The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2013, 08:55 PM   #51
77ChevySharkBite

Re: Project Snowball- Slow build

Yeah I hear ya there man sometimes were foolish but we learn from our mistakes, my truck I'm building I'm really going to try to keep it in the family and let it live on! Good thing about it, is at least we get to keep our trucks for years and get to enjoy them and always have a reminder hard work pays off!
Posted via Mobile Device

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #52
rs74

Got the cab off today. Getting closer to painting the frame. I have a handful of small things to do Monday to get it finished up. The biggest thing may be with my suspension parts that I already put on. I ordered Moog everything and got two different upper ball joints. Well read it here. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=570381 So that might slow me down. Not real happy about the situation right now.

Anyways the guy who is blasting can't get to it until possibly next weekend. I think I am going to cave in and have the guy who has the $750 custom deluxe cab lift it up so I can see underneath it. Right now I don't have alot of choices. After the frame is done and I put all the lines and tanks back on then I will be ready for the body. Things will probably move a little slow for a while. In the meantime I have drug in the K10 to start on it and to give me something to do until I can do some more on the C10.

1987 R10 shortie
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #53
77ChevySharkBite

Nice man!!! Glad your getting a little bit done they all take time to get done. Sounds like a plan what you got going for the k10 until you can do more on the c10
Posted via Mobile Device

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 03-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #54
rs74

Picked up the cab and got some stuff delivered to the body shop. Frame is getting blasted sunday. Hopefull get it painted next week. The boxes have new GM fenders and doors in them. I am not sure if they made doors for manual window and ones for power windows. Until I take them out of the boxes it is making me wonder. I sure don't want to pull out manual window doors and need power ones. The cowl hood is there and also my roll pan. Not sure if the roll pan is going on or not. I seem to remember not liking the design of it. It has been about 10-12 years since I have had it out of the box.
Attached Images

1987 R10 shortie
Old 03-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #55
77ChevySharkBite

Looks good!! I like boxes it's always a plus! I like that cowl hood you have, can't forget take pictures when you open those boxes.

Glad to know your getting the frame done on Sunday when you going to get it back?
Posted via Mobile Device

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 03-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #56
rs74

Everything is at the body shop. The guy who is going to blast it is coming over sunday to do it. I have some work to do out of town at a factory so I probably won't see it until Monday. I need to start tearing the new cab apart to get it ready but I have a few jobs coming up this next week so I will just have to see how it goes.

I need to be ordering my fuel tanks, senders, inner fenders and the gas struts for the glass hood. I also need to buy new saddles for the tanks. I need to start looking around for those, not sure who sells them. I am going to try to get the parts ordered the first of the week. The only day I have open to do that is Tuesday and I am home with my two youngest daughters. If I have it all ready then maybe I can get it ordered.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 03-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #57
rs74

Got word that the frame is blasted. It got done a day early. I think I have the paint code for the interior. Once I see it on something and like it then I will check that off the list. Went to the junk yard today and spotted a truck with charcoal interior. Hopefull next week after this snow storm comes through I will be able to go gut the cab for all the trim, seat, door panels, and carpet. The doors are manual but I can still use some parts off of them. The seat will need to be recovered. The carpet will have to be power washed. $100 for everything and I take it out. I figure this is better than trying to match every single piece with aftermarket.

I will post pics the first of the week of the frame and when I get all the trim pieces. I seen alot of these ol trucks in the yard today. It is a shame to see them in their condition. A couple of them had some usable trim still. I seen one Big 10 truck. I looked for some buckets from a suburban but either the seats were already gone or they had stripped the seat brackets from them.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 03-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #58
77ChevySharkBite

Yeah it's sad to see some of the old trucks you see in a junkyard no doubt! Some are like diamonds and there's other that are just crap.

Glad to hear the news on the frame can't wait to see the pictures, hope your able to get everything you need done!
Posted via Mobile Device

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 03-29-2013, 11:29 PM   #59
rs74

Not been a whole lot going on lately. Business has picked up a little so I have been doing a few jobs here and there. I ordered a new outer rocker, front apron filler panel, both front inner fenders, and both fuel tanks. I am going to try and pick them up the first of the week.

I am starting to get a little frustrated with the painter this last week. He has been dragging his feet on other vehicles in the shop which puts mine that much farther back. He and a friend of his started putting his 40 ford pickup on an s10 chassis this week and neglecting everything else. I am going to say something to him this week about getting my frame and other items painted. At least if he can get that done then I can start putting stuff back on the frame and get the engine/tranny back in it as well.

I did get the cab stripped down yesterday. I have about another hour or so and it is ready for him to start sanding and putting the outer rocker on. After I get the cab ready then I am at a stand still until he gets something done. I am not liking this. Maybe things will be different next week. We will see or maybe I need to start thinking about getting my stuff out and looking for another body shop.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 03-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #60
rs74

I also need to get to the junk yard and get that truck stripped this week. I might get some extra cab trim pieces and bed corner trim pieces as well.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 04-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #61
rs74

Finished stripping the cab down today. I took the rear and front windows out. That was my first time doing that. The front windshield was pretty easy to take out. The rear slider was a little more difficult. I had to have the painter help me get it out.

I think from the way he talked that maybe tomorrow I might get the frame, core support, battery tray, gas tanks, and inner fenders painted. Hopefully that gets done while I am the junk yard stripping a cab of its interior. I don't have anything else to do until he gets that stuff painted. We will see.
Attached Images

1987 R10 shortie
Old 04-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #62
77ChevySharkBite

Nice bro!!!! It's coming together slowly but surely, looking forward to seeing more man!!
Posted via Mobile Device

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 04-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #63
77ChevySharkBite

So question since your frame was sand blasted and everything wouldn't you have to spray it down with water or something and let it dry before you paint it, I'm sure there'd have to be some dust or something on it huh from the sand blasting?

