The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2017, 07:14 PM   #1
KiwiChev

Traveling to the States

Hi guys,

I have acouple of questions about buy and driving a vehicle in the US.

I'm traveling to the States again in 2018 for Speed-week at Bonneville and thought this time instead of renting a car like we did last time, we would like to buy (in particular a Chevy truck) and drive to Bonneville and around the western side of the states for the rest of our holiday and possibly ship the vehicle home. (shipping side of it is all under control)

My questions are what do I need in to make sure i have in line legally. When we rented a car our insurance was covered under our travel insurance which I will find out if we need anything else for that.

But what about registration? What do I do about changing the vehicle into my name after its been purchased? Also what does it mean when you see a vehicle for sale that is on a salvage title?

If someone could explain Step by Step how the buying process goes that would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance Craig
KiwiChev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:52 AM   #2
68bowtie

Re: Traveling to the States

Well first of all, that sounds like a fun trip! Sounds like memories will be made for sure.

I don't have answers to all your questions but I'll try and help the best I can. At least how it works for us that live here...

To DRIVE a car in the states you need a valid drivers license and insurance. Drivers licenses are issued by the State where you live. They are valid when you drive to another state. I'm not sure if there are special licenses for foreign visitors, or where you would get it. Insurance is normally through a company of your choice, but it sounds like you can get that through your travel insurance.

When you BUY a vehicle, the seller will sign the title and give the original paper copy to you. It's also called a "pink" due to the color. It also helps to have (and you may need) a bill of sale. You take the signed title to the State where you live and they charge you taxes and registration fees and transfer the vehicle into your name. In your case you probably need to deal with your own country requirements of how to get the vehicle back home, and I would imagine you would definitely want a bill of sale. Don't quote me on it but I don't know that you would need to register the vehicle to drive it as long as the registration from the previous owner is still current (not expired). Make sure everything is signed by the individual that is named on the title (not always the case). If the vehicle is on non-operation (non-op) it needs to be registered before you can drive it on the road. That's common for older vehicles parked long term, since the registration fee is much cheaper for vehicles in storage.

Salvage titles are due to history of damage like accident or flooding. They are less valuable than an equivalent vehicle with a clean title. It's possible they have been repaired properly, but there is risk it wasn't.

You might try a google search to get more accurate info on your specific situation.

Hope that helps!

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 07:10 PM   #3
KiwiChev

Awesome thanks for the reply,

Ok, so will I still be able to change the title into my name with not having a USA address?

Ill do abit more searching..

Thanks for your help

Craig
KiwiChev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:44 PM   #4
Jered1987

https://www.google.com/amp/s/content...ing-one-262892
Jered1987 is offline   Reply With Quote