The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2018, 11:52 PM   #1
Isaiah92260

1961 straight 6 235 question

I went to go look at a 1961 today and I really liked it. But was worried about the motor. The owner promised to get running, I heading turn over, we both believe it has a bad fuel filter. But I noticed something that I was not familiar with. I did not see any kind of Oil Filter anywhere. I believe this older 235Â’s has a oil canister that was mounted onto the manifold correct? I did my own research and I guess back then you could run these motors without any real filtering but it was still recxomned? I read on the stove bolt forum about a guy who plugged his engine temporarily while it was a daily driver. Anyways I was wondering if I could still get back when the truck runs when I park it while I find a filter to instal. Thank
Isaiah
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:28 PM   #2
Jim Boy

Smile Re: 1961 straight 6 235 question

all kinds of 6's out there without an oil filter. Just change the oil more often. Pull the dip stick and smell the oil. If burnt smell change it or if real thick and gooey other wise start it and go. You will have a hard time killing that engine. Personally I think the filters are ugly and I have taken all the ones I have had off the engine. Your in the engine bay tinkering all the time so whats a few litres of oil. Have a good one.
Jim Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:20 AM   #3
Isaiah92260

Re: 1961 straight 6 235 question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Boy View Post
all kinds of 6's out there without an oil filter. Just change the oil more often. Pull the dip stick and smell the oil. If burnt smell change it or if real thick and gooey other wise start it and go. You will have a hard time killing that engine. Personally I think the filters are ugly and I have taken all the ones I have had off the engine. Your in the engine bay tinkering all the time so whats a few litres of oil. Have a good one.
Thank you, I will make sure I will be ontop of the oil changes on this motor.
You wouldn’t happen to know anything about the head leaking on these things would you? I saw yesterday that there is a small amount of the green coolant leaking on the side of the block where the head meets the block, I re tourqed the head bolts, didn’t tighten much, I’m hoping that fixes the issue
Isaiah92260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:39 AM   #4
geezer#99

Where exactly is the leak?
What retorqueing pattern did you use when you tightened them up?
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:58 AM   #5
Jim Boy

Smile Re: 1961 straight 6 235 question

I'd try a pressure test on the cooling system. Some coolant might be showing on the outside but a head gasket could be gone on the inside, not visible, which needs to be fixed quickly or other problems may be created. Air bubbles in the rad while running is a sign to look for as well. Keep trucking though, it's only money. Have a good one and good luck.
Jim Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:47 PM   #6
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Out of curiosity, why are we rehashing the same post? Is there some new information we missed?

This is a duplicate that was posted previously. Just scroll down the page to find it.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:52 PM   #7
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
Out of curiosity, why are we rehashing the same post? Is there some new information we missed?

This is a duplicate that was posted previously. Just scroll down the page to find it.
Huh!
There’s another thread like this!
Oh there it is!
Oh well, twice the entertainment I guess!
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote