The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > Review Board > Vendor Reviews

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2019, 11:32 PM   #26
Ventanakaz

Re: West Coast Engines

Yah your probably right, since I'm not that savvy LOL. Last pic though
Attached Images

Ventanakaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:35 PM   #27
Ventanakaz

Thanks geezer#99, You are very much appreciated. Thanks for your help
Old 08-31-2019, 11:44 PM   #28
geezer#99

You’re a pic taking fool now!! LOL!!
Fine looking ride!
Where in or where is Pacifica?
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:48 AM   #29
Ventanakaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
You’re a pic taking fool now!! LOL!!
Fine looking ride!
Where in or where is Pacifica?
...No i,m just the fool, the pics just came for the ride Pacifica is in California about a half hour from San Francisco on the coast Hwy 1 and the beach is about 4 or 6 blocks from me and then the mountains are behind me about half mile to mountains.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:39 AM   #30
geezer#99

My google search turned up nada about Pacifica!
I’m coastal too. About 400 yards to the Strait.
About 50 miles from Vancouver.
Good to see your other thread.
You’ll get a lot of different opinions. Some good, some bad and some just ridiculous!
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:44 PM   #31
Ventanakaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
My google search turned up nada about Pacifica!
I’m coastal too. About 400 yards to the Strait.
About 50 miles from Vancouver.
Good to see your other thread.
You’ll get a lot of different opinions. Some good, some bad and some just ridiculous!
...Well I think I'm in Pacifica, Unless this is the Twilight Zone LOL. I'm going over to that thread I created, I think I'm gonna do the engine swap as long as it doesn't get to expensive to have the engine swapped out, I usually do 99 percent of the work to my vehicles but I'll have to farm out the work, if I get charged to much i'll just drive it till the engine goes.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:14 AM   #32
Ventanakaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72K5CSTDarkOlive View Post
I wanted to share my experience with West Coast Engines (website:https://www.westcoastengines.com/)

They are essentially a middle man for this company: motor works (website - http://www.motorworksengines.com/ )

They are one of those mass production engine builders. Now, with any mass production engine builder, you're bound to get a bad apple here and there. I happen to be one of them.

I purchased the engine 3 years ago through Brady from West Coast engines. It was there stage 2 350.

My K5 took a lot longer to restore so the engine sat for 3 years. From what I've been told, an engine sitting wouldn't have any affect on the problems I had with this engine.

The motor has about 1500 miles so far. One day I started the truck and heard a loud knocking noise so I go ahead an pop the hood and noticed a big crack in my valve cover.

The rocker arm sheared right in half. I replaced the rocker arm and it did it again immediately.

This time, I call motor works directly and explain to them what is happening and that this is most likely incorrect springs. I also noticed the cylinder heads are Hecho en Mexico. They advertise that they use all "Made In USA" parts.

They then proceed to tell me the cylinder heads are out of warranty because it's been 3 years. They advertise 5 year / 50K miles, but come to find out, that is only for the block. The heads are warranty for 3 years.

I decided to pull the motor and replace the heads for some aluminum heads and upgrade the camshaft to match the new heads.

Once we pulled the camshaft out we noticed sever damage to the lobes and the cam bearing showed signs of excessive wear.

Other findings we noticed including the following:
1. Detonation
2. Head Gasket leak
3. We found a piece of something sitting inside the water jacket (must have fallen in during the build.
4. Overall poor machine work was done.
5. timing chain showed signs of wear.

I sent pictures to Motorworks and they reviewed everything and told me the following:

1. Detonation was most likely a carb issue.
2. No explanation for the piece found inside water jacket
3. the line/marking in the cylinder bore is normal
4. Timing chain marks are normal.
5. cam bearing is normal to look like it does.
6. Camshaft - they said they are not sure why it got damaged.

They offer to give me a new camshaft and gaskets to put it back together. No offer for the labor it is going to cost me.

Bottom line, I do not trust this motor to go back in my truck and I refuse to slap a bandaid on it. I will NEVER buy a motor from the internet ever again. I'm using a local shop to build my next motor.

Anyways, I just thought I would share with everyone my experience with West Coast Engines
...So some time has gone by, Has anything been resolved with your engine, Did West Coast Engines repair ? This was one of the company's I was considering until I seen the complaints online, It would be good to know if they did anything with your engine ?