The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-17-2019, 09:48 AM   #51
FLYNAVY30

Re: Why aren't classic Suburbans "popular"??

For sure....I have easily twice in my '72 what I could get for it...and that's knowing I already have a local buyer. Same guy has been randomly stopping by my garage for years now asking if Im ready to sell. For me, it comes down to the fact that theres nothing I would rather have to replace it. Sure there's still things Id like to do to the truck, but even if someone offered a straight up trade for a Bronco or FJ40 in equal condition, I dont think I'd do it....I like the room that the Suburban affords with the same vintage style as the other makes and models.
FLYNAVY30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:47 PM   #52
71meangreenc10
Its a Truck Thing......

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokehouse View Post
well when you got kids and a big dog it makes more since to have a burb that's why i bought one. i really wanted a 3 door that someone didn't put modern seats in it or speaker holes in the doors and wasn't yellow but i couldn't find one so i had to settle for a 78 burb. i think they are catching on to because your whole family can ride together. It's hard to put a whole family in a 3 seater truck. when the magazines starts putting more burbs in them and more pics of really kool burbs online it will start to catch on that's what happened to the vw buses. you can't hardly touch one now. i think we are on the up swing to see the prices going up until then i'm going to enjoy driving my burb with my family.
My kids love riding in the 68. It is way more user friendly than the truck....

Smitty
72 Chevy Blazer 4X4, Sloppy Jo, Mountain Climber. Wife says no more trucks. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=707378
72 GMC 1 Ton Motor Home, wife said no more trucks until she saw this one. Gen 3 6.0/4L80E 4.10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=761110
68 GMC Suburban was 3/4 ton, now 1/2.Wife shook her head
71 C30 Wrecker
71 C20 Scott-Bilt As weird as it gets..BB Cheyenne AC Truck
68 GMC Long Stepside. They keep following me home
71 C20 Longhorn/Ole Yellor
69 C30 Former Motor Home, Flat Bed time
71meangreenc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 02:52 PM   #53
HO455
Post Whore

I wonder if some of the lack of appreciation comes from the lack of badging by GM. Twice this week I got the " That's cool! What is it?". Followed by " They made Suburbans back then?".
If you see something you like, but don't know what it is certainly it makes it harder to get one.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 03:03 PM   #54
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Because I cant seem to hang on to anything vehicle related years ago I let my 72 C10 Burb go, must seen something shinier (or rustier?) I needed more. A couple of weeks ago the fella that has it now decided to let it go, I was on it! But then he changed his mind lol ... gahhh!

I do have another 72 Burb K20 turned K10 project that I let go several months ago and it came back to me because I felt sorry for the way deals went down (long story). My plan was to just get rid of it. No drive train, no front clip, a couple of seats, kind of a nearly stripped shell. I don't think it even has a steering column. But after reading this post I might just hang on to it. Man Im weird haha!
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:58 PM   #55
smokehouse

What i have learned in vw. you can dump all the money you want but don't go to far from stock it appeals to more people. you can lower them or raise them. you can put different motors and trannies in them update the brakes change the wheels and tire combos. leave the stock seats in them and cover them in og patterns. you can paint the cars but keep it og colors don't paint them purple and pink and put scallops on them. Don't cut speakers in the doors or in the trunk. you can put all the og accessories you want on but must be og. this way if someone wants and og car or truck they can easily put it back to stock. that's how you get your money back out of them at least in the vw community. It use to be called the resto-custom look. If you paint it some funky color or do some crazy interior inside that only you like then you are going to have a hard time selling it. patina is best or og paint you can't hide bad bodywork that way. There's to many chicken wire and bondo guys out there.
smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:17 AM   #56
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

I lucked out and got a descent 1972 K5 CTS a few years ago. I drove it for a couple years before I started a frame off rest-mod with a modern drive train. I will probably have over $35k in the Blazer before I'm done...

I have started looking for a K20 Suburban. The 4x4s are harder to find than 2WD with the 3/4 ton K20 ever harder then K10. Most seem to be rusted or overpriced for the condition. I missed a couple opportunities because I didn't have cash available, mainly a fairly solid 71 K20 Suburban with a few nice options for $6k.
Attached Images

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:07 PM   #57
52napco

The vast majority of folks are clueless. I get someone daily asking how much i want for my
Bronco but i have turned down 40k
Attached Images

52napco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 02:27 PM   #58
HO455
Post Whore

It looks like the new Burban will have to get painted green to fit in.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 03:00 PM   #59
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
" They made Suburbans back then?".
That's funny.

K
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:48 PM   #60
Indychus

It's a matter of practicality for me. I love the way a burb looks, and the functionality can't be beat. I would love to have one. However, I can't afford $30k+ for a nice one and there's no way in hell I can get the body off of one in my 2 car garage to do a proper restoration. I've done more than a few trucks, and I can pull the cab and bed off by myself with an engine hoist. Even if I could figure out a way to get the body off of a burb, I couldn't roll it over to repair the bottom or store it easily while I did chassis work.

A lot of hot rodders and restorers migrated to trucks from muscle cars and rods because they were easier to work on because the cab and bed come off separately and are relatively light weight. I'd be willing to bet that there are plenty of guys like me who would kill to have a bad ass burb but are at a loss on how to manage building one.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:25 PM   #61
FLYNAVY30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indychus View Post
It's a matter of practicality for me. I love the way a burb looks, and the functionality can't be beat. I would love to have one. However, I can't afford $30k+ for a nice one and there's no way in hell I can get the body off of one in my 2 car garage to do a proper restoration. I've done more than a few trucks, and I can pull the cab and bed off by myself with an engine hoist. Even if I could figure out a way to get the body off of a burb, I couldn't roll it over to repair the bottom or store it easily while I did chassis work.

