The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2017, 11:50 AM   #326
Northern 52

Re: "Albert" -- 1949 AD, S10 Chassis

Since my plan is to put the gas tank behind the rear axle, how close to the S10 frame can the cab be mounted? Are there clearance or other issues to deal with when mounting the front end if the cab was 1 inch or so from the frame? I know the transmission hump will have to be higher. Just looking for lowering options and I am not too concerned with a shallower box in the back.

Thanks
Northern 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #327
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern 52 View Post
Since my plan is to put the gas tank behind the rear axle, how close to the S10 frame can the cab be mounted? Are there clearance or other issues to deal with when mounting the front end if the cab was 1 inch or so from the frame? I know the transmission hump will have to be higher. Just looking for lowering options and I am not too concerned with a shallower box in the back.

Thanks
I think JoeDoh had responded to this post in another thread for you. I'll reiterate what he said. I tried to go as low as I could and found the radiator core support was the biggest issue. I could probably go another 2" lower which would be 3" gap between the top of the frame and the bottom of the cab.

At 5" between frame and cab, I had a small transmission tunnel to contend with along with modifications to the rear bed. Two inches lower, I would have to tunnel the entire cab to clear the driveshaft which would also mean cutting up the seat mount. When mounting, the cab wasn't the deciding factor for height, it was actually the radiator and front fenders. If the radiator and cab don't line up, you'll end up with odd gaps in the front fenders where they mount to the front grill, where they mount to the cab, and in trying to line the fenders up on the wheel well.

I am now sitting at a ride height I like quite a lot. A 2" drop spindle and 28" diameter tires, I'm looking at sitting about 6-8" off the ground. I can go measure tonight when I'm in the garage.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 05:49 PM   #328
Northern 52

Sorry about the double post as I got lost on the site for a while. This is terrific information to work with. I think I will go with the proven mount plans Hussey posted with the new urethane mount bushings I picked up.

I would definitely like to get your final height measurements.

Nice looking wheels by the way, even if the spacers are required.

The current plan is to be on the road late next summer if all goes well.
Northern 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:55 PM   #329
gigamanx

I'll keep editing this graphic as I get parts together. But here are all my measurements including the cab mount. This is without drop spindles or blocks.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Old 12-09-2017, 11:01 PM   #330
lownslow63

To Hussey

Great thread and awesome truck. i am building a 1950 gmc on an s10 frame and this thread has been a great help. I do have a question about your brake pedal ergonomics. It seems the pedal is on the left side of the steering column. Does that make it seem like you are crossing your legs to stop and or does your foot hit the steering column? Or is your gas pedal and brake pedal mounted slightly to the left causing a slight twist in your lower back while driving? I only ask because i am building a daily driver and want it to be economic.
lownslow63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:39 AM   #331
HUSSEY

Yes, the arm of the brake pedal is on the left of the column but with the bend in the arm it puts the brake pedal under the column. The brake pedal is a little high in relationship to the gas pedal but that's just how it works out using the S10 bracket and pedal arm...not really an issue though. The gas pedal is about where you would expect it. There are some contraints with where the pedals can go but I thought I was able to get them to sit in a comfortable position with no ergonomic issues. I'm sitting at the airport heading out for a short work trip...I can grab a couple of pics looking head on at the pedals when I get back mid-week if you like.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #332
lownslow63

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSSEY View Post
Yes, the arm of the brake pedal is on the left of the column but with the bend in the arm it puts the brake pedal under the column. The brake pedal is a little high in relationship to the gas pedal but that's just how it works out using the S10 bracket and pedal arm...not really an issue though. The gas pedal is about where you would expect it. There are some contraints with where the pedals can go but I thought I was able to get them to sit in a comfortable position with no ergonomic issues. I'm sitting at the airport heading out for a short work trip...I can grab a couple of pics looking head on at the pedals when I get back mid-week if you like.

Yes any additional pictures would be appreciated. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-14-2017, 05:04 PM   #333
HUSSEY

Here's a couple pictures I grabbed.

Last edited by HUSSEY; 12-15-2017 at 11:55 AM.
HUSSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:16 PM   #334
JSavoie

Dunno why but I can't see any picture here.
JSavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:32 AM   #335
lownslow63

Quote:
Here's a couple pictures I grabbed.

Dido can’t see the pics. I did however look at my s10 donor and noticed the small bend at the bottom of the pedal. That should help with the placement.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2017, 11:57 AM   #336
HUSSEY

Hopefully you can see them now.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:08 PM   #337
joedoh

looks great man! hows the truck coming or are you "done" (never done haha)

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:42 PM   #338
OutlawDrifter

I love the "Moon" pedals

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:10 PM   #339
gigamanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by lownslow63 View Post
To Hussey

Great thread and awesome truck. i am building a 1950 gmc on an s10 frame and this thread has been a great help. I do have a question about your brake pedal ergonomics. It seems the pedal is on the left side of the steering column. Does that make it seem like you are crossing your legs to stop and or does your foot hit the steering column? Or is your gas pedal and brake pedal mounted slightly to the left causing a slight twist in your lower back while driving? I only ask because i am building a daily driver and want it to be economic.
My pedals ended up in almost exactly that position. I would like my accelerator to be an inch further to the right and a bit lower which I think Hussey's is based on where I see his throttle cable goes through. My cab is not nearly as neat and tidy though haha

Old 12-15-2017, 09:54 PM   #340
lownslow63

Quote:
Hopefully you can see them now.
I see them. Thanks for fixing that. I have read through your build a few times now and haven’t seen anything about the steering linkage. I was wondering how well the s10 v8 swap headers worked with your steering. You mentioned earlier that you would of possibly tried some block hugger style headers. Any pictures and or words of experience would be awesome.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2017, 10:30 PM   #341
HUSSEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
looks great man! hows the truck coming or are you "done" (never done haha)
Nope, never going to be really done but I'd say I reached my satisfied done point for now. I haven't posted much about it in the past year since most of the stuff has been little odds and ends like seat belts, stereo, antennas, and getting the bed wood in. I did get some in progress pics of the bed but never showed the final results, I'll have to get some pics uploaded.

