The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork > Detailing

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
chevymotocross

Black paint: How to avoid and remove clearcoat scratches?

Now I know why black vehicles require special care! Had my truck repainted gloss black over the summer. Since then, I have washed it quite alot, waxed it a few times. Still looks great for Maaco paint but in the sunlight, you can see lots of light scratches in the clearcoat.

I wash the truck with a clean glove type piece, always make sure it's free of any dirt or particles. I dry with a clean chamois. I use Turtle Wax Wash/Wax soap. I wax occasional with Mother's SynWax and remove with a clean terry cloth.

From what I understand, a polisher must be used to remove the light scratches? I would prefer doing this by hand versus a machine.

After the polish do I wax? I think the waxing is what is giving my truck the light scratches?
Old 02-23-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
Southcity

Re: Black paint: How to avoid and remove clearcoat scratches?

I have a black truck too - if you go the machine polish route - add a nice coat of high quality non-abrasive Carnuba wax after that to protect. I try to stay away from waxes that have any abrasives in them (mild or not). Since that is a fairly new paint job you should not need to use any waxes that have abrasives - these are the one that say they remove fine scratches and swirl marks etc. It's not that they don't work but again - that is a new paint job and you should not need to go that aggressive.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
chevymotocross

Thanks southcity..... and Duel is an awesome movie!
Old 02-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
Southcity

glad to hear you're a fan of Duel - how bout some pics of your ride?
Old 02-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #5
chevymotocross

Old 02-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
Southcity

really nice truck - clean, love the stance and the wheels. It looks like there are lights behind the grill - did you do something custom?
Old 02-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymotocross View Post
Now I know why black vehicles require special care! Had my truck repainted gloss black over the summer. Since then, I have washed it quite alot, waxed it a few times. Still looks great for Maaco paint but in the sunlight, you can see lots of light scratches in the clearcoat.

I wash the truck with a clean glove type piece, always make sure it's free of any dirt or particles. I dry with a clean chamois. I use Turtle Wax Wash/Wax soap. I wax occasional with Mother's SynWax and remove with a clean terry cloth.

From what I understand, a polisher must be used to remove the light scratches? I would prefer doing this by hand versus a machine.

After the polish do I wax? I think the waxing is what is giving my truck the light scratches?
I have been driving black vehicles for many years. there are tricks to limiting the number of scratches in them. ALl paint has scratches, but black shows it more than others.

A rotary buffer is the best way to remove scratches in paint. You want one that has the capability to put on a large 9" pad and also the ca pability to rotate in slow speeds. I use the 3M Super Buff pads on my Makita buffer. I still use 3M "Finnessee-It" for my buffing compound, but the "Perfect-It" will work also. It just takes a little different approach to use it. (CAUTION, DO NOT overdo the buffing and handle the buffer lightly or you will rub through the paint) After buffing with a buffer you can put on a good sealant for the paint to keep dirt from filling the paint pores. I use a material from a company called Wizards, that does a really great job. Once the paint is clean and sealed, the keep it clean with a detail spray (once again mine comes from Wizards, because it beats Mequiars hands down)

When I wash the truck, I do not use a chamois to dry with, unless I have no choice. The leather tends to scratch the paint more than I like. I use really soft towels and I keep them out of any dirt. The picture attached is an old one, but that shine is still on my truck today.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
Dustytrix

Clean --- truck thanks for the info
Dustytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I presently drive a new black truck daily. I worked over the factory paint before I put it on the road with the same materials that I use on my 84. This stuff keeps the paint clean and it is easy to clean up after a snow storm or rain. Check out the "Shinemaster" and the Mist-N-Shine" products in the following website. I thought it was goofy when I first tried it, but as I said before, this stuff kicks Mequiars bottle every time.

http://www.wizardsproducts.com/store...us&mode=update
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #10
2ndstoryslam

If you are satisfied withthe polishing step. Put 3 coats (1 each night) of Wizards sealant. Allow each coat a full day to set. It really blows away wax. Too bad you are so far away, I could foam pad that ride to brilliant shine for low dollar cost.
2ndstoryslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #11
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Great info guys.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote