The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2020, 05:05 PM   #1
Scott2.0

Carpet vs rubber

Hi all, I'm going to be adding 3-point seatbelts soon and figure it may also be a good time to replace my front of the cab rubber mat that has a hole in it. As I'm looking at ordering one, I see this:

https://www.lmctruck.com/1960-66-che...ber-floor-mats

So I think, wow, for $170, maybe I should look at at carpet and find this:

https://www.lmctruck.com/1960-66-che...-molded-carpet

So, for $10 more I can have carpet throughout as opposed to carpet in the rear of the cab and a rubber mat in the front. Am I missing anything here?
Scott2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:21 PM   #2
TxCajun

Re: Carpet vs rubber

After looking at comments from various users on this site, I bought a floor mat from The Truck and Car shop for $145. Very good quality and fit.

http://www.truckandcarshop.com/trucks60_72/t60_037.html
Old 10-14-2020, 09:37 PM   #3
AcampoDave

LMC and others do carry a mat style floor covering that covers the whole floor. It doesn't quite look original, but a friend of mine got one and it fit well with some trimming around the edges. Here's a link. Markeb01 used it in his truck too so you can see it in his build thread as well.
https://www.lmctruck.com/1960-66-che...mip-floor-mats
Edit: As for carpet...almost all vehicular carpet is made by ACC. Do a web search and find your best deal. I saved a lot at Rockauto I sprung for the "mass backed" option and it is a nice heavy piece of moulded carpet.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 10-14-2020 at 09:51 PM.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:00 PM   #4
Scott2.0

Thanks, guys. I’ll check out the links. As if now, for $180 I think I’m leaning toward the full cab carpet from LMC. IMO, it doesn’t make sense to pay the same for a half cab of rubber.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:59 PM   #5
roll_the_dice

I just bought the rubber mat from Classicparts...should be here tomorrow according to tracking...I can let you know how it looks. According to what I saw and read it is supposed to look original. I like the matt look over carpet though...had carpet in the truck when I bought it, but it depends on the look you are going for. I debated back and forth, but liked the idea I could take the matt out and clean it easily if need be.

Last edited by roll_the_dice; 10-14-2020 at 11:07 PM.
roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:20 PM   #6
roll_the_dice

I received the mat today...I like it. My truck is at the shop getting exhaust and a few other things done to it, so I won't know fitment until next week, but I like how it looks.

I have it sitting in the sun to get wrinkles out from shipping.
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2020, 04:12 PM   #7
The Rocknrod

Did you see this stuff? - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=529854
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 06:53 PM   #8
Corts60
Just here to tinker

That looks like it is pretty good quality!
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:31 AM   #9
Rubbertiredtramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
I just bought the rubber mat from Classicparts...should be here tomorrow according to tracking...I can let you know how it looks. According to what I saw and read it is supposed to look original. I like the matt look over carpet though...had carpet in the truck when I bought it, but it depends on the look you are going for. I debated back and forth, but liked the idea I could take the matt out and clean it easily if need be.
I like the looks of your new mat. I wonder if they are all made by the same manufacturer, or some better quality. I wouldn’t go with carpeting, I think it would hold moisture and cause rust, and how would you keep it clean.
Rubbertiredtramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:53 AM   #10
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbertiredtramp View Post
I like the looks of your new mat. I wonder if they are all made by the same manufacturer, or some better quality. I wouldn’t go with carpeting, I think it would hold moisture and cause rust, and how would you keep it clean.
I "think" they are all made by the same company...just a guess. This one seems like it is very good quality. It is thicker and heavier than I thought it would be. Will be installing soonish...will update after that.

I had carpet in mine when I bought it...never liked it. I had a small leak around my window gasket and the carpet held moisture just like you said. So when I ripped it out I swore I wouldn't do carpet again even though I have repaired all the holes where moisture came in.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:59 PM   #11
Backpayne

I just installed, literally tonight, full cab carpet from ACC, and I am extremely impressed with the quality. I ordered it from Rockauto and would highly recommend it.
Backpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:11 PM   #12
dracko

I also went with the floor mat from truck and car shop and do not regret it. Fit great and durable, not worried about the kids dragging mud all over it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

dracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:20 PM   #13
Scott2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backpayne View Post
I just installed, literally tonight, full cab carpet from ACC, and I am extremely impressed with the quality. I ordered it from Rockauto and would highly recommend it.
Nice! Any pics of the finished product?

Is this what you bought? https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=896&jsn=896 I'm curious how far up the firewall it goes, if at all.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:20 PM   #14
Scott2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracko View Post
I also went with the floor mat from truck and car shop and do not regret it. Fit great and durable, not worried about the kids dragging mud all over it.
Posted via Mobile Device
That is one beautiful cab!
Old 10-25-2020, 05:05 PM   #15
Backpayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2.0 View Post
Nice! Any pics of the finished product?

Is this what you bought? https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...sn=896&jsn=896 I'm curious how far up the firewall it goes, if at all.
Pretty sure that is what I bought. This isn't the best picture but you can kind of see how far up it goes.
Attached Images

Backpayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:35 PM   #16
SS317

Man that looks great. I did rubber about 6 years ago on my 66 and now I'm probably going to change directions and go with carpet after the motor is done. I bought my rubber from classic parts and it fit pretty good, minor trimming was all that was needed.
SS317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:46 PM   #17
Angrywood

did anyone use sound deadening products like dynamat underneath these molded carpet kits? did it fit well with the molds? thanks
Angrywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 06:06 PM   #18
AcampoDave

I've never done it under a mat, but it did work well with carpet and I put Kilmat, Noico Red and a full jute pad under mine. There was plenty of extra material on the mass backed carpet I bought, so I still had a decent amount of overage around the perimeter. The full floor mat that I have helped a couple of friends do also had plenty of overage around the entire perimeter too and if I was gonna wager on it, I'd bet on it working out fine.
Old 08-24-2022, 06:21 PM   #19
AcampoDave

This is my only gripe, right next to the kick panels, but I've read this to be a common complaint.
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2022, 12:05 AM   #20
Angrywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
I've never done it under a mat, but it did work well with carpet and I put Kilmat, Noico Red and a full jute pad under mine. There was plenty of extra material on the mass backed carpet I bought, so I still had a decent amount of overage around the perimeter. The full floor mat that I have helped a couple of friends do also had plenty of overage around the entire perimeter too and if I was gonna wager on it, I'd bet on it working out fine.
Thank you
Angrywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 06:22 PM   #21
UK62LW

I put some sound deadening under mine and no issues with the fitment - most deadener is pretty thin anyway.

I was pretty pleased with the fit of the ACC carpet set, but it had a few wrinkles in it which I'm hoping will drop out over time. Probably not helped by me storing it in the box for a few months!

I bought the kick panels and the piece behind the tank too. A few extra holes to cut in mine, but you get the idea:

1962 Chevy C20
1974 Ford Econoline
1987 Peugeot 205 GTi
1991 Peugeot 205 GTi
UK62LW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 10:10 PM   #22
twoskies

had my upholstery guy make a couple pieces to cover where the kick panel meets the floor, he had some black carpet scraps and used some leftover aqua vinyl from the seat, i made a pattern out of cardboard and use 2 sided tape to hold it in place,
have to look towards the passenger kick panel, best picture i could find

truck is a mess , lol
Attached Images