics. The push button just engages the starter like the Start position on the stock ignition switch. The push button wouldn't be a on off button but a spring type momentary connection.
Old 09-25-2002, 11:41 PM   #17
XXL
Seņor Member

I may be making this unnecessarily difficult. What I need to do is come up with a solution using the existing lock cylinder. 1) I already have it, 2) it retains some small level of security, and 3) it is a "classic" component that can keep some original 'charm' of the truck (like the fact that I'm NOT doing power windows).

So... now, where to mount this thing???

Kenneth
Old 09-26-2002, 01:48 PM   #18
jay-dawg
chevelito

QUOTE]Originally posted by my new 72
Leaving the toggle on would never be an issue since tht would be like leaving the key in the on psoition. You have to turn the toggle off to turn the engine off, and all the other electronics. The push button just engages the starter like the Start position on the stock ignition switch. The push button wouldn't be a on off button but a spring type momentary connection. [/QUOTE]

I got it.... like those push buttons to check if a starter is working.

Next question is what turns off when you turn off/ toggle the switch to off?

jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI

Last edited by jay-dawg; 09-26-2002 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-26-2002, 02:10 PM   #19
Newby 69 GMC

Talking I have one!!!

Hey, I have a column installed in my truck that has a spot for a key switch. It has an Oldsmobile wheel on it but who knows if that is right. The column it self looks very close to the truck column, it is tilt and Auto. The column is actually blue in colour.

My wife's grandfather owned this truck prior to me and he was amazing at fixing things so who knows what it is out of. I can send you pictures next week if you would like. Heck I would even swap it with you if you have a truck column with tilt.

let me know

Trevor

Also own

88 4X4 Toyota P/U
01 Toyota RAV 4
Newby 69 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 04:38 PM   #20
SCOTI

XXL, my vote is a later model column w/wiper switch (or cruise control switch) on the turn signal stalk. Seems like it would be easier to make the column that has what you need fit than re-design the one you've got. I'm facing the same dilemma since my dash has no ign. switch or a/c controls. I'm gonna mount both of these & my air-ride controls along w/a set of mechanical guages for temp/oil psi in the factory center console where it's out of sight--but not reach.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 05:40 PM   #21
XXL
Seņor Member

Here's the concept behind the two switches...

The rocker, which is ON-OFF, simply enables the use of the pushbutton, which is (ON)-OFF.
Attached Images