The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-22-2017, 11:53 PM   #1
droberts12

1989 Western Hauler

I just joined and havent gotten the hang of this yet. I have been to this site before because i have been looking for a Western Hauler to buy for the last 15 years, so i would google and this site had the best photos.

Back in the late 80's early 90's my father worked for a guy that had a beautiful western hauler. I loved that truck. I was in like 8th grade, but it was the start of my love for the square body chevys. So i have been looking for one that I could purchase. Over the years i have found some, but never really finding the one that just jumped out. That all changed about two months ago.

While searching Craigslist as i do several times a week, i found the one. Not just any one but the exact same one. It almost brought a tear to my eye when i saw it in that condition. It had been sitting under a tree for the last 10 years rotting away. I knew i just had to have it. I called the guy and I was trying not to sound to excited, hoping to save a little money, but i think he knew i was going to make this truck mine. I went the following weekend and picked it up. It was weird sitting in the same truck i sat in 26 years prior, and it just tore me up seeing in that condition. We loaded it up on a trailer and drove it home. Now i am in unfamilar territory.

I have never done any kind of mechanic work. I change my oil, change a flat tire, water pump, belts, alt, just pretty basic stuff. I am worried this beast is going to be a huge project. I am regular guy with a regular job, and i am wanting to fully restore this monster. Does anyone know about how much a job like this would cost? I am attaching photos, i hope, still learning how to navigate this page. I am from south texas around the corpus christi area, so if you know anyone let me know. Thanks
Attached Images

droberts12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:30 AM   #2
1968 baby blue C10

Re: 1989 Western Hauler

Hello, and welcome to the forum man. I am new as well and still getting the hang of things. I am no where near qualified to help you on your estimated cost question. But I just had to comment because that is an awesome story. Plus I've never even seen one of those trucks before, that thing is incredible. Anyways, I wish you the best of luck man. Don't worry about it, you'll get it done. Just one step at a time.
"Too many people have opinions on things they know nothing about. And the more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have." -Thomas Hildern
1968 baby blue C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:25 AM   #3
droberts12

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I cant wait to get started on this, as soon as we get the title the work will begin. I will post pics of the progress once the work starts. I have already had an amazing time with this truck. It gets so much attention. I have had people stopping by the house wanting to see it, i cant wait to actually have it out on the road. We just went through Hurricane Harvey, and i was so worried about it sitting in my garage. I had a friend tell me that my wall had blew off, so i was sick to my stomach coming back home after, but thank God the truck was undamaged.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2017, 09:20 AM   #4
1968 baby blue C10

I'm excited to see your progress with this truck. I will definitely be subscribed to this thread. Were those a factory GM trucks or were they a conversion company thing? And Is it a gasoline or Diesel engine? I literally know nothing about them. I'm stunned that I've never seen one.
And wow man I just now realized that you are in Texas. All my family's prayers are with everyone down there. I'm really glad your truck was un damaged. It could've been terrible.
"Too many people have opinions on things they know nothing about. And the more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have." -Thomas Hildern
1968 baby blue C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:40 AM   #5
MidwesternTexan

Welcome to the Forum!
Pittsburg, TX here.
Been praying for Y’all on the Coast...

As far as fixing the truck, I would start by getting
a “journal” started, taking pictures of the mechanicals,
Spend a day just cleaning everything real well.

Be patient and allow yourself plenty of time
to get that beautiful rig back on the road!

And above all else, NEVER throw anything away.
Oh, and visit here often, please!
The ladies and gents here ReaLLLLLy “Know” vehicles
MidwesternTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:30 PM   #6
AussieinNC

Welcome to the forum..you are among friends...

First up, double check the VIN on the title is the same as the VIN on the truck...I believe the door plate is on drivers door rear pillar...

Is there a SPID on the glovebox lid....its usually a factory label that lists the factory options the original build was from the factory.

Golden rule number 1....never throw away anything...you will need something sometime...

Is this a diesel ?

Dont post your VIN on the open forum...you can run a vin check yourself using google to find some lists...or go to LMCtruck.com and enter the year and model etc of the truck...their parts manual will display that has on its first few pages, lists of all the build numbers and options etc...

Again, welcome...you can always PM members if you like...

Glad Harvey didnt cause too much damage.

aussie, aussie, aussie....
AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:15 PM   #7
droberts12

Thanks for the warm welcome, and the great advice. I would have been throwing things away, so thanks for letting me know that. I will also check the vin numbers. No it is not a diesel, it has a 7.4 454. Yes i know the gas mileage is gonna be like 5 mpg. Its got the two tanks and a 90 gallon in the bed. It will cost a small fortune to drive but it will be so worth it. Thanks again for the advice, you guys are the best.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:38 AM   #8
droberts12

So i did a carfax on the truck i bought and i found out back in 2005 the truck was registered in a flood zone. Not a big deal right? But the fact it was never registered after that and it was sitting there for 10 years really makes me think it did get flooded. When i bought the truck it was very moist inside. I just thought it was from the top leaking in but now i am kind of thinking that is not the case. If it was flooded wouldnt he have to tell me. I did ask him and he said no. If it was flooded and it has been sitting there for 12 years and not the 10 he said, would the engine and trans be usable? If it does need to be replaced should i go back with a 454 or would a 350 be better? I do not plan on pulling anything big and i was wondering if gas mileage would be a lot better with a 350 vs the 454 it has now. I have not had any work done to it yet because he is giving me the run around with the title.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #9
dozerbill72

Pull the dip sticks on the engine and tranny and check for signs of water. You could pull drain plugs as well and see what comes out. If the engine turns over by hand it will run. Stay on him about the title, the longer it goes on the less recourse you have for getting your money back. The carfax thing and the run around make me think there is not a usable title for it. Good luck.
dozerbill72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:57 PM   #10
droberts12

Finally. After four months I got the title, so now the work begins. Now I am starting to feel overwhelmed. I dont know where to start or who to trust to help with the work. Guess I will learn.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:54 AM   #11
CG
BlahBlahBlah

That is one big truck. You have a cool story with it. I don't know jack about your year but if you start a new thread in the correct area for your truck there are a ton of guys that know a lot. Click the link I posted for you and you are off to the races.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/f...splay.php?f=12

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:49 AM   #12
droberts12

thanks for the advise. I will do that.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:51 AM   #13
Advanced Design

Have fun with your truck! There are many knowledgeable and helpful people here, so having a build thread can be a good idea.

A good plan is to have a goal for what you want. Keeping it simple....running and safely driving...will help avoid getting too overwhelmed. Start with a general clean up and evaluation of the truck, figure out what is needed, ask questions, do research and move toward your goal.

I love these bigger trucks and wanted a crew cab dually for a long time. Here is my 1988 San Kar conversion I bought from the original owner.
Attached Images

Last edited by Advanced Design; 12-22-2017 at 05:57 AM.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:54 PM   #14
droberts12

Thanks for the advise Doug. I love these truck, and can not wait to get it out on the road again. Yours is super nice, does it have the 454? Whats your gas mileage? I am going to start a build thread when i get ready to start the work. I hope some time in late Jan or early Feb. How long have you had your truck? And how often do you drive it.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:28 AM   #15
Advanced Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by droberts12 View Post
Thanks for the advise Doug. I love these truck, and can not wait to get it out on the road again. Yours is super nice, does it have the 454? Whats your gas mileage? I am going to start a build thread when i get ready to start the work. I hope some time in late Jan or early Feb. How long have you had your truck? And how often do you drive it.
Thank you, yes this truck has the 454. I've never checked mpg though it isn't very good. Usually I use it when I need to tow or haul something and the weather is nice. Mostly it sits right there in the heated shop. Last year I put about 400 miles on it, currently sitting at 93k miles. We've owned this one about 17 years, purchased as I mentioned from the original owner. He bought it new when he lived in Las Vegas and used it week ends to haul his horses to events. Mostly it sat in his garage...so the truck is clean and rust free.

Good luck with yours. Have fun, ask questions and get that one back on the road.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:09 AM   #16
Richard2112

Nice truck. And a heartwarming story. You're certainly in the right place for truck building advice. These folks know their stuff well. Welcome.

My thoughts on your build would be to not let the total cost deter you if this is what you want. I'd bet that many, if not most folks who have done this type of thing have long ago thrown the budget sheet out the window on at least one project.

The above advise is sound. Give it a good cleaning. Check/change fluids. Get her running. Put the rear axle on stands and turn the tires over. You can get a feel for the rear gears and trans without getting stranded that way.

If you plan on a frame off restoration, keep in mind that it will take lots of space. If not, divide your tasks into segments. Do the things that make it run and drive dependably first. Then go with cosmetics.

Why does you post count read "0"?
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 05:56 PM   #17
69CST4x4SWB

Location: Oregon, The Beautiful Pacific Northwest (GOD'S country)
Thumbs up Re: 1989 Western Hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard2112 View Post
Nice truck. And a heartwarming story.

Why does you post count read "0"?
My thoughts as well and NICE RIG!! Make sure to post a link to your build in this thread once you start it and welcome!!
1972 GMC 1500 Sierra Grande (Orange Creamsicle) Sold
1979 Chevy C/30 Cheyenne Flatbed Dually (FatBoy) Sold
1991 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab (LowBoy) Sold
2008 Harley Davidson Electra Glide (Black Betty)
Mark ~ US ARMY VETERAN 2nd ARMORED DIVISION 67th ARMOR
69CST4x4SWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 06:20 PM   #18
69CST4x4SWB

Thumbs up Re: 1989 Western Hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Thank you, yes this truck has the 454. I've never checked mpg though it isn't very good. .
When I had my '79 C/30 dually with a 7'x12' steel flatbed, automatic with 456 gears in the rear, it didn't matter if I babied it hauling nothin at all or had it fully loaded or pulling my tandem axle trailer with a HEAVY 1966 Cadillac Sedan DeVille on it going down the freeway I got a consistent 7 MPG. Ran like a champ though with tons of power!!
Old 12-24-2017, 08:14 AM   #19
Advanced Design

His post count is zero probably because posting in the welcome section doesn't increase post count and he hasn't posted in the other sections of the forum.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:23 AM   #20
SKT

Any updates!?!

SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:21 AM   #21
69CST4x4SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKT View Post

Any updates!?!

X2? Whats up with this?