A lot of hot rodders and restorers migrated to trucks from muscle cars and rods because they were easier to work on because the cab and bed come off separately and are relatively light weight. I'd be willing to bet that there are plenty of guys like me who would kill to have a bad ass burb but are at a loss on how to manage building one.

I hear ya. When the time comes, my plan is to unbolt the body from the frame, and use my quick jack on each side to lift the body just high enough to roll the chasis out and roll a dolly back under it. Then Ill trailer the body to someone who knows what they're doing (Austin Speed Shop) for rust repair and paint while I blow the chasis apart and restore that. Then do the same thing in reverse for reassembly.
Old 09-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #62
fourspeedwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattTX View Post
It's like that with square bodies too. I know one custom shop that has gutted clean Suburbans to put thier parts on pickups that are in terrible condition. It's kind of sad, really. I love Suburbans, but most people in my area see an old burb as either a ghetto cruiser or a parts donor for a pickup. To most people, Suburbans just aren't "cool" and "iconic" like the pickups, and Blazers are. I myself would take nice 4x4 burb over a Blazer/Jimmy any day. However I also prefer lwb over swb on pickups, so my opinion definitely represents a minority.
Sounds like how station wagons were viewed when I was younger. “Good parts car for a 2 door hardtop version of the same model” Now station wagons are up in value compared to what they used to be. The old wagon price structure was either “how much does it weigh (scrap)” or “worth the price of the used parts”
“People are shocked when they find out I’m not a good electrician”
Dad told me “Son, never strike a man in anger- unless you’re certain you can get away with it”
fourspeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:19 PM   #63
Beach-Burban

Met some friends for coffee at our hometown beach early the other morning and had a flock of people asking questions...and one surfer girl who politely asked permission to take photos! I laughed and said, of course, then she whipped out this professional 35mm camera and spent the next 20 minutes taking shots at every angle possible!

Woody

Name:  IMG_1172.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  43.9 KB
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:22 PM   #64
FLYNAVY30

very cool!
Old 11-26-2019, 03:01 PM   #65
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach-Burban View Post
Met some friends for coffee at our hometown beach early the other morning and had a flock of people asking questions...and one surfer girl who politely asked permission to take photos! I laughed and said, of course, then she whipped out this professional 35mm camera and spent the next 20 minutes taking shots at every angle possible!

Woody

I can see why. It looks great on the beach. Why didn't you take a picture of her with the truck....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 04:57 PM   #66
Killer Bee

well I've been longhorny lately so the burbs are sitting quietly in the back waiting their turn..

when they were up front, I was getting offers and inquiries constantly, even in their old rusty glory..

so I would say still very popular, just not a huge number of them out there still running..

very popular with my kids

drove the k20 to work, someone left a note

Old 11-26-2019, 06:53 PM   #67
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
I can see why. It looks great on the beach. Why didn't you take a picture of her with the truck....

LockDoc
Well thank you, Leon...but us old guys have to be careful to NOT look too "interested" or else the girls stop talking to us!

Woody
Old 11-27-2019, 04:48 PM   #68
72c20customcamper

I get just as many compliments on my burban as I do my other vehicles. I do love it but storing it is another issue. Like that I can pack it up with everything I need for long weekend show and not worrying about it getting wet or stolen out of the bed. I know it square body but I'll post anyway. It's a shame that if this was a pickup it would be worth a lot more . Not that I'm thinking about selling it anyway.
Attached Images

1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 05:35 PM   #69
FLYNAVY30

I honestly think that Suburban prices (both 67-72 and square bodies) will pick up in the next 5 years or so. There are a couple big name builders with high end Suburbans in the works....namely Jonathan Ward at Icon. All it takes is a few big names to pay them attention and prices can jump drastically....especially with limited supply, and the rest of the vintage SUV market already hugely inflated.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:25 PM   #70
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Well thank you, Leon...but us old guys have to be careful to NOT look too "interested" or else the girls stop talking to us!

Woody

Well crap, I wondered why all the young chicks wandered off when I started telling them they looked REALLY good...... I thought I heard one of them mention something about a pervert but I figured I misunderstood with my bad hearing and all.

Anyways, to keep on topic I had a guy stop by and ask if my '69 Suburban was for sale not too long after I finished it and I said yep, bring cash, and he did....

LockDoc
Attached Images

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 11-27-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 11:21 PM   #71
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Well crap, I wondered why all the young chicks wandered off when I started telling them they looked REALLY good...... I thought I heard one of them mention something about a pervert but I figured I misunderstood with my bad hearing and all.

Anyways, to keep on topic I had a guy stop by and ask if my '69 Suburban was for sale not too long after I finished it and I said yep, bring cash, and he did....

LockDoc
Too funny, LockDoc...California girls are the worst when it comes to that attitude! Hard to think that you sold that beautiful Burb so soon after finishing it!!! '69 with '71/'72 front grille and bumper...did you do any other surprises?

Woody
Old 11-28-2019, 12:25 AM   #72
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Too funny, LockDoc...California girls are the worst when it comes to that attitude! Hard to think that you sold that beautiful Burb so soon after finishing it!!! '69 with '71/'72 front grille and bumper...did you do any other surprises?

Woody

Just a 350 crate engine and a 2004r overdrive auto transmission. It ran really good and I miss it....

LockDoc

-