The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2017, 01:09 PM   #1
Scott71

71 Jimmy

Hi guys, new to the site! I'm thinking of buying a 71 jimmy from a friend of a friend. It's in decent condition, with the usual rust in a few places (I'm like most, hate rust). I've always wanted a 71/72 jimmy or K5.

I'm a diehard Ford guy and don't know much about the jimmy's/K5's. I have a few old Ford trucks and Bronco's and I'm pretty much an "all original" type guy. I've done a few total resto jobs and the plan for this jimmy "if" I buy it, would be to drive it for a while then start doing a few things along the way.

The paint is "supposedly" 95% original. It has some later model seats, which I would want to change back to the originals at some point. It needs the rear cargo floor pan replaced, the door corners have been bondo'ed (inside). The front floor boards are solid but will probably need rockers. The frame is in great shape as is the driveline and components. Runs and drives good. Mechanically very sound. The top is in great shape also.

So, my question (for now), are there places to buy replacement panels and such with good quality OEM type of material?

Thanks fellas!!
Scott71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:35 PM   #2
truckster

Re: 71 Jimmy

You can find the original seats, but they're going to be expensive. I'm not aware of anyone who makes the rear floor pan, but you can cut down and modify a pickup bed floor. The doors are modified pickup truck doors, so that's not going to be a problem, and the rockers are the same as the pickups and are also available.

And welcome to the board. You're going to love your Jimmy.

Last edited by truckster; 12-12-2017 at 10:24 PM.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:20 PM   #3
briank

Be sure to check the rocker boxes as well. How much of the bed floor needs to be replaced? I just cut out a large section of a parts vehicle and pieced in the pieces as needed so I could line up everything just right. If you need rockers , plan on inners as well and possibly b pillars etc. You're lucky on the floors as usually if they're bad then the floor supports are bad...pia. Got pictures??
briank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:09 AM   #4
Scott71

Thanks truckster! After doing some searching, I have found a few places that carry the rear floor replacements, as well as the rockers. Just not sure of the quality!? I haven't pulled the trigger yet, still trying to decide if I want to buy it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
You can find the original seats, but they're going to be expensive. I'm not aware of anyone who makes the rear floor pan, but you can cut down and modify a pickup bed floor. The doors are modified pickup truck doors, so that's not going to be a problem, and the rockers are the same as the pickups and are also available.

And welcome to the board. You're going to love your Jimmy.

The right rear section approx 24"x 20" needs replaced. The rest of the floor looks solid. Funny how this one has rust in certain area's and not in others around them. I don't have any pics yet, still trying to decide if I'm going to buy it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by briank View Post
Be sure to check the rocker boxes as well. How much of the bed floor needs to be replaced? I just cut out a large section of a parts vehicle and pieced in the pieces as needed so I could line up everything just right. If you need rockers , plan on inners as well and possibly b pillars etc. You're lucky on the floors as usually if they're bad then the floor supports are bad...pia. Got pictures??
Scott71 is offline   Reply With Quote