The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading > 4x4 Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2019, 05:50 PM   #326
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: My K5 Blazer Story.

However, before I knew I wouldn't be able go on the desert trip we had to take a validation run to prove out our buddy Ian's CUCV Blazer was ready for the big trip. He's running an 8.1/nv4500 combo with one tons like Larry's K10. So we took off for a day run to our normal spot for snow wheeling. Keep in mind these pics were taken in May and we ran into a LOT of moisture at the lower elevations and some killer deep snow at the higher spots. I don't think I've ever wheeled in the snow that late before.

I'm still finding mud on the truck months later.

I made it probably another 1/2 mile breaking trail for the group when I hit a wall. It was up to the hubs and it was solid as block of ice. Stuffed it in good too. Could not back out of it either. Took the Jeep and the Taco tied together to rescue me with a winch.

We got it pulled out and proceeded to make our way back home.

My dog storm had a good time. We found a couple of weak links on Ian's ride for him to fix before the trip too. No major breakage either.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 06:22 PM   #327
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Missing the desert trip was a bummer, so other plans got made. My Jeep friends were heading up to a spot we like to go to outside of Westcliffe. I had to work that day so the doggo and I went up after I closed the shop and met them up there.

I had made some improvements inside based on the previous year's trips. One major thing was the addition of an ARB refridgerator I bought off of one of the other Desert Rats we go with. I also had a better side bench built by a co-worker much more adept at carpentry than I am. This version is a fully enclosed box with a hinged lid that has a secondary flap that folds out to extend the sleeping area as the old one was too narrow.

The tan Pelican case is the entire cook box. All the cooking gear is in there. It's the first thing out of the back when setting up camp. It's weatherproof so I can leave it out even if the weather turns.

Not many pics going up since I was solo.

Nearing camp.

Setup in camp. With the new setup and better organization I went from parked to camp set up in about 5 minutes flat now. Once set up I rewarded myself with a frosty one from the fridge.

The lake down from the campsite.

So when you wheel with Jeeps in a full size, you end up being able to carry the stuff they don't have room for, like a camp stove and food to cook on it!

While everybody was sleeping in tents me and the doggo had it comfy inside the camper.

Coming back down.

Summer was crazy with work and not a lot of time for off road fun. The plan was to attend Blazer Bash at the end of the summer in Moab.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:08 PM   #328
Zoomad75
K5Camper

That brings us up to Blazer Bash which I already have a full write up on in the 4x4 section I'll link to here.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=793485

I did get one more run in before the snow started flying around here. Bill and John and I did a quick run over Medano Pass and a side trip up a good chunk of the Blanca Peak trail.

Medano is a very basic trail most stock pickups can handle. But when the leaves are changing color it's very pretty to see. Here is where we stopped on the west side of the pass where we stopped to eat lunch.

The Trail leads into the Great Sand Dunes National Park. It was loaded with people.

It was at this point we decided to escape the crowds and go somewhere to escape them. Bill brought up Blanca Peak nearby. Blanca is arguably one of the toughest in the state, known for fatalities and many rollovers. And we plan on taking a basically stock Taco and my overgrown K5 on it. John's TJ was really the most capable to be on that trail with Long arm suspension and air lockers. So we figured make the Taco go first like a bird in a mineshaft, as in if he couldn't make it further we'd stop and come back down.

After driving up over a mile of loose rock on the initial climb, the trail gets steep and starts going up a series of tight switchbacks.

Certain parts of the climb let us see the view back down into the wide and flat San Luids valley.

It's a steep trail at every turn. Plus the further we go the more narrow it's becoming.

We make it further up the trail near the first major section known as Jaws 1 to find this hammered Cherokee that's obviously been rolled a couple of times. This can't be good for us.

This is getting ugly fast. However the sheer drop downhill on the left side of the rock is the dangerous part. The climb over the rock tilts the truck to the downhill side. We wisely decide it's not worth it to proceed and elect to climb down in search of a good campsite.

After coming down for a while I found a spot tucked away in the Juniper trees that looked promising.

I cooked up a mess of Cheesesteak sandwiches for the group and hung out until it was fully dark. My nephew and I turned into the camper with the furnace keeping the camper nice and toasty inside.

The following morning I cooked a big breakfast of bacon and eggs for everybody. We broke camp after breakfast and came home via a new route avoiding La Veta Pass.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:39 PM   #329
70inbville

is that area around horseshoe lake? I grew up I Pueblo and spent tons of weekends around that area. beautiful waterfall dropping out of horseshoe into tons of beaver ponds down below. ahh memories!
70inbville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:13 PM   #330
MTCK

Great write ups, Rob. Sorry to see you missed DT19 but looks like the blazer is still getting lots of use!

1991 V3500 L29 454 4L80E NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's
1984 K30 292 TH400 NP205 D60/14 Bolt 4.56's flat bed 7'6" Meyer Plow
2022 Silverado 3500 L8T
Project Daily Driver
Project Heavy Hauler
Project Plow Truck
MTCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:09 PM   #331
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70inbville View Post
is that area around horseshoe lake? I grew up I Pueblo and spent tons of weekends around that area. beautiful waterfall dropping out of horseshoe into tons of beaver ponds down below. ahh memories!
Horseshoe lake is on the Hermit Lake trail outside of Westcliffe. It's one of three trails on the west side of the valley. Rainbow lake (aka Cloverdale mine) is the northern-most trail, Medano is the southern-most trail and Hermit is in between them. Of the three trails only Medano goes all the way over to the other side which is the San Luis valley. Hermit used to go all the way over too, but it got closed near the top many years ago. Hermit also is an extremely rocky trail now. Not so much a full blown rock crawling trail, but it's covered in annoyingly lose and smaller rocks that makes travel slow and methodical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTCK View Post
Great write ups, Rob. Sorry to see you missed DT19 but looks like the blazer is still getting lots of use!
Yep, I was bummed, but what I missed was Death Valley and without AC it would have proved to be rough. I didn't get the truck out as much as I would have liked but made sure when I did get it out I was going to have fun. I can say I did for sure.
Old 11-24-2022, 05:05 PM   #332
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Man, it's been a while since I updated this. Many changes...Lots of trips. I'll do a speed run down memory lane here and bring us up from 2019.

2020 got into prep for DT, which included a validation run back up to Rainbow lake again. This time, just Larry, Ian and me. My dog rode shotgun. To give an idea how much the lake dropped, in a previous pic we were on the opposite shore standing at a cut in the trees looking out on the lake. My truck would be under water where it's at in this pic. The cut in the treeline can be seen here too.

The weather turned and we had to make some shelter to cook under. Like idiots, we left it up when we turned in. The wind picked up and ended up shredding the tarp.

Pretty good spot though.

Validation run completed without major issues we prepped for Desert Trip. '20 would be a year to remember on multiple levels. To start out we had a huge group that came out.

Keeping a large group together was much like herding cats, but we finally got everybody into camp.

One more camp night together and the group split into smaller ones. Larry, Ian, Ty and his wife and I stuck together.

Speaking of stuck, we managed to get the mighty K10 stuck in wet sand in the desert. Ty tugged him out of trouble and we continued on.

Poison spring canyon is a favorite trail of mine. Very remote, very pretty and rarely traveled.

Great campspot. Awesome dinner as usual.

The next day we ventured into Cayonlands to check out the Maze overlook. We never made it.

After getting stopped by a Ranger, we decided to boogie back to get the proper permits, but we were a solid three hour drive to get up there. It was on the ride back proverbial crap hit the fan. Larry's truck tried to commit suicide on the trail by almost breaking in half. Not many pics taken as we switched gears into "get this monster home" mode. We patched the crack in the frame with some flat stock we scrounged up and ended up towing it out with Ty's truck.

