The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2020, 12:55 PM   #1
My3Sons!

adjust steering

I can't seem to find anything on how to adjust steering, mainly because I can't seem to figure out how to search for what I'm after. Simply put, my Jimmy will turn MUCH more to the right, than the left. Basically, full turn to the right and wheels are where you would expect them, giving you a very tight turn. However full turn to the left and it's about half as tight a turn. Not sure it's related, or just another problem I need to fix, I have massive play in steering in general, almost dangerously so, but since I almost exclusively drive 30mph or lower I've just kind of dealt with it. How is this remedied, and are there different procedures to address each issue, or are they related? Thanks in advance.
My3Sons! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:22 AM   #2
hemi43

Re: adjust steering

Turn the steering wheel to the extreme right, then count how many turns it takes to turn to the extreme left. Divide that number in 2 and so you can find out where the center line of the steering box is. Your wheels should now be pointing perfectly straight. If they are out slightly, then you can adjust the tie rod ends to line up the wheels. If it's out by a lot, then you will have to move your pitman arm one tooth. I can't see this as being the problem, because if I recall the pitman arm can only be mounted in one location.
As far as lots of play, you may be able to adjust the backlash on the worm gear by tightening up the adjusting bolt then back it off 1/4 turn. If you still have play, get another steering box. FWIW, don't buy a quick ratio box. Once you get the play taken care of, use a tape measure and aim for 1/8"-3/16" toe-in. Toe adjustment is all you can play with without getting into tapered shims and/or camber bushings.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:55 PM   #3
bluek5

So looking at your avatar I would say you have at least a 4” lift. A suspension lift is going to change the angle of the drag link. You are going to need to adjust the length of the drag link make it longer or get a raised steering arm.
Attached Images

bluek5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:55 PM   #4
My3Sons!

I never thought of that, not sure you can tell from this pic, do I still have a stock one? This replacement one just puts it at a better angle with the lift?

(pic is upside down for some reason....)
Attached Images

Last edited by My3Sons!; 10-11-2020 at 08:56 PM. Reason: text
My3Sons! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:07 PM   #5
Getter-Done

flip for ya.
Name:  my3sons (2).jpg
Views: 200
Size:  61.7 KB

Good point bluek5 brought up.

You do have the pitman arm you need for a 4 inch lift.

63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:25 PM   #6
bluek5

Well so much for needing a raised steering arm. I have experienced what you are describing without one. Can you get the front end on jack stands and try to adjust the drag link? Center the steering box lock to lock and adjust the drag link to where the wheels are straight. Just make sure the threaded ends of the drag link have plenty of engagement. Let us know how it goes. The pitman arm cannot be moved as hemi43 suggested.
bluek5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 01:29 AM   #7
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluek5 View Post
well so much for needing a raised steering arm. I have experienced what you are describing without one. Can you get the front end on jack stands and try to adjust the drag link? Center the steering box lock to lock and adjust the drag link to where the wheels are straight. Just make sure the threaded ends of the drag link have plenty of engagement. Let us know how it goes. The pitman arm cannot be moved as hemi43 suggested.
+1 on previous post, you have a raised steering arm. Not a dropped pitman arm. Sloppy steering could be a worn out rag joint, tie rod ends or drag link ends if you are lucky. Maybe just a worn out steering box. Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth with the wheels on the ground while checking steering system to look where the slop is.

Last edited by Richard; 10-12-2020 at 01:38 AM.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #8
hemi43

I just remembered something. These trucks are notorious for having cracked frames where the steering box bolts up. Mine was, and the truck only had 50K on it. Like Richard mentioned, have someone move the steering wheel back and forth and look to see where the play is. Also look closely at the box to make sure it's not moving in relation to the frame.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote