The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #126
desertdogg

Re: Need advice: LS ENGINE SWAP

So just got off the phone with him the 08 engine and tranny fell through because they wanted an extra grand but he has an 07 Silverado comming in on Friday, this one he says is low mileage in the 50k range which should go to me so I'm keeping my fingers crossed
Old 03-26-2014, 11:21 PM   #127
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Flex fuel was an option afaik, at least with the GenIII it used a different fuel rail and had the sensor that recognized what fuel it was being fed to adjust the computer map.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:32 AM   #128
dman1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdogg View Post
So just got off the phone with him the 08 engine and tranny fell through because they wanted an extra grand but he has an 07 Silverado comming in on Friday, this one he says is low mileage in the 50k range which should go to me so I'm keeping my fingers crossed
Seems like a run around so far man...perhaps get some cash back and keep the motor you got?
2001-Present

84 K10
2000 trans am ws6
2011 nissan altima
2009 Troy Built with a 42 Inch Deck

My LS Swap http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6559371
dman1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:39 AM   #129
desertdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Flex fuel was an option afaik, at least with the GenIII it used a different fuel rail and had the sensor that recognized what fuel it was being fed to adjust the computer map.
I was wondering about that, I think its a regular gas but is gen IV different than gen III In regards to flex fuel ? I believe 2007 is considered gen IV ? anyways I should get some more info on it friday morning.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:14 AM   #130
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

There are both flex fuel and non flex fuel version of GenIV engines as well (can't comment on the differences in how it works, but both versions were available in 4.8-6.2l)

Old 03-27-2014, 03:37 AM   #131
ls1nova71

In 2007 they made both gen3 and gen4 engines The new body style trucks got the new engine but they also made the older style trucks and called them silverado classics.. Also, it doesn't really matter if its flex fuel or not, they'll both run on gas. Do know that with a gen4, speedometers are harder to hook up and you loose the ability to use some features like DBW cruise control.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:59 AM   #132
desertdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman1982 View Post
Seems like a run around so far man...perhaps get some cash back and keep the motor you got?
Dman your right it sure does, I sugested he give me 1500 back considering the mileage but he said he would rather trade me for a train with the originally quoted miles, or close to it. Im happy with it plus he says he already has the one he sent me sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
In 2007 they made both gen3 and gen4 engines The new body style trucks got the new engine but they also made the older style trucks and called them silverado classics.. Also, it doesn't really matter if its flex fuel or not, they'll both run on gas. Do know that with a gen4, speedometers are harder to hook up and you loose the ability to use some features like DBW cruise control.
Thanks Ls1, in that case I hope its a gen III...Ive read somewhere about losing the cruise control option but to be honest I probably wouldnt use it anyways I have CC on all my other cars and I rarely ever use it, but never heard about the speedometer deal curious as to why it would be different
Old 03-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #133
dman1982

Quote:
Dman your right it sure does, I sugested he give me 1500 back considering the mileage but he said he would rather trade me for a train with the originally quoted miles, or close to it. Im happy with it plus he says he already has the one he sent me sold.

Thanks Ls1, in that case I hope its a gen III...Ive read somewhere about losing the cruise control option but to be honest I probably wouldnt use it anyways I have CC on all my other cars and I rarely ever use it, but never heard about the speedometer deal curious as to why it would be different
Isn't the motor in your truck?...if so how's he going to sell something he don't have?...and who's going to buy the engine still in your truck when he don't even know what he sold you?....pull the pistons out of it and give it back to him for the troubles...haha
2001-Present

84 K10
2000 trans am ws6
2011 nissan altima

Old 03-27-2014, 10:12 AM   #134
desertdogg

Quote:
Isn't the motor in your truck?...if so how's he going to sell something he don't have?...and who's going to buy the engine still in your truck when he don't even know what he sold you?....pull the pistons out of it and give it back to him for the troubles...haha
No, haha thank god its not in my truck yet, its been sitting in my garage since it was delivered...this all happened about a week after delivery just before getting ready to install it I ran a VIN search on it and it showed the off mileage he still swears the engine has 57k on it but I cant get proof so I dont want it. If that Engine had been installed I would have been really pissed off lol
Old 03-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #135
dman1982

Quote:
No, haha thank god its not in my truck yet, its been sitting in my garage since it was delivered...this all happened about a week after delivery just before getting ready to install it I ran a VIN search on it and it showed the off mileage he still swears the engine has 57k on it but I cant get proof so I dont want it. If that Engine had been installed I would have been really pissed off lol
Oh I would too man...the engine did look pretty clean tho...sucks he would just give you cash back
2001-Present

84 K10
2000 trans am ws6
2011 nissan altima

Old 03-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #136
desertdogg

Quote:
Oh I would too man...the engine did look pretty clean tho...sucks he would just give you cash back
Im really hoping it all works out if I can get proof on everything off that silverado comming in and everything is kosher then I will be happy I want to drop it in once and not have to worry about it. Plus knowing the mileage is importartant to me so I can keep track and if I ever sell it then it would be worth that much more to the buyer. What really sucks Is Im going camping with the wife this weekend and cant get out of it so Im hoping he can deliver it and pick up the old one on a week day next week.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:29 AM   #137
dman1982

Quote:
Im really hoping it all works out if I can get proof on everything off that silverado comming in and everything is kosher then I will be happy I want to drop it in once and not have to worry about it. Plus knowing the mileage is importartant to me so I can keep track and if I ever sell it then it would be worth that much more to the buyer. What really sucks Is Im going camping with the wife this weekend and cant get out of it so Im hoping he can deliver it and pick up the old one on a week day next week.
Ouch...campings cool tho haha
2001-Present

84 K10
2000 trans am ws6
2011 nissan altima

Old 03-27-2014, 06:21 PM   #138
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Take her to the garage and tell her you can't go...cuz the engine fell out of the truck?

