The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
bobshotrodblazer
BigBlockBobby

Aussie right hand drive

Pretty cool
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
tmc1986

Re: Aussie right hand drive

That is awesome. I like that color combo. The lady is pretty damn fine too
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
c10monkey

That is neat!
Would love to see more details.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

Very cool!!!
72 4x4
BADPURPLE70CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #5
Scott>72-GMC

Not that I know much. But it is right hand drive shouldn't the column shift be on the other side?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
70cst

One word ... SWEET

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
ole dollor

Very Nice....i like that truck also...
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #8
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott>72-GMC View Post
Not that I know much. But it is right hand drive shouldn't the column shift be on the other side?
Posted via Mobile Device
Right hand drive, brake is still on the left and gas on the right, and I'm pretty sure the turn signals are still on the left, so I'm guessing a column shifter would be on the right, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a right hand drive vehicle with a column shift, just not a very common thing.

I'm digging the opposed wipers though, I'm thinking about doing that to mine, though I would have thought they would be longer and overlap. Interesting to see one that uses the mystery wiper hole.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:32 AM   #9
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

If you have one of the mysterious Assembly Manuals, you'll find illustrations of the RHD wiper configuration, showing the usage of the 3rd hole in the cowl. It does take a different piece of linkage, but the motor stays in the same location as LHD.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
Street Smart

Kool truck, i like the front plate.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...=74049&cat=500
Street Smart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #11
Katrina/10

Like. There is another Aussie guy on here with a 67 RHD with manual trans, the shift linkage crossed over to the left hand side of the truck. Looked complex.

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:50 AM   #12
motorcritter

Restored /serviced a late-fifties Bentley, years ago. It had a HydraMatic, column shift, and it was RHD and the shifter was on the right. It was the first RHD car I encountered with an auto teams and column shift (this was long ago). The other RHD cars (English or Japanese) I dealt with has the pedals in the same order as LHD cars, throttle on the right, brake in the middle and clutch to the left. I see where the wipers are set up with that 'mystery pivot mount' position.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2013, 01:18 AM   #13
Russ.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio View Post
Right hand drive, brake is still on the left and gas on the right, and I'm pretty sure the turn signals are still on the left, so I'm guessing a column shifter would be on the right, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a right hand drive vehicle with a column shift, just not a very common thing.

I'm digging the opposed wipers though, I'm thinking about doing that to mine, though I would have thought they would be longer and overlap. Interesting to see one that uses the mystery wiper hole.
The column shifter would be on the left side of the column. It's a converted truck, not factory RHD.

All factory RHD column shift cars (not just C10's) have the shifter on the left of the column, indicator on the right. Pedal setup is the same as LHD form left to right: Clutch, brake, accelerator.

Here's my factory RHD C10. Whilst it was converted to floor shift by a previous owner, it was an original column shift (and will be returned to such by me). Shifter is on the left of the column, indicators on the right.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=564825

... and factory KPH speedo

Russ.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #14
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ.W. View Post
The column shifter would be on the left side of the column. It's a converted truck, not factory RHD.

All factory RHD column shift cars (not just C10's) have the shifter on the left of the column, indicator on the right. Pedal setup is the same as LHD form left to right: Clutch, brake, accelerator.
Now this is all very interesting, a little reading seems to indicate that European and UK cars almost universally share a column between their LHD and RHD versions, meaning both Europe and the UK put the turn signals on the left regardless of drive side. The exception to this seems to be the Japanese who swap configurations for domestic market vehicles. Is it possible that these are so uncommon that they are essentially hand fabricated and differ from one to the next? Does the fact that one is an auto the other a manual make a difference in handedness? To move a 3 speed column shift to the habitual shift hand seems like could be done by turning the column upside down, which wouldn't work for an auto.

