The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
RPBurris

Deal or dud?

So i put some money down on an 8' fleetside bed. It is in good shape, has no rust, floor is great, sides need a little work, and comes with a tailgate that is better than the 2 i currently have. it is hard to tell from my camera phone pics but is this a good start to a nice bed? I am not looking for a show quality bed but this certainly seems to be a good start. I will be getting rid of my bed in my avatar if i take it in a separate post.

If all i need are the sides is it easier to swap sides or just un bolt the whole bed? I would think the whole bed is easier?

Last edited by RPBurris; 01-21-2011 at 04:39 PM.
RPBurris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
292farmer

Re: Deal or dud?

id do whole bed, so while your at it u can clean the frame. just my thoughts
2005 chevy cobalt 2.2l
292farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
71swb4x4

Whole bed is easier. The sides do have welds on them, so it's not quite as easy as just unbolting a side and bolting it on the new bed.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

Does the floor just unbolt? Are the sides welded to the cross sills?

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

The rear posts are welded to the floor at the rear sill. Swapping beds is the easiest.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:05 PM   #6
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

as said above WAY EASIER to swap out beds, when you start unbolting bedsides alot of the bolts are rusted and don't come out very easy
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

easier to swap beds but if you have time/money id soda blast epoxy primer the floor/sides etc then put stainless bolts or something back in..

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:35 PM   #8
70cst

Ok now you have me wondering...how much $$$ can I ask. That is a nice looking bed and I agree with the others a replacement bed is the way to go. JMHO.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #9
GobbleStalker
GobbleStalker Calls

Okay I am getting ready to replace my bed sides where are the welds I need to look out for?

Thanks
Kev
09 GMC Sierra SLT All Terrain pkg.
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara unlimited. ( The wifes ride )
GobbleStalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:15 PM   #10
Livrat
Member #1049

I agree with everyone that swapping beds is easier.. I have dissasembled way too many.. (I do that to send them to the blaster/powdercoaters).

If you decided to swap sides.. there are usually 3 small welds per side.. all at the rear. one from the rear stake pocket to floor..( I use a sawzall there) and two down below that just inside the the taillight, (An angle die grinder works well here)
The trick I found is to turn the bed upside down and put it on saw horses so the bedsides are just off the ground. remove all the wiring..

There are 4 bolts per side that bolt the rear bedside/stake pocket to the rear bed cross sill, (two bolts and nuts and two bolts with welded nuts) those should come out fairly easy..

Then take an open end wrench and push it on each nut in several directions to clean off any crud/undercoating..
Then remove all the bolts on the fenderwell to bed sides (these should also come out fairly easy). Remove all the bolts in the front panel.. the top 4 may be phillip head screws.. DO not try to remove those with a big screw driver, get a proper size 1/4" drive phillips bit and a ratchet.. do not try to just loosen and remove.. tighten them up a bit first and work them back and forth, they should come out reluctantly ( It will save alot of cussing).

Now the fun part begins..

Grab a 1/2 breaker bar, a 4 inch extension And a 6 point 1/2" socket (a 6 point is important!!) .. go around and tighten up the nuts and snap off the carriage bolts. DO NOT TRY TO LOOSEN AND TAKE THE NUTS OFF.. I guarantee they will spin and you will just get pi$$ed off. Most will break.. BUT some WILL strip and spin.. (the last bed I dissasembled all but 5 broke off) those I usually just take a cutting torch and wash the heads off.. Or center punch the heads and use a sharp 3/8" drill and drill it off...

Be sure to keep all the thick flat washers as they are unique.. then head down to your local nut and bolt supplier and purchase approx 50 new 5/16" X 1" carriage bolts, nuts and lock washers.. It should take approx 3-4 hours depending on the bolt spin to break ratio..
Livrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:44 AM   #11
Average Joe

Great write up Livrat! This dserves a spot in the FAQ section.
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:18 AM   #12
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livrat View Post
I agree with everyone that swapping beds is easier.. I have dissasembled way too many.. (I do that to send them to the blaster/powdercoaters).

If you decided to swap sides.. there are usually 3 small welds per side.. all at the rear. one from the rear stake pocket to floor..( I use a sawzall there) and two down below that just inside the the taillight, (An angle die grinder works well here)
The trick I found is to turn the bed upside down and put it on saw horses so the bedsides are just off the ground. remove all the wiring..

There are 4 bolts per side that bolt the rear bedside/stake pocket to the rear bed cross sill, (two bolts and nuts and two bolts with welded nuts) those should come out fairly easy..