I've found that the most fun I had with it was during the building stage. I do drive it but honestly not enough. About the only time I get out in it is driving to work when I don't have to drop off or pick up my kids. My six year old daughter loves going for rides in it, in summer time we'd go up to Quick Trip, grab and ice cream cone, and sit on the tail gate.

I'd really like to get a 53 or 54 Chevy two door to build so I could take the family out more, the truck just really doesn't allow for that. I found a nice 53 in Missouri and I'm tempted to get it but I've just got too many other things going on. When my oldest daughter hits about 10 though I do want to find a mild project so I can get her in the garage and start teaching her how to turn wrenches. She already likes going out to the garage with me but I think she needs to be just a bit older to work on such a project.

I did happen to drive it to work today and grabbed this shot on the way out...

Old 12-15-2017, 10:36 PM   #342
joedoh

neat man, I always say kids are great because YOU grow up right before THEIR eyes. sounds like you have some fun with them!

Quote:
I've found that the most fun I had with it was during the building stage.

yeah, me too. I am a contract engineer so most of my life is solving problems, banging around on old steel, making stuff fit and different systems work together is just the most fun a guy could have.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:39 PM   #343
JSavoie

I'm a little late but yes, now I can see the pics. Thank you HUSSEY.
JSavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:22 PM   #344
Cuttin up

So, how did the no prop valve in the braking system workout?
Old 12-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #345
HUSSEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttin up View Post
So, how did the no prop valve in the braking system workout?
Worked fine, no problems on hard stops. With a disk/disk setup I don't think a proportioning valve is as critical as with disk/drums...sure you've seen it but I posted a great article I found previously here:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=710975

My only compliant with my brakes system is that the pedal is a little bit too light. I used a dual diaphragm 8 in. booster. I've thought about switching to either a single diaphragm 9 or 10 in. or a dual diaphragm 7 in. booster to get a little more feedback in the pedal.

Last edited by HUSSEY; 12-18-2017 at 05:46 PM.
HUSSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #346
Cuttin up

Quote:
Worked fine, no problems on hard stops. With a disk/disk setup I don't think a proportioning valve is as critical as with disk/drums...sure you've seen it but I posted a great article I found previously here:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=710975

My only compliant with my brakes system is that the pedal is a little bit too light. I used a dual diaphragm 8 in. booster. I've thought about switching to either a single diaphragm 9 or 10 in. or a dual diaphragm 7 in. booster to get a little more feedback in the pedal.
Thanks for the info. Your truck turned out awesome. Hopefully I can get my garbage together soon, the honey do list is getting a bit smaller.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:08 PM   #347
madcass

Hussey, I would like to thank you for all the time you have put into posting your build. I am modeling my 50 build from your design and without your details I would be lost. I have my cab mounted and front sheet metal but I not clear on the running board mounts. Do you have measurements of the different parts of the bracket assembly?
madcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:30 PM   #348
HUSSEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcass View Post
Hussey, I would like to thank you for all the time you have put into posting your build. I am modeling my 50 build from your design and without your details I would be lost. I have my cab mounted and front sheet metal but I not clear on the running board mounts. Do you have measurements of the different parts of the bracket assembly?
Cool man, glad it's helped you. As far as the measurements, I really don't have any. I laid out the frame that the boards bolt to directly on the running boards. Then with the truck high on jacks, I lined the boards up with the truck by sitting them on milk crates and shimmed them as necessary. I then took a couple measurements to rough in the length of the horizontal bar and the vertical pieces that bolt to the frame, tacked them it together, marked and drilled holes in the frame, adjusted, then fully welded.

I would drill the holes a little oblong in the vertical pieces that attached to the frame to give you a little up and down adjustment.

If you follow this process I think it'll turn out better than going from dimension. Good luck!
Old 01-13-2018, 08:54 PM   #349
madcass

Quote:
Cool man, glad it's helped you. As far as the measurements, I really don't have any. I laid out the frame that the boards bolt to directly on the running boards. Then with the truck high on jacks, I lined the boards up with the truck by sitting them on milk crates and shimmed them as necessary. I then took a couple measurements to rough in the length of the horizontal bar and the vertical pieces that bolt to the frame, tacked them it together, marked and drilled holes in the frame, adjusted, then fully welded.

I would drill the holes a little oblong in the vertical pieces that attached to the frame to give you a little up and down adjustment.

If you follow this process I think it'll turn out better than going from dimension. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips. I have one more question about the angle iron you bolted on the inner bed sides, I see you have a picture showing a location measurement but I am not sure what is being referenced. My bedsides are new so the factory rails are there but I assume using those will make the bed sit high.
madcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #350
HUSSEY

You will have to remove the rails on your bed sides, they sit too high.

On the back end, the bottom of the angle was 1/2 in. from the edge of the bedside where the bed cross piece connects under the tail gate.

On the front end, the bottom of the angle intersected the loses bolt hole that the front bed panel bolts to.

Take a second look and the pics and I'm sure it'll be more clearer:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=144