The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2004, 03:01 PM   #1
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

WTT my old car for a suburban

Looks like this is going to be the year I go to Bonneville and a few other road trips. Problem is, I have a 1 year old daughter now who needs to go with us, of course.

My wife and I have made hundreds of car shows in the last 5 years or so in my 54 Chevy (see avatar). Problem is, the Chevy is a business coupe. That means it never had a back seat from the factory (also means it's the rarest 54 Chevy of all time too). The rub is, no back seat, and my little girl don't coincide.

I need more seats for my little critter to motor around with us in.

I want to trade my car for a 67-72 Suburban.

A little about the car:
This car was bought brand new about 6 miles from where I'm sitting right now. It's a local car in my 19k population town. I have all of the paperwork from when it was bought new, everything. It's a 2 door business coupe. Like I said above, it is actually the rarest 54 Chevy car ever made. Came factory will a shelf on the rear floor board instead of a seat. It's all still there, and I'm not going to cut this car up to put a seat in it.

I put in a Fatmans Mustang II suspension with the big brakes and big dual master cylinder. It has a Goodwrench crate engine in it with an auto transmission. Rear end is a 10 bolt out of a Nova on Posie's Superslide lowered leaf springs. Car has been converted to 12 volt. Has 600 dollars worth of guages in a custom billet dash insert. Lokar floor shifter. Stock steering wheel and column were modified to interface with the new rack and pinion steering. Dash and steering column were repainted and pin striped by the legend, Frank Palmer. He even signed the dash underneath his work.

Car has some mild custom body modifications like nosing and decking, bull nosed hood, etc. Paint is PPG base coat clear coat with flattener agent in it. Paint is 5 years old and still looks great.

Has radial whitewall all around with smooth caps.

Dual exhaust with Smithy mufflers.

I put new floor pan in it about 5 years ago. Car is very solid and sound. Does not need rust repair or any of that other crap.

Very nice two tone tuck and roll upholstery. My wife does upholstery, so guess who stitched the interior on this car?

All the stuff that makes a car reliable is new. Water pump, fuel pump, radiator, distributor, engine, trans, all brakes, all suspension, belts, hoses, heater core, starter, alternator.

Now, seriously, this car gets 18 miles per gallon on the highway. I personally guarnatee it. I have put 19 thousand miles on this car in the last three years with zero problems. My wife and I have traveled all over the country in this car. Lots of out of state trips. This car has been all over the midwest. I built this thing to drive and be dead nuts reliable. Every single part on this car could be bought in the local parts store. I used things like common master cylinders and HEI distributor, mechanical fuel pump, on and on.

Rod and Custom magazine had a deal on it back in 1991.

I can supply proof of over 7k dollars invested in this car not counting the car itself. Things like brand new crate engine and stuff isn't cheap. I did every single bit of the work personally, but the interior (my wife) and painting the dash (Frank Palmer). I know this car up and down every inch of it.

I want a decent Suburban trade for it. Let me know what you have. If the deal is proper, I could drive this car anywhere within about 10 hours of North Texas to swap. I have that much confidence in this car. Absolutely no rusty Suburbans even considered. I hate rust, that's why I live in Texas. To me, life is too short to fix up rusty projects.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 01-20-2004 at 03:18 PM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 03:03 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter

Grille has extra teeth made from an extra grille
Old 01-20-2004, 03:05 PM   #3
Tx Firefighter

inside
Old 01-20-2004, 03:06 PM   #4
Tx Firefighter

Last one
Old 01-20-2004, 03:10 PM   #5
bigblock73
yeller

wOw, that is a nice car...I have been wanting one for a while.

How much are you asking by the way (If you can't get a 'burb)? I am pretty sure you are asking more than I can afford (story of my life), but you never know.

Also, would you happen to have a shot of the rear shelf?
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 06:00 PM   #6
Bamm
Cowboy Fan for Life!!!!!!

Tx- That is a very, very nice car. Looks like a lot of blood, sweat & tears went into it. I hope you find the suburban you're looking for.........Jerry
18 x 8 Torque Thrust II's
Future mods: All new gauges & wood bed
My Zip is 23002
I ship UPS, USPS
Bamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:46 PM   #7
special70gmc

i seem to remember you saying ''it will be for sale the day i die'' i hope you didnt die today? -kyle
Old 01-21-2004, 01:37 AM   #8
Tx Firefighter

Nah man, I figured out that I don't get to go anywhere without getting a bigger car for the baby and wife both to go along. I'm having withdrawals staying at home last year.

I'm planning a two week long trip to Bonneville this August and I want to go ahead and get something and get it cleaned up for the trip out there.

Plus, I realized I haven't even driven it in three months. I don't want to be a hypocrite and let the thing sit there and die of neglect. It deserves to be driven.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:21 AM   #9
classicchev

Big block73, you should buy Lazyguards Burb for 7200 or maybe even lower by now, and trade it for the 54. The sub is a very nice original. Just my thought, good luck on the sale, Darren
classicchev is offline   Reply With Quote