Then take an open end wrench and push it on each nut in several directions to clean off any crud/undercoating..
Then remove all the bolts on the fenderwell to bed sides (these should also come out fairly easy). Remove all the bolts in the front panel.. the top 4 may be phillip head screws.. DO not try to remove those with a big screw driver, get a proper size 1/4" drive phillips bit and a ratchet.. do not try to just loosen and remove.. tighten them up a bit first and work them back and forth, they should come out reluctantly ( It will save alot of cussing).

Now the fun part begins..

Grab a 1/2 breaker bar, a 4 inch extension And a 6 point 1/2" socket (a 6 point is important!!) .. go around and tighten up the nuts and snap off the carriage bolts. DO NOT TRY TO LOOSEN AND TAKE THE NUTS OFF.. I guarantee they will spin and you will just get pi$$ed off. Most will break.. BUT some WILL strip and spin.. (the last bed I dissasembled all but 5 broke off) those I usually just take a cutting torch and wash the heads off.. Or center punch the heads and use a sharp 3/8" drill and drill it off...

Be sure to keep all the thick flat washers as they are unique.. then head down to your local nut and bolt supplier and purchase approx 50 new 5/16" X 1" carriage bolts, nuts and lock washers.. It should take approx 3-4 hours depending on the bolt spin to break ratio..
Hey, thanks for taking the time to deliver that info....!

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #13
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livrat View Post
snip...
Liverat - THANK YOU!
I asked this question a month or two ago - what size and approximately how many carriage bolts do I need to re-assemble a bed I purchased already disassembled. I didn't get my answer and frankly some people were rude about it.

A bag of 50 5/16"x1" carriage bolts from the local hardware store is a heck of a lot cheaper than what the aftermarket guys want for a "bolt kit".

One follow-up question - I have a metal floor. Do the 5/16"x1" bolts work on both the metal and wood floors?
Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe
Great write up Livrat! This dserves a spot in the FAQ section.
I agree.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:11 AM   #14
Livrat
Member #1049

Guys.. you are welcome for the write up.. I dissasembled 3 beds last week so it was all fresh in my feeble brain..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein3 View Post
Liverat - THANK YOU!
I asked this question a month or two ago - what size and approximately how many carriage bolts do I need to re-assemble a bed I purchased already disassembled. I didn't get my answer and frankly some people were rude about it.

A bag of 50 5/16"x1" carriage bolts from the local hardware store is a heck of a lot cheaper than what the aftermarket guys want for a "bolt kit".

One follow-up question - I have a metal floor. Do the 5/16"x1" bolts work on both the metal and wood floors?
Thanks again.

I agree.
mrein3.. I totally forgot to include that this is for a metal floor. I am not sure the length of bolts for a wood floor.. (its been a few years since I have dissasembled a wood one)

Last edited by Livrat; 01-11-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #15
RPBurris

Well i am definitely going to swap the whole bed out.
Anyone have an opinion on the condition of the bed? From everything i have seen both on the boards, ebay, CL, and everywhere else i am getting a good deal on the bed. Plus it is relatively close to me. Like i said it has no rust and other than a few minor dents it is in great shape.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #16
id_unavailable

Livrat

I feel like an idiot after reading your post on the carriage bolts. I did a bed a while ago. A few of them snapped while loosening but the majority of them spun. BTW I was severely pi$$ed off after grinding the heads/nuts off Have you tried an impact wrench? I would think it would round out the hole but it may save some time.

Thanks for the tip
id_unavailable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:50 PM   #17
Livrat
Member #1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPBurris View Post
Well i am definitely going to swap the whole bed out.
Anyone have an opinion on the condition of the bed? From everything i have seen both on the boards, ebay, CL, and everywhere else i am getting a good deal on the bed. Plus it is relatively close to me. Like i said it has no rust and other than a few minor dents it is in great shape.

From the pictures it looks to be in decent shape and if its nicer than your current one.. by all means swap it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by id_unavailable View Post
Livrat

I feel like an idiot after reading your post on the carriage bolts. I did a bed a while ago. A few of them snapped while loosening but the majority of them spun. BTW I was severely pi$$ed off after grinding the heads/nuts off Have you tried an impact wrench? I would think it would round out the hole but it may save some time.

Thanks for the tip

I have tried an impact wrench.. I have found it spins the nuts too fast .. breaks a few and strips the rest.. So you still end up drilling or cutting them off.. I prefer to stay with a breaker bar..