The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2020, 09:33 AM   #1
GMJimmy

68 C10 Lowering dilemma

I need some suggestions lowering my 68 C10 short bed. I bought this truck the way you see it in the pictures. The front has Russell (never heard of them and can't get any info on them) drop spindles and the rear (coil springs) has 2 inch lowering blocks. The dilemma is I want to get rid of the lowering blocks but I'm not sure if it was lowered with just the blocks or blocks and springs. If I order new springs to replace the blocks it's a 2 inch drop but if I assume the springs and blocks were used and order the wrong springs I'm stuck with them.

According to the LMC Truck catalog it looks like the front was dropped 2-1/2 inches and the rear either 3 or 4 inches??

Here is the front.

[/IMG]

Here is the rear

What I'm asking is what does this front and rear drop look like to you? If the back looks like a 4 inch drop I'll remove the 2 inch lowering blocks and install 4 inch drop springs.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
GMJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:12 AM   #2
68Stepbed

Re: 68 C10 Lowering dilemma

Can you take pics of the rear springs? Also, can we see a whole sideshot of the truck?

If you like the way it looks, why change it? Does it ride bad, or do you just want it lowered properly?

Keep in mind that going to a 4" spring may require shorter shocks and shock relocation brackets for better ride quality.

FWIW, I wouldn't order anything from LMC. Try www.azproperformance.com

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:41 PM   #3
GMJimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Stepbed View Post
Can you take pics of the rear springs? Also, can we see a whole sideshot of the truck?

If you like the way it looks, why change it? Does it ride bad, or do you just want it lowered properly?

Keep in mind that going to a 4" spring may require shorter shocks and shock relocation brackets for better ride quality.

FWIW, I wouldn't order anything from LMC. Try www.azproperformance.com
Well first it needs a C notch kit because the axle is 1\2 inch from the bump stop and not comfortable over bumpy road. Secondly the lowering blocks are causing the trailing arms to be too low to the ground. I want to eliminate the blocks and use only the springs to lower it. I already have shock relocation brackets installed and the shocks are fine and don't bottom out. I don't want to lower the truck at the back any more than it already is. What I don't know is did the previous owner use springs and blocks to get it that low or just the blocks?? If someone who has lowered their truck as mine is in the picture what springs did they use?
Thanks
Old 12-02-2020, 01:56 PM   #4
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJimmy View Post
Well first it needs a C notch kit because the axle is 1\2 inch from the bump stop and not comfortable over bumpy road. Secondly the lowering blocks are causing the trailing arms to be too low to the ground. I want to eliminate the blocks and use only the springs to lower it. I already have shock relocation brackets installed and the shocks are fine and don't bottom out. I don't want to lower the truck at the back any more than it already is. What I don't know is did the previous owner use springs and blocks to get it that low or just the blocks?? If someone who has lowered their truck as mine is in the picture what springs did they use?
Thanks
If you look under the truck at where the trailing arms attach to the rear end you can tell if lowering blocks are installed.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:25 PM   #5
GMJimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
If you look under the truck at where the trailing arms attach to the rear end you can tell if lowering blocks are installed.
I know I have 2 inch lowering blocks installed. I want to get rid of them and replace the existing springs to get the same height.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:31 PM   #6
Thealien

Quote:
I know I have 2 inch lowering blocks installed. I want to get rid of them and replace the existing springs to get the same height.
I am going with 2" blocks and springs as I want as much suspension travel as I can get.

Even if the trailing arms are closer to the ground with the blocks they are in line with the tires and shouldn't hit anything unless it goes between your tires. Speed bumps etc should not be a problem.

I really don't have a clue and am in the planning stages of mine. If I feel the trailing arms really are too low I may swap to a 1" block? Personally I want as much suspension travel as possible and no C notch.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 03:51 PM   #7
GMJimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
I am going with 2" blocks and springs as I want as much suspension travel as I can get.

Even if the trailing arms are closer to the ground with the blocks they are in line with the tires and shouldn't hit anything unless it goes between your tires. Speed bumps etc should not be a problem.

I really don't have a clue and am in the planning stages of mine. If I feel the trailing arms really are too low I may swap to a 1" block? Personally I want as much suspension travel as possible and no C notch.
This picture is with 2 inch lowering blocks but not sure the springs are stock. If so this is what you get for clearance to the bump stop.

Old 12-02-2020, 04:02 PM   #8
Thealien

Just blocks shouldn't get you that low. From what I have been reading (I am new to 2 wheel drive suspensions) you can go about 5" before needing a notch.

Take another picture of how close to the floor your differential is?

Again from what I have been reading even with a C notch there isn't much more travel before the differential hits the bottom of the floor.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:13 PM   #9
GMJimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thealien View Post
Take another picture of how close to the floor your differential is?
You mean from the bottom of the bed not the floor? I can't get under there with a camera and the gas tank in the back won't allow a picture but I estimate about 4 to 5 inches from the top of the diff to the bed.

According to the pictures in the catalog above and the picture of my truck at the rear it looks like I have a 3 inch drop???

Last edited by GMJimmy; 12-02-2020 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:41 PM   #10
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Post a picture of your rear springs. What I see are coils that are touching each other. This means someone heated the springs.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:54 PM   #11
GMJimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Post a picture of your rear springs. What I see are coils that are touching each other. This means someone heated the springs.
Spring coils are not even close. No evidence of heated coils.

Old 12-02-2020, 05:41 PM   #12
68Stepbed

Something seems way off here! I had 6" drop springs, and .75" blocks on my 68 before changing to coilovers. I had removed the bumpstops, but still had plenty of frame clearance. There's no way a 4" drop should be hitting the bumpstops.

Can you post of full side shot of the truck?

Old 12-02-2020, 05:44 PM   #13
68Stepbed

What size wheels/tires are on the truck?

Old 12-02-2020, 05:49 PM   #14
68Stepbed

I'm thinking you may have a 4/6 drop.

Take a stroll through this thread to see what looks like you have instead of comparing to that inaccurate LMC rendering.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=430300&page=2

Old 12-02-2020, 05:59 PM   #15
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Spring coils are not even close. No evidence of heated coils.

Sorry. Not sure what I saw in the last picture.
Attached Images

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:59 PM   #16
LS short box

Per your pic above if you remove the lowering block your axle assembly will lower (raising the truck) the thickness of the block. In your case 2". But the trailing arm will remain the same distance from the ground. The trailing arm to ground distance is determined by the wheel and tire combo you are running. I think I got that right. Others can chime in if I'm incorrect.
I'm running a a 5.5" drop in the rear. 4" springs with 2" blocks. My frame is c-notched. I added a 1/2" spacer under the rear spring to give me the rake I wanted. Bell Tech 4" springs.
If you have enough threads on the u-bolt or if you don't adding a bunch temporary washers I'd try removing the 2" block and see if that works for you.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:05 PM   #17
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
Per your pic above if you remove the lowering block your axle assembly will lower (raising the truck) the thickness of the block. In your case 2". But the trailing arm will remain the same distance from the ground. The trailing arm to ground distance is determined by the wheel and tire combo you are running. I think I got that right. Others can chime in if I'm incorrect..
If you remove the lowering block the trailing arm at the rear axle will be 2” farther away from the ground.

To the OP,... those look like 5” or 6” drop springs.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:36 PM   #18
GMJimmy

Quote:
What size wheels/tires are on the truck?
275-45-18 on the back and 245-45-18 on the front. You may be correct about the LMC rendering not being correct.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:48 PM   #19
GMJimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
If you remove the lowering block the trailing arm at the rear axle will be 2” farther away from the ground.

To the OP,... those look like 5” or 6” drop springs.
5" or 6" drop springs and a 2" lowering block??? I really appreciate the suggestions but the distance between the top of the tire and the fender doesn't indicate that. The axle to frame/bump stop doesn't either?? I'm gonna get burned by buying springs if I don't get the right ones the first time. The main reason for doing all of this is so I can get rid of the 2 inch lowering blocks. The ground clearance is too low. It's not really a problem on the road but I hit/grazed a raised manhole cover once and I have a scissor lift that I can't drive on without driving up on ramps.