I also notice the the drivers side wiper sweeps to the outside on the drivers side using opposed wipers on this Aussie truck and sweep both to the passenger side on Russ's truck which would seem like the wrong way. The other thing that is interesting is that Russ's truck has a Kph speedometer, so does this mean it was intended for the Japanese, India or maybe African markets? UK still uses Mph and Australia didn't mark roads in kph until 1974 though vehicles were required to have dual markings in 73 and some 72s did as well but none exclusively until 1974.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:45 AM   #15
'68OrangeSunshine

Hi Russ:
I see your '67 cab also has the Cigar Lighter and Ignition Key Bezel reversed. And no Fan/Heater switches, and no punch outs for the Tuner/Volume stems for a radio. The North American cabs all were punched for radio knobs and then, if not ordered a radio delete plate clipped in. Wiper, Lights and Choke are in the same positions as any other '67-'68s.
Nice truck, Mate.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:08 AM   #16
67swb72klb

thats the nicest RHD truck i have seen i would like more info on the wipers...i wonder
Old 06-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #17
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
Hi Russ:
Wiper, Lights and Choke are in the same positions as any other '67-'68s.
Nice truck, Mate.
Actually his wipers are where the lights are supposed to be and the lights in the manual throttle position, weird. So Russ, I saw from your thread there is a heater, so where are the controls for it? If this truck didn't have the metric speedo, I would have instantly thought that being that it had been in Connecticut it was a rural postal vehicle, the metric speedo is a real perplexer. Still think the wipers ended up being replaced with more commonly available US parts given where it was, if the 3rd hole is not for RHD then why is it there at all?

You look at these trucks with the mirrored gauge cluster and glove box and think a LHD to RHD manufactured vehicle would just be a few simple parts swaps, but Russ's truck shows how not true that is.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #18
Russ.W.

Quote:
Now this is all very interesting, a little reading seems to indicate that European and UK cars almost universally share a column between their LHD and RHD versions, meaning both Europe and the UK put the turn signals on the left regardless of drive side. The exception to this seems to be the Japanese who swap configurations for domestic market vehicles. Is it possible that these are so uncommon that they are essentially hand fabricated and differ from one to the next? Does the fact that one is an auto the other a manual make a difference in handedness? To move a 3 speed column shift to the habitual shift hand seems like could be done by turning the column upside down, which wouldn't work for an auto.

I also notice the the drivers side wiper sweeps to the outside on the drivers side using opposed wipers on this Aussie truck and sweep both to the passenger side on Russ's truck which would seem like the wrong way. The other thing that is interesting is that Russ's truck has a Kph speedometer, so does this mean it was intended for the Japanese, India or maybe African markets? UK still uses Mph and Australia didn't mark roads in kph until 1974 though vehicles were required to have dual markings in 73 and some 72s did as well but none exclusively until 1974.

The Left-hand indicator on RHD vehicles is a European thing. I had a BMW approx 10 years back. It was a 93 model, and the indicator was on the left. It was a manual vehicle, but by this time column shift vehicles may have been a thing of the past.

Every Australian vehicle I've had, regardless of transmission or floor or column shift has had the Indicator on the right.

Regarding the wipers ... it's an oddity. Every export Chevy I've seen, which comes out of Canada, utilises the RHD opposing wipers. My truck, however, was special ordered and built in Tarrytown, NY. Whether that played a difference, or a previous owner switched it, is anybody's guess. The story of my truck is: special ordered by a Connecticut gentlemen that owned property in the UK and took the truck with him. He sold the UK property some 10 years later, then returned with the truck to Connecticut, where he sold it to a fella whom used it as a mail truck for a few years.

Quote:
Hi Russ:
I see your '67 cab also has the Cigar Lighter and Ignition Key Bezel reversed. And no Fan/Heater switches, and no punch outs for the Tuner/Volume stems for a radio. The North American cabs all were punched for radio knobs and then, if not ordered a radio delete plate clipped in. Wiper, Lights and Choke are in the same positions as any other '67-'68s.
Nice truck, Mate.
If you look at the picture of the dash, above where the radio "would" be, you'll see a black toggle switch - that's what controlled the heater. There are no other controls. Simply on/off.

This vehicle is an absolute poverty pack. No radio (nor cut-out), and no heater/demister setup.

Quote:
Actually his wipers are where the lights are supposed to be and the lights in the manual throttle position, weird. So Russ, I saw from your thread there is a heater, so where are the controls for it? If this truck didn't have the metric speedo, I would have instantly thought that being that it had been in Connecticut it was a rural postal vehicle, the metric speedo is a real perplexer. Still think the wipers ended up being replaced with more commonly available US parts given where it was, if the 3rd hole is not for RHD then why is it there at all?

You look at these trucks with the mirrored gauge cluster and glove box and think a LHD to RHD manufactured vehicle would just be a few simple parts swaps, but Russ's truck shows how not true that is.

I think the big difference with mine, as apposed to other RHD vehicles, is mine was special ordered. A dedicated "export" vehicle designated as such by the tag; and it being built/shipped form Canada, would have been a little more RHD specific.

Mine being built in Tarrytown, only the bare essentials would have been changed as to not upset the production line. This may account for the wipers being standard.

That's my theory anyway.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #19
c10monkey

Quote:

Here's my factory RHD C10. Whilst it was converted to floor shift by a previous owner, it was an original column shift (and will be returned to such by me). Shifter is on the left of the column, indicators on the right.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=564825

... and factory KPH speedo

So no heater or A/C either? Interesting
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #20
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
The Left-hand indicator on RHD vehicles is a European thing. I had a BMW approx 10 years back. It was a 93 model, and the indicator was on the left. It was a manual vehicle, but by this time column shift vehicles may have been a thing of the past.

Every Australian vehicle I've had, regardless of transmission or floor or column shift has had the Indicator on the right.

[...]

The story of my truck is: special ordered by a Connecticut gentlemen that owned property in the UK and took the truck with him. He sold the UK property some 10 years later, then returned with the truck to Connecticut, where he sold it to a fella whom used it as a mail truck for a few years.
Meaning RHD Holdens have the indicator on the right, RHD Vauxhalls have the indicator on the left, and LHD Chevys have the indicator on the left, even though you can buy the same car from all three? Ah, nothing like a common language to standardize things.

Makes the Kilo speedo even more perplexing being specially built for use in a country that *still* uses Mph.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #21
67c10rustbuket

Quote:
Hi Russ:
Nice truck, Mate.
Quote:

68orange is correct, 67-68 dash bezels are different than 69-72 with the left side having wipers on top lights on bottom. Right side top position is the choke and manual throttle would be below that when optioned. Another oddity. Also the 67 dash is trimmed in argent silver paint rather than plasti-chrome. The 69+ version layout makes more sense. Last I checked no one is making a 67 bezel.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #22
67c10rustbuket

Forgot pic. 67 bezel
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #23
Russ.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10monkey View Post
So no heater or A/C either? Interesting
No A/C. Does have a heater but it may have been installed by the owner.

If you look at this image, the black toggle switch up the top was to turn the heater on (I think).

At the bottom of the dash, next to the temp gauge - that is the heater open/close controls. Pull it out, and it opens up, push it in and it closes.

I should have taken a video of how it operated before I took everything apart. Will do so when I get a chance.

Here's the heater box out, with the lever the control knob was connected to.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #24
c10monkey

Quote:
No A/C. Does have a heater but it may have been installed by the owner.

If you look at this image, the black toggle switch up the top was to turn the heater on (I think).

At the bottom of the dash, next to the temp gauge - that is the heater open/close controls. Pull it out, and it opens up, push it in and it closes.

I should have taken a video of how it operated before I took everything apart. Will do so when I get a chance.

Here's the heater box out, with the lever the control knob was connected to.

That is really interesting.... thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #25
Scott>72-GMC

All very interesting
Posted via Mobile Device