The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Lugnutz65

Re: How To Restore and Detail an Original Gauge Cluster

Hey, WOW! That looks great! You did a nice job. There are many great contributors on this website. TheAstronaut is one of them! Did you line the carboard tubes with foil tape?

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
JWheeler331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 View Post
Hey, WOW! That looks great! You did a nice job. There are many great contributors on this website. TheAstronaut is one of them! Did you line the carboard tubes with foil tape?

I didn't do that. I used two 3 layers of the colored transparent stuff and was afraid of it was any brighter when lit up that it would shine through too much. When I hook it up I will know for sure. If its dim I may do that. This transparent stuff is much more thin than the original.
Posted via Mobile Device
JWheeler331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWheeler331 View Post
I didn't do that. I used two 3 layers of the colored transparent stuff and was afraid of it was any brighter when lit up that it would shine through too much. When I hook it up I will know for sure. If its dim I may do that. This transparent stuff is much more thin than the original.
Posted via Mobile Device
I also used the transparent plastic film. I used 3 or 4 layers to try and match the original color. How many layers did you use?
Posted via Mobile Device

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWheeler331 View Post
. . . was afraid if it was any brighter when lit up that it would shine through too much.
Posted via Mobile Device
I thought about using LED but then you can't dim them. They stay the same brightness. Then again, I have the dimmer all the way up on all my vehicles, so I doubt that I would dim them anyway.

I did bench test my gauge lights (all stock bulbs) after my resto and I think the 3 or 4 layers will look just right.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
JWheeler331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnutz65 View Post
I thought about using LED but then you can't dim them. They stay the same brightness. Then again, I have the dimmer all the way up on all my vehicles, so I doubt that I would dim them anyway.

I did bench test my gauge lights (all stock bulbs) after my resto and I think the 3 or 4 layers will look just right.

I put a flashlight with about the same brightness in the back and checked them out. I think it will shine nicely when in the truck.
JWheeler331 is offline   Reply With Quote