The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2017, 06:28 PM   #1
DBear

Add a Leafs Pics and Info

hey guys...anyone running a set of skyjacker add a leafs on the K5? Does anyone know what kind of lift they provide? thanks in advance.
DBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:11 PM   #2
praisegeetarman

Re: Add a Leafs Pics and Info

I put them on my 71. Raised it roughly 2" in the front and 2 1/2" in the rear. They recommend leaving both stock front leafs, but I pulled the lower one when I added the new leaf. If you want to see a pic, go to my profile.

Keith

Keith Riel
praisegeetarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:05 AM   #3
DBear

Hey Keith, thanks for the reply...and thanks for sending me the pic as well. Are yours Skyjacker leafs? Same leaf works on front and rear? And if you leave both stock leafs in the front, would it give more lift than if you removed one like on your blazer? Hope your doing well bud.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:49 PM   #4
praisegeetarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBear View Post
Hey Keith, thanks for the reply...and thanks for sending me the pic as well. Are yours Skyjacker leafs? Same leaf works on front and rear? And if you leave both stock leafs in the front, would it give more lift than if you removed one like on your blazer? Hope your doing well bud.
Yes, they were skyjacker, and the front and rear leafs were different. There are two reasons I removed the stock second front leaf. First, so I wouldn't have to cut off the welded on guard around the front spring perch on one side (I think it is on the drivers side..... doesn't leave enough room for 3 springs). The other reason is so that I wouldn't have to remove the spring pack clamp that was riveted on the spring that I removed. I don't think leaving it in would create more lift, since it is a fairly flat spring when not compressed. Skyjack did say not to remove it, but I did anyway. I really don't think it creates any issues with it gone and could possibly produce a little smoother ride. If you plan to do any extreme off roading you might want to leave it it, but I didn't plan to. One other thing I did do when I added the leafs was to install a front sway bar. After the project was done the blazer was much more stable going down the road. Since both things were done at the same time, I cannot say which was the reason for the improvement.

Keith

Keith Riel
praisegeetarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:14 PM   #5
DBear

That's some great info Keith...I am tore between doing add a leafs or maybe splurging for a set of Alcan Springs. Maybe a 2.5-3" lift...but I do like the way your K5 sits though. Thanks again for the info bud.