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 04-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #64
silvereagle07

You can power wash it. Brush it with some water based wax and grease remover and wash again. Then cover it with an epoxy primer then a sandable primer to cover it with. The wax and grease water base will float the residue off of the frame. If you use laquer thinner or a solvent based product it will dry fast and leave a residue.

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #65
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvereagle07 View Post
You can power wash it. Brush it with some water based wax and grease remover and wash again. Then cover it with etching primer then whatever coat you want to cover it with. The wax and grease water base will float the residue off of the frame. If you use laquer thinner or a solvent based product it will dry fast and leave a residue.

Ahh!! I was just trying to find out because I'll be looking to do my frame in the near future sometime and I wanted to make sure I was looking at it right. What if you wire wheel the frame? same process or is it any different?

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 04-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #66
rs74

I don't really know what the painter is going to do. There is alot of blasting media still on it. I don't know if he is just planning on blowing it off with air or what. I seen the media still on it but didn't think much of it. I don't know if it will flash rust putting water on it or not.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 04-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #67
77ChevySharkBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs74 View Post
I don't really know what the painter is going to do. There is alot of blasting media still on it. I don't know if he is just planning on blowing it off with air or what. I seen the media still on it but didn't think much of it. I don't know if it will flash rust putting water on it or not.

Yeah it's something I need to look into, because before I know it, I'll probably be trying to get my frame done myself.

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 04-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #68
naphtali5725

hey man, glad to see you got your frame blasted!

i decided not to get mine blasted, i want to spend the 100 bucks on Mcgaughy's drop spindles and brake kit.
i scraped all the crud off my control arms then pressure washed them, then i washed them in water and Tide with a red scuff pad, that gets every bit of grease/oil off... I dried them off and primed them with Kirker epoxy primer, that stuff is awesome.
i'm going to do my frame the same way... it should last 20 more years

good to see you making progress, keep it up

Disabled Veteran
82nd Airborne Division
Operations: Desert Shield, Desert Storm, and Uphold Democracy
naphtali5725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #69
rs74

Shoot, if I could get the painter in gear maybe I could get something done. He had said that he would get to it the middle of this past week. I am beginning to wonder if I shouldn't do like you are and just do it myself. I am glad to atleast see that someone is making progress. You may have your frame put back together before I get mine painted. I was hoping to have my truck pretty much done by our Sept. carshow but that thought is starting to fade. I will keep watching as you go. Looking forward to more pictures.

Sorry for the rant. Just aggrevating.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 04-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #70
naphtali5725

i know how it is. go buy some cheap spray guns like i did, and some good paint that won't break the bank, get some Kirker hot rod black, it is just as good as primer and do the frame painting yourself. if you have the money, get the epoxy primer and the hot rod black like i'm doing.
like i posted in my thread, all my materials etc. for the body prep work, sandpaper, respirator, primer, paint, spray guns etc. etc. etc. i got for less than 350.00. after i'm done i'll have 3 spray guns, and a lot of supplies left over, and a crap load of experience.
and i'll probably have enough primer left over to prime my other truck. i'd rather use the money that i would have had to pay a bodyman/painter, and buy more stuff for my truck

i say go for it man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs74 View Post
Shoot, if I could get the painter in gear maybe I could get something done. He had said that he would get to it the middle of this past week. I am beginning to wonder if I shouldn't do like you are and just do it myself. I am glad to atleast see that someone is making progress. You may have your frame put back together before I get mine painted. I was hoping to have my truck pretty much done by our Sept. carshow but that thought is starting to fade. I will keep watching as you go. Looking forward to more pictures.

Sorry for the rant. Just aggrevating.

Disabled Veteran
82nd Airborne Division
Old 04-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #71
77ChevySharkBite

Definitely!!!! I love getting experience, I'm considering doing the frame myself too!! Looking forward to some progress!!
Posted via Mobile Device

67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
Old 04-07-2013, 10:39 PM   #72
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by naphtali5725 View Post
i know how it is. go buy some cheap spray guns like i did, and some good paint that won't break the bank, get some Kirker hot rod black, it is just as good as primer and do the frame painting yourself. if you have the money, get the epoxy primer and the hot rod black like i'm doing.
like i posted in my thread, all my materials etc. for the body prep work, sandpaper, respirator, primer, paint, spray guns etc. etc. etc. i got for less than 350.00. after i'm done i'll have 3 spray guns, and a lot of supplies left over, and a crap load of experience.
and i'll probably have enough primer left over to prime my other truck. i'd rather use the money that i would have had to pay a bodyman/painter, and buy more stuff for my truck

i say go for it man!
I agree. If you can blow it apart and put it back together you can paint a frame. No better place to learn to use a spray gun, right?

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #73
naphtali5725

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
I agree. If you can blow it apart and put it back together you can paint a frame. No better place to learn to use a spray gun, right?
exactly ^

Disabled Veteran
82nd Airborne Division
Old 04-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #74
rs74

I showed up to the paint shop today to find a little progress. Core support. fuel tank saddles, misc. brackets and most of the frame painted. He still has to paint the underneath of the frame and also my fuel tanks. Why he didn't paint the underneath of the frame is beyond me. He just back the trailer into the paint booth and painted it on the trailer.

I did find out that there is a crack in the frame. I didn't even notice it. It is by the steering box but not where they all crack. Kind of a weird location. Once he gets the fuel tanks and bottom side of frame painted I can start putting some of it back together. I need to find some paint to freshen up some of my brake and fuel lines. Then I can get them bolted back in and put in the new brake lines that I got.
Attached Images

1987 R10 shortie
Old 04-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #75
naphtali5725

glad you have some progress... keep plugging along

Disabled Veteran
82nd Airborne Division