The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2019, 05:06 PM   #1
Chief5940

1972 C10: One Piece at a Time - A True Friend

This will be a little bit of a long story, but it's one worth telling!

I've had a couple of C10s over the years, but nothing nice. I've been on the hunt for the last 2-3 years, chasing down every lead, and even going to a couple of Barrett-Jackson auctions, only to find out I have a wine-appetite on a beer budget. The biggest part of my problem is that I know exactly what I want!! A red and white, 1972 C10, with bucket seats, tilt-wheel, tach, A/C, disc brakes, headliner, rally wheels, cargo-light, etc! The next part is that I'm a little bit OCD! And lastly, I'm completely incapable of doing any of the work myself. Not that I wouldn't help, i just don't know how to weld, do body work, paint, build an engine...you know.... all the things you need to know to build a truck!

A couple of months ago, my buddy (Spoon3210) posted a picture of an incomplete C-10 short-bed. The frame, cab, wheels, and bed were there, but not much else (see attached). It looked like a great starting point. I hit him up and asked if he was going to build it? More specifically, would he build it for me?

He had already built one for himself a couple of years ago and it turned out fantastic! It was a blue and white, 1972 C-10 long-bed that he cut down to a short bed (see attached). When he bought the project, it came with a set of blue bucket seats. I begged him to let me get them reupholstered in red, because I'm not a fan of blue and I knew as soon as he was finished, he would want to sell the truck and move on to his next project. If I could just convince him to build it red and white, from the outset, I could buy it from him and we would both be happy.

Unfortunately, he had his heart set on blue and white and he actually kept the truck!

Fast-forward to the partial truck on the trailer.... it looked like an okay starting point, but we couldn't have been more wrong. Upon closer inspection we realized that the truck had some damage we weren't wiling to look past, given the end=product we had in mind. We ended up selling the truck to a guy just a few blocks away, but not before we stripped the wheels, which were exactly what I wanted to use on my truck.
Attached Images

Last edited by Chief5940; 11-17-2019 at 05:57 PM.
Chief5940 is offline   Reply With Quote