The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2016, 09:53 PM   #1
Crushkrew

Re: 1976 Square "Simple Green"

I really hope adding direct connections to the battery positive and ground solves your problem...

I am no electrical engineer and I know you are focused on the voltage. ...but the power formula P=IxV...tells us that even with an equal voltage of 10.5 volts at the starter and the distrobution block...that if the computer or injectors are not getting enough Power. ..watts...due to not being able to draw enough amps...then no go....looking at your diagram of how you have the positive wired...I am assuming that you are using a heavy cable to the starter and a light wire to the distribution block...and we all know that when cranking that the starter can draw hundreds of amps....and maybe that is not allowing the necessary Power to get to the distribution block...and maybe a direct connection to the battery will....

I keep trying to apply the old fire hose analogy..but can't seem to articulate it....just trying to help eliminate items with you....

I do recall when I was running am old powerjection system on another car...having similar issues that were solved when directly wired to batt + & -...

I hope it works for you (and the rest of us with units on order)...so you can stop pulling your hair out....
Old 01-01-2016, 10:02 PM   #2
ray1970

Smile Re: 1976 Square "Simple Green"

Ray here.
Can you shorten up that last post i barely got to the end.

Ray.
ray1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:15 PM   #3
Crushkrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1970 View Post
Ray here.
Can you shorten up that last post i barely got to the end.

Ray.

Sure...add wires...tell us if it works...
Old 01-01-2016, 10:09 PM   #4
RodsGreen10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushkrew View Post
I really hope adding direct connections to the battery positive and ground solves your problem...

I am no electrical engineer and I know you are focused on the voltage. ...but the power formula P=IxV...tells us that even with an equal voltage of 10.5 volts at the starter and the distrobution block...that if the computer or injectors are not getting enough Power. ..watts...due to not being able to draw enough amps...then no go....looking at your diagram of how you have the positive wired...I am assuming that you are using a heavy cable to the starter and a light wire to the distribution block...and we all know that when cranking that the starter can draw hundreds of amps....and maybe that is not allowing the necessary Power to get to the distribution block...and maybe a direct connection to the battery will....

I keep trying to apply the old fire hose analogy..but can't seem to articulate it....just trying to help eliminate items with you....

I do recall when I was running am old powerjection system on another car...having similar issues that were solved when directly wired to batt + & -...

I hope it works for you (and the rest of us with units on order)...so you can stop pulling your hair out....
OHMs law lol taking me back. I will test it out. But I still think it is some bs that I have to buy a ground wire and ground it to the battery. The FiTech does not have a ground. They are counting on the system to ground out by the mounting studs. So as a added precaution they need to ad a dedicated ground wire in the system. As a customer I shouldn't have to be doing that. If I do this and it does not fix it man o man am I going to be ****ing mad as dammit!!!
RodsGreen10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:17 PM   #5
Crushkrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodsGreen10 View Post
OHMs law lol taking me back. I will test it out. But I still think it is some bs that I have to buy a ground wire and ground it to the battery. The FiTech does not have a ground. They are counting on the system to ground out by the mounting studs. So as a added precaution they need to ad a dedicated ground wire in the system. As a customer I shouldn't have to be doing that. If I do this and it does not fix it man o man am I going to be ****ing mad as dammit!!!

I would start with just stringing an extension for the positive to battery...then negative...??
Old 01-01-2016, 10:25 PM   #6
RodsGreen10

I will test it tomorrow and let everyone know. I am getting tired of dealing with this. I want to move on to my next install my tranny. Then my c notch. Then interior. And maybe just maybe if every goes my way which it probably won't a supercharger hahaha!!
Old 01-01-2016, 10:28 PM   #7
RodsGreen10

I will say this never had this much issue with a carb the MSD or the Holley. But with saying that I still like the FiTech the best out of all of them if I can get this ***** to fire up cold I will be golden.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:30 PM   #8
Crushkrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodsGreen10 View Post
I will say this never had this much issue with a carb the MSD or the Holley. But with saying that I still like the FiTech the best out of all of them if I can get this ***** to fire up cold I will be golden.

Maybe you could wrap a nitrous bottle warmer around it...😂
Old 01-01-2016, 10:36 PM   #9
RodsGreen10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushkrew View Post
Maybe you could wrap a nitrous bottle warmer around it...😂
Thinking outside the box. I like it! Lol.