The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2021, 03:34 PM   #1
Lancialonnie

Suspension Upgrade Question

I really like the idea of being able to make adjustments to fine tune a new lowered suspension, but the current budget won't allow a complete coil over tubular control/trailing arm F/R kit right now. So my options are go with a standard springs & shocks tubular control arms set up or, and and here's where I need some input, go with a complete coil over tubular control arm front suspension and lowered springs and shocks on the rear while I save up to do a complete rear suspension. I know my front suspension needs to be replaced and I'm sure replacing everything is going to make a huge difference in how it drives but would it be okay to drive with a new coil over suspension in the front and an old style spring suspension in the rear? Anyone running coil overs in front springs/shocks in the rear? Curious to hear what anyone thinks about setting it up this way?
Lancialonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:21 PM   #2
SkidmoreGarage

Re: Suspension Upgrade Question

A coilover and a spring and shock are the same thing, just packaged differently. You can get the same performance out of either one. The main difference is usually that an aftermarket coilover has an adjustable spring perch, which is almost the same as getting lowering springs.

In summary, you can run a tubular front control arm setup with coilovers and also retain a spring and shock in the rear without any issues. Trailing arm suspension can be a great. I'd recommend this approach if that is what your budget dictates.

The main benefit of most well engineered rear coilover systems is that, like the front, they change the suspension kinematics and geometry to improve dampening, axle control, and change the roll center. You sort of do these yourself on a budget with shock relocation kit and a lowered panhard bar to correct the roll center. I'm partial to no limit engineering. Good value.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote