The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-20-2015, 10:51 AM   #11
Chaplain

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
Well you don't remove it at the end you did, LOL cause there you have to pay attention to the splines, if you leave it attached to the gear box like I did and separate the other end from the tie rod linkage then even Ray Charles can put it back on correctly with his feet, hee hee

Seriously though you should be ok, end to end is about 3 to 3.5 turns, so turn it all the way to one end, then turn it all the way to the other and count the revolutions then put the splines in the middle, the pitman arm when on points almost towards the driver, trial and error won't hurt either, put it on and twist the steering wheel if you are a tooth off pop it off and adjust (of course without driving, but when parked)
Oh that makes sense. I was getting worked up for nothing. Last time I did one of these was in 1998 when I was working on my 1980 K5 Blazer.

Thanks...for the build thread (wink wink).
Chaplain is offline   Reply With Quote