The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2023, 12:05 AM   #1
CivilEGR

Need help with a wiring harness.

Last time I really ran my truck a good amount, I had smoke coming from my wiring harness. It's all original and cracking really badly. I'd like to replace it, but I haven't found anyone with a pre-made harness that matches the diagram I pulled up.

Has anyone made their own harness before? I assume the numbers are the wire gauges, and the letters are colors, but where is the color key chart so I know I'm getting the right one?

CivilEGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 12:26 AM   #2
Accelo

Re: Need help with a wiring harness.

https://www.classicindustries.com/pr...YpTwKt593ljrDM

6 cylinder harness.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 08:41 AM   #3
raidmagic

I use Rebel Wiring. I've put in 6 of their harnesses so far. Easy to use and easy to understand. If you are even mildly handy with wiring it's a piece of cake.
Old 08-07-2023, 10:34 AM   #4
SkinnyG

I did American Auto Wire, as it is theoretically the most thorough. Also pricey.

It came with ALL the connections for ALL your components, plus extras to fit your typical component options and aftermarket accessories. Came with new headlight and ignition switches, too.

It went really well, and the connectors even appear to look exactly factory, if you're into that sort of thing. There are extra fuses for accessories you may have or want to add.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 10:35 AM   #5
SkinnyG

Crazy double post?!

Last edited by SkinnyG; 08-08-2023 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-07-2023, 10:12 PM   #6
franken

wiringharness.com will have stock type harnesses--not cheap.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 09:52 AM   #7
MT65

Skinny is correct, AAW has your exact replacement harness….don’t focus totally on price, look at the quality of the components and the number of them. AAW uses the same quality as the manufacturer, TXL, GXL etc, not the cheap pvc stuff…
MT65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 10:00 AM   #8
MT65

Skinny is correct, AAW has your exact replacement harness….don’t focus totally on price, look at the quality of the components and the number of them. AAW uses the same quality as the manufacturer, TXL, GXL etc, not the cheap pvc stuff…
Old 08-08-2023, 05:01 PM   #9
ray_mcavoy

According to the diagram you posted, it looks like you're looking for an engine harness for a 6-cyl truck with factory gauges. That harness should be readily available from the sources already mentioned.

And yes, the numbers on the wiring diagram indicate the wire gauge and the letters indicate the insulation color. I don't think I've ever seen a color key chart, but most of these were pretty straight forward ... B=black, V=violet, DG=dark green, etc. The only one that isn't quite so obvious is the W/OR/V which indicates white/orange/violet and is a special resistance wire with a multi-colored cloth type insulation.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 07:31 PM   #10
Pick121

Wiring Diagram Color Key (from 1964)

For those inquiring minds that want to know…
Edit, looks like they changed V (Violet) to PPL (Purple) in 1964
Attached Images

Last edited by Pick121; 08-15-2023 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Info left out
Pick121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 10:08 PM   #11
64shortbox

Or you could try something like this universal 21 circuit wiring harness with a spade fuse box. You would still need to get a bunch of Packard 56 male & female connectors so you can use ALL your factory connectors. That's what I did on my 64 but I also added Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Tilt, A/C, Electric Cooling Fan etc. It took me several days to get it all done but it's ALL New wiring and My truck isn't even close to being original so I was more than happy to modernize the electrical.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27599051447...Bk9SR9TDhsG_Yg

Last edited by 64shortbox; 08-15-2023 at 10:10 PM. Reason: forgot to post the link
64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2023, 10:27 PM   #12
CivilEGR

I went with the American Autowire and it was a simple plug and play process. When I took the old harness off, I found more exposed wire where the insulation rotted off, and one of the connectors broke off where it rusted through. This has me considering redoing the entire truck's worth of wires now.
CivilEGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 09:25 AM   #13
MT65

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64shortbox View Post
Or you could try something like this universal 21 circuit wiring harness with a spade fuse box. You would still need to get a bunch of Packard 56 male & female connectors so you can use ALL your factory connectors. That's what I did on my 64 but I also added Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Tilt, A/C, Electric Cooling Fan etc. It took me several days to get it all done but it's ALL New wiring and My truck isn't even close to being original so I was more than happy to modernize the electrical.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27599051447...Bk9SR9TDhsG_Yg
Old car builder saying..Goods not cheap and cheaps not good….that would scare me to death…when you buy quality, your gonna pay for it….
Old 08-17-2023, 01:33 AM   #14
mr48chev

Classic parts shows oem style harnesses for certain years in the 60/66 trucks and for six or 8 within that. https://www.classicparts.com/Wiring-.../products/205/

These might be a bit more spendy than the "universal" kits but you don't have to to constantly think out of the box and decode the instructions either. The color code is right, the wire length is right and the wire ends are right unless someone changed something and what they put in doesn't use the same connector. Temp sender connectors are in that list.

The more universal a complete wiring kit is the more confusing the instructions can be beause there are sections for several different vehicles and then things like several different alternators. It tests your reading and comprehension level.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 10:37 AM   #15
SkinnyG

That harness from Classic Parts is totally the American Auto Wire kit. I recognize all the parts, having just put one in. It's a good kit.
Old 08-20-2023, 01:58 PM   #16
karlbenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64shortbox View Post
I did the same. I also added everything you did but power doorlocks. There isn't a whole lot factory anymore anyway
karlbenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 08:38 PM   #17
64shortbox

karlbenz,
Yes, I bought mine several years ago, can't remember who I bought it from though it did come from eBay. The only thing I didn't care for on my setup was that the power windows were hot all the time, I added a relay so the windows would only have power with the ignition switch in the On or ACC position.
64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 09:01 PM   #18
Arne

I did American Auto Wire on my '64 as well. Mostly stock, but the 2 engine harnesses were configured for right-side alternator and HEI distributor. Nice parts.

————————————
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote