The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2021, 10:13 PM   #1
duramax55

door seals

ok so i installed my door seals and can't close the door turned them around and I can close the door but doesn't seal.. Anyone use the soft seal and did the close better ? is there a generic seal that would work?
duramax55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:31 PM   #2
dsraven

Re: door seals

pics worth a thousand words especially if we don't now what you are working on. I assume its a 55? possibly a 55.2? going from memory of previous posts but I have seen lots of posts from lots of guys so its easy to lose track of who has what. a quick intro in the post would clarify for future reference.
last AD I did, the soffseal was the cure. tried the ones from LMC first (I think it was LMC, maybe somebody else. been awhile) but door wouldn't close. I have heard steeles is also awesome.
gotta fit door to the opening first, no latch, and get the gaps right. that is gaps for the door to the cab if it is a 55.2. the front fender gets attention after the door fits the cab opening. then install the latch and adjust so it closes proper without the latch getting the door into proper alignment at the end of it's swing. the latch should just be responsible for keeping the door at it's final depth, not for dragging it to the proper height. then install the seals. if the seals are pliable like they are supposed to be then the door should still close and latch. otherwise the seals are too hard, not the right profile, installed wrong or the sheet metal on the cab or doors isn't right. the last is a possibility because over the years lots of things happen. trucks go from being the new unit to being second best to being fix it cheap or the repair is more than the truck is worth. lots of these old trucks came through hard times where they were fixed with what was laying around and put together with spit and grit. things just had to close and fit good enough to keep the big rain or snow out. some guys will say install what you have and park it in the sun so the rubber can get a set over a couple weeks. maybe best to check the assembly manual to ensure the seals are installed the correct way and the profile is correct, then go from there.

sorry, no link for the AD trucks but here is a 55-59 assembly manual. go to sheet 82 for the weatherstrip instruction drawings.
https://www.trifive.com/d1/55-59Assy.pdf

https://www.steelerubber.com/
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 09:16 AM   #3
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by duramax55 View Post
ok so i installed my door seals and can't close the door turned them around and I can close the door but doesn't seal.. Anyone use the soft seal and did the close better ? is there a generic seal that would work?
Yes I've used soff seal 2 times and my doors on the 56 chevy close tight and seals great. make sure you've put them on correctly. check out the videos on YOUTUBE to ensure you're putting them on correctly.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:07 AM   #4
MALIBLOC

I used soft seals and it seems like they kicked out my doors ever so slightly, the seal was great but I didnt like the fact that they may have been "Too Thick" for my application if that makes sense.
My truck is at paint so I will look for that thread someone posted about some other seals on here if I find it I will bump it up
MALIBLOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 02:54 PM   #5
toymanbob

DSRAVEN, Nice thoughtfully explained response on fitting the door then the seals.
toymanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 04:29 PM   #6
MiraclePieCo

SoffSeal wouldn't work on my AD - too thick. I just got some generic large self-adhesive D-cell and it fits, seals, and looks great.
Old 04-03-2021, 06:17 PM   #7
duramax55

dsraven sorry the truck is a 55.2 . I guess i screwed up when i built it now i have to put the doors with the right gap on outside and get that to work just thought i would ask. i know my inside gaps are not good. as far as putting them in the right way i had them in the right way but could not close the door. Turned them around and i can close the door ok but they do nit seal. might have to try some d shape stuff???
Old 04-04-2021, 05:10 PM   #8
MALIBLOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
SoffSeal wouldn't work on my AD - too thick. I just got some generic large self-adhesive D-cell and it fits, seals, and looks great.
what brand did you do , did you do it on both door and cab?
MALIBLOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:31 PM   #9
duramax55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALIBLOC View Post
what brand did you do , did you do it on both door and cab?
no brand name on bag lot of guys seem to have the same problems with fitment. might try some d shape or o shape
Old 04-05-2021, 11:56 PM   #10
Dan in Pasadena

Rule of thumb on the Task Force trucks is if the door seal looks like it's on right, it's not!

They are sort of an "L" shape and it is NOT supposed to conform to the shape of the door. Instead it is installed sun that it kinda folds when the doors are closed.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:22 PM   #11
duramax55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Rule of thumb on the Task Force trucks is if the door seal looks like it's on right, it's not!

They are sort of an "L" shape and it is NOT supposed to conform to the shape of the door. Instead it is installed sun that it kinda folds when the doors are closed.
i tried them both ways and the door only closes when i put them in the wrong way. will try them that way for now and see if they seal