Old 03-27-2014, 08:02 PM   #139
desertdogg

Quote:
Ouch...campings cool tho haha
Yeah Im not too disapointed lol just fell on the wrong weekend... oh well I need to get out of town anyways were headed out to the desert for some off roading, cant complain too much about that.

Quote:
Take her to the garage and tell her you can't go...cuz the engine fell out of the truck?
Haha yeah !, believe me she knows all about that engine sitting in the garage all too well.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:30 PM   #140
desertdogg

Back from our camping trip ! it was nice, now I can continue with business on the LS swap... guy says he is going to send me pics this week and as soon as does I will post up. I told him I need a pic of the cluster and of the stamp on the block that gives the date so I just hope its all legit and no bumps on the road.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:34 AM   #141
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

IF you can, I would want to watch them remove the motor from the vehicle. He has already demonstrated that his business isnt 100% trustworthy.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:39 AM   #142
desertdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
IF you can, I would want to watch them remove the motor from the vehicle. He has already demonstrated that his business isnt 100% trustworthy.
I agree...the only way I can do that is if I drive about 2.5 hours up to Long Beach and have to take a day off of work. he says he already has my engine sitting in the garage sold and he is anxious to get it so Im not sure what to do except by photos and vin number and of course the engine stamp on the block. Im tempted to take a day off of work but not sure if that is possible. Im going to see if he can send me a video as well.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:45 AM   #143
desertdogg

Quote:
In 2007 they made both gen3 and gen4 engines The new body style trucks got the new engine but they also made the older style trucks and called them silverado classics.
Ok.. your on target. He did say it was a silverado classic so this is making sense.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:34 AM   #144
desertdogg

Time for an update..I got tired of waiting for my engine to be delivered, so I decided to drive up to long beach and just go get my engine...to give him credit he tried hard to get someone down here but his boss didnt want to deliver it if there were no other deliveries...long story short its now in my garage and Im getting it to a friends shop where my suspension and drive train will be installed. Going to try to get it there tomorrow and hopefully in the next couple of weeks it will be done, well... almost done. Here are a few pics of my new engine. the date stamp code is saying it was made in 06 which I guess falls in line of being installed in an 07 Silverado. It looks a bit different and In my opinion looks to be newer than the last one so Im happy I ran a Car Fax on the Vin and last recorded mileage was 69K and some change the cluster odometer showed 72k... here are some pics Im hoping someone can tell me anything that jumps out at them.
Name:  securedownload.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  30.1 KB
fuel rails look a bit different...good bad ?
Name:  20140405_183050.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  75.8 KB
this is different looks like a heatsink of some kind ? anyone ?
Name:  20140405_184549.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  68.3 KB
Name:  20140405_183013.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  82.9 KB
one of what my truck looks like at the moment
Name:  20140405_175228.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  67.4 KB
Old 04-06-2014, 02:53 AM   #145
desertdogg

Couple of more
Name:  20140405_183007.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  78.0 KB
Name:  20140405_183050.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  75.8 KB
Old 04-06-2014, 03:16 AM   #146
47 Fasttoys

I think the heat sink thing would be a power steering fluid cooler, it's hard to tell from the pictures but it does connect to the PS pump correct? If not, and it connects to the drivers side of the oil pan then it would be an oil cooler. Does your PS pump have an extra line coming out of it? If so, the donor had hydro assist power brakes. As far as the later style fuel rail I'm not that savvy on which year they switched but it does mean you will need the external pressure regulator style system. The early years had a regulator on the fuel rail. If you do a search on fuel systems there is a lot of information on the subject.
Rob
Old 04-06-2014, 04:01 AM   #147
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I think thats the metal flex-fuel rail, and a hydro-boost equipped power steering cooler (though I think some hd trucks may have had a power steering cooler option without being hydroboost equipped)

Old 04-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #148
desertdogg

Quote:
I think thats the metal flex-fuel rail, and a hydro-boost equipped power steering cooler (though I think some hd trucks may have had a power steering cooler option without being hydroboost equipped)
FLex fuel ?....how can you tell if this is a flex fuel...I noticed the power steering pump has a metal fluid tank instead of the plastic one
Old 04-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #149
ls1nova71

That looks exactly like my 07 silverado classic 5.3. The fuel rail is a flex fuel and the cooler is a power steering cooler, but you already know that since it already been answered twice.
Did you get the TAC and pedal? It would have the plastic pedal.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #150
desertdogg

Quote:
That looks exactly like my 07 silverado classic 5.3. The fuel rail is a flex fuel and the cooler is a power steering cooler, but you already know that since it already been answered twice.
Did you get the TAC and pedal? It would have the plastic pedal.
Thanks LS1, yes its plastic. So what kind of challenges does flex fuel bring bring to the table ? I know it can be used but are they harder to install ?