The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #101
MMcMasters

Re: Introduction, nostalgia, and '68 build, oh my

I love the transformation

70 Med Olive build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=714804

Instagram- protouring66
MMcMasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #102
webberjames95

one of the better threads on this site
webberjames95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:02 AM   #103
hewittca

I finally got around to painting and mounting my original caps. At first, I had repainted my caps in the '67 red/white scheme, but after testing them with the white wheels I decided it was too much white. So, I stripped the caps again and repainted them in the original '68 black/argent silver scheme. I also tried to age them a bit so they don't look so new.

To mount the caps, I ended up using the MobSteel cap clips that I got from prsgtrman. I drilled/tapped the wheels to mount the clips. So far I have not lost a cap, but to be honest I'm not thrilled with how loose the cap seats. I've tried readjusting the clips but there's only so much spring tension you can get out of these before they just start bending. I also used a trick found on old VW caps and added a small hole to the cap and made a cap removal tool. With the ridge on the transit wheels, it makes it difficult to remove the cap without this tool.

After getting the caps mounted, I took the truck out for a test drive and a "truck party". All through winter, my son was talking about having a truck party, so with the freakishly warm weather, we loaded up all my son's trucks in the bed and found some dead end gravel road to play in.

At this point, I actually started doubting the transit wheel look. I'm not in love with how they look on the truck at the current ride height. I do plan on lowering it several more inches, but that's not going to happen for at least a year. So, I decided to throw on the spare original wheel I have and see if it was worth picking up an old set of 15x6s to mount until I can get the suspension where I want it.

Although I do really like the look of the 15x6 at this height, I decided to just save my $ and stick with the transits for now after doing yet another photoshop of my end goal (I should have included "photoshops" in my original title). I did, however, discover that I like the original argent silver wheel color over the white, so I plan on eventually repainting my wheels. This really should be the final look of my truck. Photoshopped here is the painted bed, argent silver wheels, and about ~3" more drop.

-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:30 PM   #104
Graham57a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewittca View Post
I finally got around to painting and mounting my original caps. At first, I had repainted my caps in the '67 red/white scheme, but after testing them with the white wheels I decided it was too much white. So, I stripped the caps again and repainted them in the original '68 black/argent silver scheme. I also tried to age them a bit so they don't look so new.

To mount the caps, I ended up using the MobSteel cap clips that I got from prsgtrman. I drilled/tapped the wheels to mount the clips. So far I have not lost a cap, but to be honest I'm not thrilled with how loose the cap seats. I've tried readjusting the clips but there's only so much spring tension you can get out of these before they just start bending. I also used a trick found on old VW caps and added a small hole to the cap and made a cap removal tool. With the ridge on the transit wheels, it makes it difficult to remove the cap without this tool.

After getting the caps mounted, I took the truck out for a test drive and a "truck party". All through winter, my son was talking about having a truck party, so with the freakishly warm weather, we loaded up all my son's trucks in the bed and found some dead end gravel road to play in.

At this point, I actually started doubting the transit wheel look. I'm not in love with how they look on the truck at the current ride height. I do plan on lowering it several more inches, but that's not going to happen for at least a year. So, I decided to throw on the spare original wheel I have and see if it was worth picking up an old set of 15x6s to mount until I can get the suspension where I want it.

Although I do really like the look of the 15x6 at this height, I decided to just save my $ and stick with the transits for now after doing yet another photoshop of my end goal (I should have included "photoshops" in my original title). I did, however, discover that I like the original argent silver wheel color over the white, so I plan on eventually repainting my wheels. This really should be the final look of my truck. Photoshopped here is the painted bed, argent silver wheels, and about ~3" more drop.

So killer good call on the silver caps, looks way better with the green. You're getting close man

1972 Chevy SWB Cheyenne Super JANE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=462072
1972 GMC Jimmy PENNY http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=735827
1968 GMC patina swb PEARL http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=731315
1972 Chevy K20 BRUCE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805788
1972 Chevy SWB Highlander OLIVE Build thread coming
Graham57a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:19 AM   #105
GR8-68

Looking good Corey, I also like the silver much better.

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
GR8-68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:36 PM   #106
rusty76

I agree. The silver looks better.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:40 AM   #107
hewittca

This past week I've been working on a few mundane tasks that needed to be done. My starter was going out so I replaced that. While I was under there with the starter out, I decided it was a good time to investigate my oil leak issue that I've been putting off. In the last week it was starting to get worse, so it was time. Turns out, the front two oil pan bolts were completely missing! After replacing those my truck no longer marks its territory. I was pleasantly surprised to find such a simple fix.