I know for sure I have stock springs in the front because I bought them and installed them. I tried with NO LUCK to identify the front drop spindles. The casting says RUSSELL. Everyone I spoke with in the industry says they've never heard of them. Obviously they were around but where?

Here is another view. Another thing I have to change is the angle of the panhard bar.

Last edited by GMJimmy; 12-02-2020 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:17 PM   #20
GMJimmy

Quote:
I'm thinking you may have a 4/6 drop.

Take a stroll through this thread to see what looks like you have instead of comparing to that inaccurate LMC rendering.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=430300&page=2
After looking at the link you sent me I'm thinking it may be 3 inch drop springs and a 2 inch lowering block for a total of 5 inches?? I guess the best way to determine how much mine is dropped in the rear is the distance between the axle tube and the bump stop or frame. My axle tube is about 1/8" from the bump stop and it does need a C notch or my wife won't get in it anymore. LOL

Last edited by GMJimmy; 12-02-2020 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:38 AM   #21
SCOTI

Quote:
Thanks
Nobody commented on this statement so I will.... When you remove the lowering blocks, you will also be decreasing the shock stroke the same amount. Lowering blocks in a truck-arm application allow for drop w/o impacting the shock stroke distance. If you eliminate the blocks & maintain a similar drop amount using coils only, you will be decreasing the shocks travel so they may not work like they do now once the blocks are removed.

Something to be aware of & understand.

Also, for the Panhard bar, extend the frame mount lower vs. changing the bracket on the rear housing. At or slightly below the axle centerline & parallel to the road would be better vs. above the centerline (how they were originally).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:18 PM   #22
GMJimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Nobody commented on this statement so I will.... When you remove the lowering blocks, you will also be decreasing the shock stroke the same amount. Lowering blocks in a truck-arm application allow for drop w/o impacting the shock stroke distance. If you eliminate the blocks & maintain a similar drop amount using coils only, you will be decreasing the shocks travel so they may not work like they do now once the blocks are removed.

Something to be aware of & understand.

Also, for the Panhard bar, extend the frame mount lower vs. changing the bracket on the rear housing. At or slightly below the axle centerline & parallel to the road would be better vs. above the centerline (how they were originally).
Thanks SCOTI
I'm well aware of the shock issue. I may just install the c notch kit for now and worry about the removal of the lowering blocks later. I agree that I should lower the banhard bar bracket on the frame. Are there weld on brackets available or do I have to fabricate one?
Thanks
Jim
Old 12-03-2020, 01:11 PM   #23
SCOTI

Quote:
Thanks SCOTI
I'm well aware of the shock issue. I may just install the c notch kit for now and worry about the removal of the lowering blocks later. I agree that I should lower the banhard bar bracket on the frame. Are there weld on brackets available or do I have to fabricate one?
Thanks
Jim
I know NoLimit Engineering & Porterbuilt sell aftermarket PHB 'kits' that have a bracket that bolts to the frame & has a lower position relative to the OE location but I don't know of a single frame bracket available. My guess is you'd need to fab one. It's not too difficult if you have the tools & desire. I made mine before the NLE & PB stuff was available.....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=368476
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:09 PM   #24
GMJimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I know NoLimit Engineering & Porterbuilt sell aftermarket PHB 'kits' that have a bracket that bolts to the frame & has a lower position relative to the OE location but I don't know of a single frame bracket available. My guess is you'd need to fab one. It's not too difficult if you have the tools & desire. I made mine before the NLE & PB stuff was available.....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=368476
Thanks for the info and the link. You did a good good job on that. I'll have to copy that! Is it patent pending?
Old 12-04-2020, 07:09 PM   #25
GMJimmy

Does anybody want to take a crack at what the drop is and who the manufacturer of these spindles is?

The casting says Russell.