The biggest task to get out was the Flint Switchbacks. Nothing more than a 2000 ft elevation gain in 5 switchbacks. Ugly. But we made it out.

Within a couple of weeks within getting back from DT20, I got an offer on my 5.3/700r4 drivetrain I couldn't refuse. So I proceeded to yank it out and get the ball rolling on swapping in a 8.1 with a 5 speed.

It came out pretty good.

To be continued..
Old 11-25-2022, 01:58 AM   #333
Zoomad75
K5Camper

So with Larry driving the bus the 8.1 5-speed install came out awesome. It had it's moments where it fought harder than any other 8.1 install, but as per usual it lit right off on the first twist of the key.

The first official off road outing was our annual snow run on new years day. The newfound power of the 8.1 over the 5.3 was mind blowing. Both on the drive up there into the mountains and on the snow.

Didn't stop me from getting it stuck.

While DT prep was pretty much done with getting the truck back together after the swap I ended up bowing out to stay close to home as my Mom was struggling with ALS and I didn't want to be far. Though later with her blessing as I needed to get the hell away from the shop due to stress I went to Blazer Bash in Moab with my son.

We did the Top of the World trail solo and got the iconic shot that everybody should do when going to Moab. It's a rough trail though..

We had a great time on Backwards Bill.

Did a little wheelie action..

The next day I led a group out to Thelma and Louise point and up the Shaffer Switchbacks.

I came back from BB knowing a lot of changes were coming in my life. My Mom wasn't going to survive the battle and I made sure I was up as often as I could up to the end. I also was filing for a divorce as my soon to be ex had gone completely off the rails and was obviously in another relationship. I pulled the plug and put the house up for sale. Life at the dealership was just getting harder and harder with only two techs, twice the workload and half of it coming back due to shoddy work. I was getting beat up constantly from every angle. Customers, Ownership and the techs. My exit strategy was to pull up and gtfo as soon as the house sold. Then I got covid. Everything was already moved into storage, I couldn't stay at anybody's place for fear of infection. My Mom had passed in October and my Dad was on his own at 83. I was going to leave the dealership and go help my Dad in Denver. The dealer knew what was going on, though my timetable got accelerated when my ex managed to loose my Dog. Long story short she was missing for two days in the freezing cold and was finally found by the local animal control. The signs were pretty obvious, it was then that I decided to just leave. Packed what little I had that hadn't already been sent to Denver, turned in my stuff to the dealer and drove to Denver. Not how I planned it, but I would have lost my sanity staying any longer and staying at a buddy's house.

I got settled in and started working on a plan to hit the desert to clear out my head and hit the reset button. My buddy Bill is retired and is always up to get out of town. We planned on hitting western AZ as the weather is good compared to Colorado in Feb.

We decided to take the roads less taken on the way and cut across NM on two-lane roads. We stopped to check out the Very Large Array radio telescope and Pie Town Fred from Dirt Every Day always raved about. Too bad they were out of pie in Pie town.

My pooch came along as she needed a reset in warm weather after two frozen nights out on the streets alone.

We set up camp on night one on BLM land east of Phoenix in the dark. This is the landscape we woke up to.

Day two had us west of Phoenix at the former Camp Bouse where they trained soldiers to operate tanks for WWII. Not much is left of the old base but some foundations and the flag pole but it was still really cool to check out.

We checked out a large mine operation nearby the next day. We made our way down to Quartzite and got back on dirt south of town made our way on a trail that links up to the KofA wildlife preserve.

AZ sunsets are awesome.

AZ sunrises aren't too shabby either. Even more so when you wake up to a great orange pumpkin that was there when you went to bed.

Nick's burb is a well weathered desert dweller. He and his son are our guides to the KofA area. But don't let the dry orange paint fool ya, he's packing heat under the body. 12v Cummins, NV4500, one tons and ORD custom springs. It's a well sorted out package for sure.

Camp on night 3 was clear and chilly once the sun went down. Nick's home built awning with side walls provided a nice space to escape the wind as group and a little propane fire took the chill off.

One thing that was discovered during the trip was the NV4500 decided it wanted to eat itself. It got stuck in 4th gear a couple of times and the noise coming from the throwout bearing was sounding worse by the day. The noise was worst with the trans in neutral with the clutch pedal released but I had a feeling it was more than the bearing with the trans hanging up in gear. So I did what anybody would do a thousand miles from home and not wanting to work on it, I skipped 4th gear and turned up the stereo. Though a blown exhaust donut did a good job to slow the truck down. I fixed the donut at Bill's house on the way home and made it back to Denver under it's own power.

The I pulled the trans and found the obvious in the wiped out throwout bearing. But pulling up and down on the input shaft confirmed the input bearing was loose. I had made arrangements to get a rebuilt nv4500. They did me a solid and built a hybrid unit of an early and late version of the 4500. Early in that it has the killer 6.34:1 low gear and late in that it has the bolt on shifter and integrated release bearing. It's awesome BTW. Plus they build them with brass synchronizers vs the stock fiber-based synchros.

I got that together and did a weekend run down to Penrose to test it out and watch guys take on the hardest trail network in the state.

My truck stayed out of the rocks.

To be continued..
Old 11-27-2022, 11:02 PM   #334
Zoomad75
K5Camper

I neglected to cover some updates made to the truck prior to the summer season. First off the dead Smittybuilt air compressor was chucked in favor of an ARB twin air compressor.

The camper got an upgrade of 2ga cable feeding it from the aux battery. The fridge was struggling in the heat with a smaller feed. Hydraulic crimper for the win, killer tool.

On a weekend thrash session at Larry's we fixed the cracks in the frame at the steering box, fresh softride front springs, rear shock mount braces and yet another front fender.

These cracks occurred with the ORD steering box brace installed from the beginning when we put the 5.3 in. It's just a matter of time if you actually wheel your junk to have this happen. The weld on brace was installed by our buddy Bill.

The trip to AZ found another issue with the fenders. This time the rear bracket on the fender broke spot welds again and broke the captured nut on the cowl for the fender mount too.

With another used GM fender acquired we used the same technique Larry used on his K10 to combat the same issue of broken spot welds.

The Superlift softride 4" springs replaced the almost 20 year old Rough Country springs. ORD kevlar/poly bushings were used with greaseable bolts on all three pivot points and ORD HD shackles went in. The frame mounted shackle bushings proved to be a pain to remove.

The rear shock support brackets from ORD went in with fresh Bilstien shocks.

A fresh steering gear went on after the paint dried on the frame repair. The ride quality increased exponentially. Between the better springs and steering the truck was way more pleasing to drive at highway speed and I later found on faster dirt stuff was much more stable than before.

Desert trip came quickly after the upgrades. Utah bound with the boys.

The rest of the crew in Hanksville.

Night one up in the Henry Mountains.

There was a reason we were up in the mountains on the Desert trip. I set the route and had a surprise for everyone. The run over the pass would provide a very unique overlook of Canyonlands to the east and on the horizon, the LaSalle mountains.

Coming down the other side of the pass we went from overlooking one national park to another. Looking over Capitol Reef NP here.

On our way down the mountain I noticed my exhaust getting louder and louder. I was pretty sure I blew out another exhaust donut.

The closest part store is all the way back in Green River or Moab. The 8.1 is way down on power with the exhaust leak a scant few inches in front of the o2 sensor on that side. We had to adapt. I had a roll of aluminum tape under the front seat from the insulation I installed on the floor. The foil got wrapped around the donut to add some needed thickness. It worked.

We camped on the moon.

Continued....
Old 11-28-2022, 08:18 PM   #335
dieseldawg142

super glad you got your "bug out buddy" back, i'd be going nuts not knowing where my dawgs were...
sorry for your loss as well, my mom passed in 2018, it's never easy.
and i'll bet your a torque junky now, nice step up from the five three. that eight one looks like a piece of jewelry in your blaze-how is your gas consumption now?.....aw who cares about mpg's anyways.....
dieseldawg142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 01:24 AM   #336
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseldawg142 View Post
super glad you got your "bug out buddy" back, i'd be going nuts not knowing where my dawgs were...
sorry for your loss as well, my mom passed in 2018, it's never easy.
and i'll bet your a torque junky now, nice step up from the five three. that eight one looks like a piece of jewelry in your blaze-how is your gas consumption now?.....aw who cares about mpg's anyways.....

I tell you what, that pooch is a lot more faithful than my ex. Drove around for 2 solid days looking for her and probably would have lost my sanity had she not turned up. It was a pretty good sign if I stuck around something worse was going to happen so I hit the gas and split. Not my kind of way of doing things, but I did and it's behind me.

Losing my Mom was a gut punch but it was a much better option than to continue watch her degrade with ALS as she did. That was a big reason behind going to AZ so that I could clear my head, bond with the pooch, and take a lot of time looking out the best picture window as we plodded through the desert landscape. I'm pretty sure I got a clear sign from my Mom out there that it was ok to start over. The entire trip and the damage I put into the truck was totally worth those precious few minutes.

Torque junky is a good way to describe it. The first couple of weeks I drove it like a pissed off teenager and banged gears like Ronnie Sox on the strip. Fun for sure, not so keen on the old wallet. It's awful thirsty when leaned on hard. Like 8 mpg hard. Surprisingly if the truck is driven like an adult it doesn't get any worse mileage than the 5.3 I took out. Typical average running around town, back and forth to work was in the high 12's to mid 13's pretty consistently. I've seen as high as 16 going to Moab from Denver last year. That was driving straight into the Rockies climbing 3 solid passes in that stretch. That's no joke either. I've repeated that this year. Though once out on the Flats following Larry out of Grand Junction with an 80mph speed limit in Utah we might be doing 90 at times. Back to single digits again.

The big difference in power is really felt in the mountains obviously. The nv4500 helps in that I'm the one in charge of what gear to be. But having more torque off idle than the 5.3 made at peak makes the biggest improvement. Mountain passes before had to be tackled in shuttling the 700 between 2nd and 3rd gear to keep the engine wound up in the meat of the torque curve. Now, if traffic or the road allows I can climb passes in 5th in most cases. The steepest ones might require a short kick in 4th as the 4.10 gears in the axle keep the cruise rpm on the low side. But overall it's a kick in the pants the truck needed to make it fun to drive and much less like you have to beat on it like it owed me money. I will say this the pull from 2nd to 3rd is fun. 3rd to 4th is pretty fun too, though it's usually exceeding most local speed limits by the time you are pulling the shifter to 4th.

Its almost silly it moves as quickly as it does despite the weight and aerodynamics of a barn door.
Old 12-01-2022, 01:06 AM   #337
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Getting back to the action, we left our moonscape campsite to explore more of the lunar surface near Factory Butte.

We came back to Hanksville for a splash of gas, restock of suds and maybe an ice cream bar. Then we went right back to dirt. Found a clear spot on high ground as recent afternoon rains had been causing serious flooding.

Al Pastor pork tacos on the menu that night. We don't go hungry on these trips.

The drone I picked up was pretty fun to screw around with..

Nights in the desert are pretty sweet too.

Looking back on the Henry Mountains we started out our trip in.

We decided to go back into Poison Spring Canyon like we did two years earlier.

It's always cool to find water out here. Provides a great place to stop while I wait for the rest to catch up. Pretty good relief walking around in it to cool off too.

The trail goes steeply down to the river in the bottom of the canyon to cross and begin climbing back up again.

This is about as close to a selfie you'll get. I used my knockoff go-pro to catch me out in the middle checking the depth. Might have been an excuse to get into the water again as it was HOT and there is no a/c in my truck. The water was much deeper than the last time. I was up to my knees this time due to the runoff from all the recent rains.

Not a bad campsite.

Our last day on the trail led us south to Mexican Hat where we refueled and headed over to Monument Valley. I swore I saw the Road Runner and Coyote run by us at one point.

The Blazer made it back without issue. The new transmission with deeper first gear proved to be killer in downhill runs and steep climbs. Just let out the clutch and let it creep along.

I made a quick weekend trip to the mountains with my sis and her hubby in the summer and got skunked fishing. Came back and prepped for Blazer Bash again. My plan was for my son and I to go out early and take on White Rim trail within Canyonlands with my buddy Bill.

However, the truck had other plans. We took off and started up the initial climb up I-70 west of Denver and the 8.1 was WAY down on power. Like needing 3rd gear to maintain 45mph and slowing down. I pulled off the highway to a parking lot and scanned for codes with my phone and sure enough it was setting lean fuel trim codes, misfires. Sure felt like it was not getting enough fuel. Hooked up my gauge and confirmed my thought. 45psi. Should be a solid 20psi more and I was honestly surprised it actually ran with that low of fuel pressure. Ordered a Delphi pump at the Napa near my house and headed that way to pick it up. Called my Dad to let him know what was up and picked up lunch.

So the start of our trip has us back in the driveway siphoning fuel out of a completely full tank.

The kid was a major help to rip the tank out and back in again. And to head off the obvious, no I'm not cutting a hole in the floor to make that job easier. There's too much crap from the camper in the way.

Sucess! 65 PSI! Let's hit the road! Bill had already left Pueblo for us to meet outside of Canyonlands. Dad thought we were nuts, but the truck ran like a top. Back to climbing passes in 5th again.

We crossed the state line at 11:59 so my goal to get into Utah that day was met. The next morning we checked in at the National park visitors center for our permits and to secure a campsite on White Rim. That trail is a right at a 100 mile loop from end to end covering the top of a huge mesa that has the Colorado River on it's east and the Green River on it's west. There are no facilities short of the few campsites. No fuel, water or anything unless you bring it with you. Our kind of fun. The Schaffer switchbacks drop you into the area from the visitors center.

We had lunch on the Colorado river by taking a side trail down to it.

Our campsite was up on Murphy's Hogback. Amazing spot.

The night sky was very bright with a near full moon. But still it was fun to get some night shots.

Continued....
Old 12-02-2022, 12:49 AM   #338
Zoomad75
K5Camper

After sweating our asses off in the camper that night we decided to get moving early to try and beat the heat of the day. We failed in that. The heat was oppressive and had my son and me on edge. This was not a good time either as we had the toughest section of the trail up ahead.

Don't let the scenery fool you though..

It's steep and narrow.

Photos were limited from that point. We got ourselves into a situation on one of the uphill sections. Following Bill's Waggy into a tight section the trail had a hard left turn at the top of a climb. The turn was so tight, you needed to actually go right, and turn around in a wide flat spot and then head back the other way. We had stopped to let Bill turn around and then we would continue up. Though when watching Bill make that last climb we saw the right rear wheel of the waggy on the edge of what would be best described as a drainage ditch off the main trail. We noted to each other to watch it as we got up to it. I made my way up to that spot I had came to a stop just before my front tires getting to the level ground. As soon as we stopped we felt the truck list over quickly to the passenger side as the ground gave way under the right rear tire. I looked at my Lev-o-gauge on the dash and saw the little ball peg at the end showing 45 degrees. I'm pretty sure at that point the left rear tire was off the ground and then the truck settled back to the left bringing the gauge back to 35 degrees.

It was tense for a few minutes. I knew if I got out, the loss of my weight might allow the truck to continue to go over. My son didn't want to get out but he might weigh 140 pounds at the most, but the Dad side of me wanted him as far from inside of the truck as possible. Bill got our attention over the radio and told us not to move. Yeah, already doing that! He said he'd position the waggy and start unspooling the winch rope. I had a soft shackle under the kid's seat and had him pull it out. I tossed it out the window to Bill as he was rolling over to the front of my truck. Keep in mind Bill is in a wheelchair getting this recovery going. Hooked up he got back to the Waggy and started the pull. Though the heft of the K5 did more to pull the his truck to mine than mine to his.

Bill called back on the radio for the kid to hop out and come hold the brake on the Waggy. It was the ticket. We only needed a few feet worth of tugging and with the K5 slowly turning tires in low/low it walked out without any damage other than brown stains on both the seat covers.

After we got pulled up:

The rest of the way out was done mostly in silence as we were both spooked and paying extra close attention to any narrow section. Getting back to pavement, we decided to drive back to Moab and get a shake from a little local joint and figure out our next move.

We had planned to head back out on another trail and camp out one more night before meeting up with the Blazer Bash folks. But with the heat still high we needed a break. I called our campground and was able to snag a cabin with a/c for the night. We had our own shower too. Bingo, sold. Bill took his time heading back to Colorado and we checked into the campground. Meeting up with the crew after cleaning up was a good time catching up and bench racing. I was leading a trail on Saturday again and felt like we should pre-run it because there was some mention of damage from recent flooding.

So we set off the next morning for Chicken Corners with a friend from Texas in his killer Suburban with his Dad.

The trail takes us up and over Hurrah Pass. We are now on the east side of the Colorado river and looking due west back into Canyonlands where we were at a couple of days before.

We stopped for lunch in a cool shady spot and took in our surroundings while having a great conversation.

David's Burb is a mechanical work of art. Tucks 40's, moves faster over rough track than you would think the laws of physics would allow. I've seen it rock crawl like it's nothing and dance over dirt roads like a pre-runner. Amazing.

We came back to camp and I used the residual heat from our fun to help de-thaw a couple of t-bones for us to eat for dinner.

Blazer Bash is next...
Old 12-03-2022, 12:57 AM   #339
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Friday morning at Blazer Bash. A small sample of the trucks that showed up.

We chose to go on the Steelbender trail. That proved to be dumb on my part. But we did pretty good until we didn't.

The Fall was pretty crazy to go down.

This might give you an idea how the rest of the trail went.

The cliff notes version is I hurt the beast. Bad. Started out with what sounded like another broken front axle shaft. Upon further inspection both looked ok. Got tugged out of a light spot and got to a spot to take the hub apart on the side that made the noise. Found lots of debris, chunks and gritty grease. The outer locknut on the spindle backed off and chewed up the backside of the hub. The spindle was damaged too on the threads. I patched it together which, was to throw another lockout hub on it and worry about it back at camp. The problem was, we had more break on the way out. Taking it easy we were rolling along when we heard a loud snap come from under the truck an seconds later a report of a massive amount of fluid leaking.

We stopped again to inspect. It's atf pouring at a high rate. Since the nv4500 doesn't take ATF the only source is the 241. It's got a gaping wound on the rear case half near the skid plate. So much for the skid plate protecting the case. We had got hung up on the belly earlier and it shoved the factory skid plate up into the case. It bound it up the noise we heard was the case letting go.

Group consensus was to pull the rear shaft and get tugged out. After making it another half mile and popping a front tire off the bead from getting tugged I lost my cool and vented some, regrouped and shoved the shaft back in and went back to driving it in 2wd to keep the load off the front output. We still had a way to go and a handfull of crazy climbs to get out. We got tugged in the hard spots but drove it out. One of the other guys got a trailer over to the trail to get us back to camp.

We were late enough the BBQ was going on already with the rest of the Blazer Bash attendees. I was handed the hard luck award for our troubles.

The next day we spent figuring out how to get the K5 back to Denver. Though many offered, I ended up calling Bill and out he came with the rescue Waggy and a trailer.

Since getting back my son and I repaired the axle with a fresh good used spindle and bearings. All the grease was flushed out to rid it of the metal slurry and chunks.

