The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
FritzA

77 C20 Big Brown Box

Hi All,

I bought my project a while ago but now I'm getting started on it. This first post is just an introduction to the truck. It's a 77 C20. Not fancy or loaded but it has what I wanted. The purpose is to be a decent truck for hauling stuff and towing an old sports car I have out to the track. Sometimes it will be a daily driver when needed.

For background I grew up around cars....especially 60s and 70s Chevy's. I've had a 64 El Camino (my high school car, built BB and TH400, great car), 64 Chevy II SS (sold it for a nice profit before I did anything to it), 75 GMC 1/2 ton shortbed (totaled on the Los Angeles freeways); not to mention my dad's 70 C20 with a 454 and then his 73 crew cab C20 (not a dually) with a 454.

I'll explain my plans for it over the next couple posts.

Sorry the pics aren't the greatest. Shutter on camera was not opening all the way and the bright Colorado sun was really shining.

Fritz
Attached Images

FritzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
FritzA

Re: 77 C20 Big Brown Box

There are 2 reasons I bought this truck:

First, it was a cheap base with a lot of potential. I got it from a towing yard. The PO was arrested on a DUI, the police had it towed and the PO never came to pick it up. I was really looking for a basic 3/4 ton. This has Power Steering and AC but everything else is manual. 4 Speed. 14 bolt full floater is perfect for my towing needs.

Second, it is in decent condition, not great by any means. Well used is how I would classify it. Yes it has rust. The fornt fenders are swiss cheese (see pics). The inner fenders are good except for the small triangle support pieces (why doesn't someone make a replacement for those?). There are small rust spots behind the rear tires. The passenger cab corner has a little rust. The rockers and cab floors are clear of rust. A couple of minor dents but reasonably straight overall. Somewhere the original 350 had been pulled and a 250 L6 was put in. The radio is gone and the dash area roughly cut for a different radio but it has not been butchered up too much.

Here is the worst of it.
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #3
FritzA

Re: 77 C20 Big Brown Box

Here is the glovebox tag.

Power steering and AC.....the only real options and the only ones I want. It's not on the tag but it has a 14 bolt full-floater!!

Anyone have a picture of Cordova Brown when it is not 33 years old, weathered and worn to the metal?
Attached Images