The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #1
whealeandy

need some help here, with my paint color, and a ongoing issue with check engine light

hey guys im new to the forum, Iv been lurking around for ever and i cant really find what im looking for, Iv done tons of research and i still cant pinpoint the issue, i figured id ask your opinions on the color of my truck while im at it also. because i need some touch up paint and i dont want to mess around looking for the right color. I live a waaaayyys from a close paint store and auto parts store to just have them check.
my main issue is my truck's check engine light comes on when i drive a constant pace on the highway, seems to be about 55 when it will come on. If im hauling ass, and constantly changing speeds it doesnt come on.
my truck at times has a hard time starting, it will allmost act flooded, and when i get it to start it will make a huge cloud of white smoke that smells heavily like gas, some times its black smoke.
it doesnt burn oil, or let alone leak any fluids. It is a california emissions truck, so it says on the sticker in the glove box that also has the color codes on it.
i cant seem to figure it out, iv done tests on the egr valve (i think its called that) and it seems to work fine, when i depress the plunger on the back side it revvs up, like iv read its supposed too. is anything el's that could cause this?

it making me want to just drop a 350 with a carb on it and never look back, But id like to keep it original.

there isn't any emission laws here in florida, so i kinda of want to remove all of the emission crap that is on the 305 for California. I'm not exactly sure what can be removed and what shouldn't be.
the last c-20 i owned just had a carb'd 350 in it, and i never had these issues with my old truck

as for the paint from what iv read the paint code is on the sticker in the glove box, it says 62c.
and also says saddle tan on the sticker.. iv looked at both and i cant really decipher between the two, my truck is a metallic color, and from what iv seen online the pictures arn't very detailed. they don't look metallic at all for saddle tan, the closest one iv seen was like metallic chestnut or something like that, but it was of a 70's Corvette i believe

heres my 86 c10 it was shipped here from vegas, and i managed to get a steal off an older lady for it. i still cant believe the condition its in, specially for the price i got it for.
Name:  IMG_20140402_081318328.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  45.5 KB
whealeandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #2
rudey737

Re: need some help here, with my paint color, and a ongoing issue with check engine l

I can't help with the engine issue, but I think the 62C code you're looking at is for your interior. If you look up RPO codes online, the 62C comes up as, "Trim Combination, Cloth, Lt. Saddle"

I'm pretty sure I found my paint code on the sticker in the engine bay. That's for my 84. I think the stickers had different information depending on the years. Keith Seymore should be able to help you out with the paint code.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:57 AM   #3
whealeandy

Re: need some help here, with my paint color, and a ongoing issue with check engine l

OK cool I'll check it out thanks
Old 04-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
Squareforceone

more pics ?
Old 04-07-2014, 05:51 AM   #5
whealeandy

Name:  IMG_20140402_081419087.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  23.8 KB

This is the best pic of the color I can get.

I have another question also, recently there's been this rotating squeeky noise coming from under the cab, or possibly in the dash area.
My first thought was wheel bearings so I changed all four up front. Its still there. So I changed the brake pads still there, then I bought new brake rotors.. And its still there!! I cant seem to figure it out. It doesn't get faster when I rev the engine, and its there weather its in drive or nutrual coasting. Its seemingly getting worst. Can anyone think of what could cause this.. I need to get another jack stand so I can jack it up and toss it in drive and crawl under to find it.. Its defanatly a sound of a bearing at the end of its life.. Has anyone had this issue before?
Old 04-07-2014, 06:15 AM   #6
Prong

It may be a carrier bearing (if you have a 2 piece driveshaft) making the noise.
Prong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:23 AM   #7
whealeandy

I'll check that out, I'll spray it with some lube and see if there's any changes in the pitch of the noise.
I'm also thinking possibly the speedo cable.. I'll disconnect that from the trans also see if there's any difference.

Thanks for the responce
Old 04-07-2014, 07:07 AM   #8
cleansquare
Account Suspended

I can't think of anything it could be other than wheel bearings, carrier bearing, or rear end area. But I bet its a belt.

You said it is carbd? You may have issues with it causing your flooding.

As far as emissions, take out the A.I.R. pump, should be in front of fuel pump if the fuel pump is mou ted on block, and get a belt designed to run without it. Then take out the air lines off the manifolds and plug holes with 1/4" plugs from hardware store. You can even remove egr and put a plate and gasket over it
cleansquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:26 AM   #9
Keith Seymore

Welcome -

Relative to the paint color - did you find another code on the glovebox sticker? Should be something like "67U" ("U" means "upper", or primary. For two tones there would be an "L" for lower or secondary color as well).

Meanwhile, here is some reading material. This packet will show all of the available option content on an '86 Chevy pickup (including interior/exterior colors):

http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/docs...olet-Truck.pdf

I see a code 67 Nevada Gold that might be a good start.

This link will take you to some color chips to compare to:

http://autocolorlibrary.com/

If you are really desperate to know for sure, you can send $50 and your VIN to the GM Heritage Center and they will give you the original invoice for your specific truck, which will include the exact option content (and pricing).

http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/?page=3

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:39 AM   #10
whealeandy

Thanks for the paint info. I think I figured out the color I ordered a can weel see in a few days if its right.

I'm not 100% sure what's going on on the top of my 305 here's a few pics from under the hood its a Rochester from what I can tell.
Name:  IMG_20140407_073410274.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  49.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20140407_073348164.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  114.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20140407_073429674.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  50.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20140407_073322208.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  54.8 KB

There's a lot of **** going on under the hood.. More than I could ever think is needed on an older motor like this. Let alone trying to work on it or clean it with the 20,000 vaccume lines and wires going every where.

Last edited by whealeandy; 04-07-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #11
whealeandy

Well the squeeling noise was coming from the speedo cable. Hard to believe a speedo cable can sound like a squeeling bearing haha
Old 04-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #12
rudey737

I similar noise up front. I've recently replaced all four bearings, pads, rotors, and calipers. The noise is still there. The cost and time of replacing these parts doesn't bother me. I just bought the truck and I didn't know how old most of those parts were.

The noise still being there bothers me. Did you replace the speedo cable and the noise went away, or is it just something that I can lubricate and get rid of?
Old 04-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #13
whealeandy

What I did to find the issue was unhook the speedo cable from the tranny it screws on the drivers side at the very back of the trans. This is a 700r4 though. I took it for a ride and the noise was gone. So I just unhooked the cable from the speedometer and sprayedquite a bit of liquid wrench silicone lube done the inside of the cable housing. The sound Is completely gone now
Old 04-07-2014, 05:52 PM   #14
cleansquare
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudey737 View Post
I similar noise up front. I've recently replaced all four bearings, pads, rotors, and calipers. The noise is still there. The cost and time of replacing these parts doesn't bother me. I just bought the truck and I didn't know how old most of those parts were.

The noise still being there bothers me. Did you replace the speedo cable and the noise went away, or is it just something that I can lubricate and get rid of?
Check belts as well as speedo cable
cleansquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #15
whealeandy

The paint color was saddle metallic. It arrived today. Its a perfect match thanks for the help so far guys