The other thing I did was replace the shocks and relocate the mounting positions. I used the typical KYB 344068 fronts and 344055 rears. The fronts only had 1" of travel left and the rears were leaned over more than 45 degrees so I knew I had to relocate them. For the fronts, I did not like the available relocation bracket so I made my own out of 1 3/4" square tube so that the shock is close to its original angle and travel range. For the rears, I was initially going to use the No Limits kit that puts the shocks outboard and behind the rearend, but after studying photos of the kit installed I realized that the geometry is fundamentally incorrect. Essentially, the shock does not pivot in the same plane as the trailing arm which puts a lot of stress on the mounting points. Several users have raved about how the kit "improves" stability, but what is really happening is the whole system is binding up as you go through your suspension travel. Anyway, I instead decided to use a modified version of lakeroadster's method (here) for the upper mounts, and SCOTI's method (here) for flipping the lower mounts. There was a significant improvement after doing this mod. The truck now handles as good, if not better, than it did stock (which is all I was looking for).

Since I had the wheels off while doing the shocks, I figured I might as well knock out repainting the wheels. I liked the white but it was a bit too bright for me and was difficult to take a good photo against the dark green. I ended up painting them "dull aluminum" by Plasti-kote which is a near identical match to the original argent silver color. So far, I'm pleased with the color.

I'm really trying to get this thing ready for the start of cruise in season. We have a couple excellent ones in my area and they are always a lot of fun to attend. The last time I actually brought a vehicle to one, though, was about 5 years ago when I had my Malibu. I'm looking forward to being able to bring the truck out this year.
-
Old 03-10-2017, 05:16 PM   #108
rusty76

You'll be ready in no time.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
Old 03-16-2017, 09:06 PM   #109
72 tigger

Nice project! Been about a year now- right?
72 tigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:30 AM   #110
GR8-68

I look forward to seeing it out and about

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
Old 03-19-2017, 08:14 PM   #111
hewittca

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 tigger View Post
Nice project! Been about a year now- right?
It sure has! One year exactly today, and I'm still loving it. Here's a comparison between how it looked the day I bought it compared to today.

For my own record, here's everything I've done in the first year:

-shortbed conversion
-2.5" stepped rear frame, 2.5" bed raise
-rebuilt drum brakes (new drums, wheel cylinders, shoes, brake lines, master cylinder)
-HEI distributor conversion, new wires/plugs
-new exhaust manifolds
-rebuilt stock carb, new fuel lines, fuel tank
-new starter, battery cables
-22x9 GM transit wheels

In the next year I hope to complete:

-paint bed sides
-drop spindles, front disk brake conversion
-4" drop HD rear springs plus 2" drop blocks
-new rear wheel studs plus 1/2" spacers
-
Old 03-19-2017, 08:51 PM   #112
rusty76

Truck is really looking awesome.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
Old 03-19-2017, 09:02 PM   #113
GR8-68

You bought it on my mothers b-day. Happy one year anniversary

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
Old 03-20-2017, 08:29 AM   #114
Bennett68C10

You should be proud, you got a lot done in a year and it shows on the truck.

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:09 PM   #115
Derek@AccuAir

Great job on this thing so far!

I'm in for the rest of the build!

My Build Thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=734098
Derek@AccuAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:38 AM   #116
hewittca

Thanks everyone! Most of you have builds that are way cooler than mine, I'm just trying to keep up!

It's been a few weeks since I've posted an update, and it will be a few weeks before I get a chance to do any more significant work to the truck, so I figured I'd post this update even though it's somewhat mundane.

Over the past three weeks I've been getting the bedsides ready for some paint. The sides were in overall great shape, except for some pitting on the bed rails from a camper top in their past life. Also, somewhere along the way, someone thought it would be cool to fill in the stake pockets and marker lights. Since I'm trying to make these look like they are original to the truck, I had to open those holes back up. Then it was on to "selective" repair. I know it seems ridiculous to pick and choose what I was going to fix and/or fill on the sides, but they couldn't be perfect or else they would not match the rest of the truck. Ultimately, I decided to fill all the pitting while leaving all the small dents and dings. After the sides are painted, I will go back and basically damage the new paint in those areas to make it look more authentic, instead of just a painted dent. I also have a plan to match the overall look and sheen of the new paint to the original paint, but I will save that process for the next update. I promise, it will look consistent when it's done and I'm sorry to any of you who prefer shiny new paint since what I'm doing is sacrilege.

I also ran into my first bit of trouble with the truck after one year of ownership. As you may recall from my original post, when I originally went to go look at and test drive the truck it was exactly what I wanted, except the radiator cracked while I was testing the truck and was leaking everywhere. Well, the owner JD was kind enough to put in a replacement for me right then and there and I was on my way. Well, that radiator finally decided to join the original in the scrap pile. I was on my way to our local dragstrip this past weekend and started smelling coolant, so I had to ditch that plan and head back home.

After searching around, I decided to try out a Spectra CU369 radiator. It's pretty much the only "direct fit" replacement radiator you can find these days at the parts stores. It's aluminum with plastic side tanks which I was hesitant about, but I was desperate enough to try it. If it doesn't work out, I will take it as a loss and find a brass/copper replacement. The only thing I don't like about it so far is that it's not really a "direct" replacement. The mounting brackets and rubber mounts need to be modified slightly to fit the frame of this radiator and the overall fitment is very snug, so hopefully there are no issues with vibrations. Anyway, now I get extra cool points for having an aluminum radiator right? I'm going to paint it black eventually... My daughter wanted to help by eating her snack and honking the horn at me while I worked.

My next update should include painted bedsides. That's it for now!
-
Old 04-04-2017, 09:19 PM   #117
rusty76

Fun with old trucks. Ain't it great.
My build thread
Crossmembers CC
Old 04-04-2017, 09:29 PM   #118
1stchevy

Just ran across your build thread, I've been following along on Instagram for a little while. Nice truck and nice work! I never realized I had so many cool trucks around my neck of the woods.
1stchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:33 PM   #119
GR8-68

Hello there another local in NC Corey does have a bad looking ride

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
Old 04-04-2017, 10:07 PM   #120
1stchevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8-68 View Post
Hello there another local in NC Corey does have a bad looking ride
Man you guys are pretty close to me, that's very cool! And yes he does!!
1stchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:36 PM   #121
hewittca

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stchevy View Post
Man you guys are pretty close to me, that's very cool! And yes he does!!
Thank you, thank you. We've been tossing around having a get together for the growing group of NC members here, but nothing official yet. There's always some of us at the local cruise ins too. Once I get my sides painted, I will be out at the Kannapolis and Kernersville cruise ins a few times.
-
Old 04-04-2017, 10:44 PM   #122
Woodnears

Sweet build, are those the original 68 caps? I've got 68 caps and transit wheels but can't for the life of me figure out these springs. What's the inside diameter measurement of your caps? Any details are appreciated
Old 04-05-2017, 08:11 AM   #123
hewittca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodnears View Post
Sweet build, are those the original 68 caps? I've got 68 caps and transit wheels but can't for the life of me figure out these springs. What's the inside diameter measurement of your caps? Any details are appreciated
Yes, my caps are the stock '68 caps. I believe they are either 10" or 10.5" inner diameter. When I mounted mine, I first put the cap on the wheel and traced around the outside of it. Then I took the cap off and mounted the clips so the grabbing edge stuck out just past the line I traced. The clips had to be tweaked a bit to fit the contour of the transit wheel. I used the Mobsteel clips and they really aren't that great. They don't provide enough spring tension before they just start bending. I already had one cap fly off. There is a guy on Instagram (struggle55) who makes some nice clips but they are pricey ($90 for a full set).

-
Old 04-06-2017, 01:41 AM   #124
preacher anthony

I read your post/thread today. I really enjoyed it. I come to Winston quite often, my granddaughter lives there. I go to see her plays sports, sometimes once a week. May try to contact you when I'm there and have some time. I may try to locate a long bed myself and duplicate what you have done.
preacher anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:19 AM   #125
hewittca

Quote:
Originally Posted by preacher anthony View Post
I read your post/thread today. I really enjoyed it. I come to Winston quite often, my granddaughter lives there. I go to see her plays sports, sometimes once a week. May try to contact you when I'm there and have some time. I may try to locate a long bed myself and duplicate what you have done.
For sure! I went to school and now work in Winston, and live in Advance which is about 10 miles SW of Winston. I'll PM you my number.
-