We then removed the t-case and got to inspect it further. First thing I noticed was the skid plate still being under tension until we loosened up the bolts to it. With it apart the rear half we knew was cracked, but we found a small crack in the front too. I had a spare case so I wasn't too concerned. But the rear output bearing housing was cracked at a mounting ear too. Being a 2 year only passenger side drop 241 with the VSS sensor, that housing is a unicorn to find.

Coming apart..

Junk in the case stuck to the magnet. Turns out it was a block from the synchronizer and one of the retaining springs.

Broke bearing housing.

Though my search had me spread a net far and wide. I ended up calling Off Road Design in hopes they had a junk 241 core I could rob parts from. They didn't but they did enlighten me that a Driver side drop 241 rear bearing housing fits. The VSS sensor clocks differently but it's still in line with the tone ring. Found one on ebay and ordered it.

Waiting on a couple of small pieces I ordered to go back together. I did already get a full rebuild kit and a SYE kit too.
Old 12-03-2022, 04:11 PM   #340
Willowrun

Being in Michigan I greatly enjoy seeing your adventures out west. One of my favorite threads for sure!
Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 10:37 PM   #341
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowrun View Post
Being in Michigan I greatly enjoy seeing your adventures out west. One of my favorite threads for sure!
Thanks. We have fun out on our adventures, but putting them up also gives me an ability to come back and relive some of the moments too.
Old 12-27-2022, 01:04 AM   #342
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Been too cold and too busy to do anything on the t-case. But I did manage to get a correct rear bearing housing from another member over on CK5. All the housings need cleanup, but I've got all the parts to get moving on that.

Though a couple of months back I did something to change the truck in the front end again. My original Warn Premium winch bumper took on more damage on Steel Bender in Moab (quite the appropriate name I think) and added with the damage it took from a snow wheeling trip where it actually was torn, it was time to retire it from abuse. The free to me Warn XD9000i winch was still capable but was going to need some love in the motor department. I had an intermittent condition where the motor wouldn't respond to the switch input without tapping on the motor itself to get it to work.

I've been following a new company that caters to old squarebody trucks and started out making sweet shackle brackets to replace tow hooks for safer recoveries and slick winch mounts that hide behind stock bumpers. Look them up over at Engineered Vintage on Instagram or online. They posted a coming soon item as a replacement for the long discontinued "bumper in a box" type bumpers sold by Warn and other winch manufacturers back in the day. Anybody that has shopped for one on craigslist, FB marketplace or even at a swap meet have found that the owners think they were cast out of gold or something. If you happen to lay eyes on them they have decades worth of abuse, the mounts require work or all new parts and usually full on restoration. On top of that they are not that "beefy" in the mount department to start with. The last one I found online wanted $1500 for a very crusty one.

So the Engineered Vintage solution is to get the look right with much much stronger structure and mounting. It's the spitting image of a vintage Warn bumper but 10 times stronger. So the day he opened up the ordering I put my order in over my morning toast. I clicked another box on the order for the winch I planned to run. As they have been come to be known as the "one winch to rule them all" otherwise known as the old school but fast and strong Warn 8274 upright winch. I got mine by horse trading a set of squarebody hydraulic clutch/brake pedals to a buddy that needed them and he was willing to let go of the winch.

It fits my plan to have the vintage look and feel, but with a modern twist. In this case I've got a list of part numbers to update the 1977 built winch to today's 8274-70 specs with the 6.5 hp motor and modern albright contactor relay over the old solenoids. The mechanical bits have very little changes, but the motor and relay bump the winch weight rating up from 8,000 pounds to a full 10,000 pounds. Combined with 125 feet of synthetic rope it will be a combination that will be hard to beat.

Two of these boxes showed up a couple days before the holiday. Merry Christmas to me!

Looking good so far..

Thick lazer cut goodness.

The winch is crusty, but all there. Plus the freespool handle isn't frozen like many this age normally are.