The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-26-2024, 07:41 PM   #1
weq92f

crappy products

I've been using dell laptops forever...always the latest business model latitude each time I got a new one. This, until this last time where I went with a consumer level inspiron 16 2in1 laptop/tablet. It was a gift because the giver thought my solid Dell latitude e6540 was getting long in the tooth, so I went with it.

It's not out of warranty until June of this year (1 year warranty) but it's already proven to be a POS disposable appliance that isn't meant to last a single year.

o touchpad mouse is a joke it's so useless...in fact, it causes loss of data because it will just click on whatever it chooses while you move the mouse around or while the mouse pointer jumps around. This is a common problem with these machines. Dell will replace the mouse pad under warranty but problem just happens again.

o keyboard: certain keys stubbornly refuse to work occasionally requiring repeated hammering the key before it starts working again. Dell support would not touch this without being able to reliably reproduce it.

o complex 2in1 style hinges are glued to the display panel...glued. This glue is a common failure point often breaking the LCD or OLED panel when they come unglued. Not covered under warranty.

o The chassis of this machine is very bendy, flexy, stretchy feeling. There is no way the internal components can last long if it isn't handled with extreme care.

One of the hinges broke/came unglued and broke my LCD/OLED display panel rendering the touch-screen functionality useless (had to disable the touch-screen as the crack in the glass caused it to malfunction badly).

Dell support says hinges and any damage caused by them are not covered under warranty and referred me to the sales group to schedule $$repair$$.

I'm walking around today in Best Buy just curious to see and feel what they had to offer. The Samsungs seemed solid, as did asus and a couple others. They actually had the same dell as mine ( the junk one ) on display along with a few other dell machines and right there on their display counter was a dell with a broken/unglued hinge. See below...it's just screaming DON'T BUY ME.

I repaired my hinge with some careful disassembly, sand paper and epoxy but the broken screen is expensive...not really in the cards this time around unfortunately as I got real used to the touch screen functionality.

EDIT: Tried three different times to correct the sideways image. OMG. 1) used windows file explorer to "rotate left" then "rotate right" 2) used windows image viewer to save it in the right position and finally 3) tried another usually reliable method. None of these worked!!!

-klb
Attached Images

99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold

Last edited by weq92f; 02-26-2024 at 07:51 PM.
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote