The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2005, 01:03 PM   #1
I1502

Ford man buys GMC...advice needed

Hi Folks...I'm in the process of buying a '65 I1502 (3/4 ton long bed, floor shift 4-speed) and I assumed that the orange small block V-8 (ramhorn manifolds, 2 BBL) was the original engine but it seems that this came with a straight six . I'm a veteran old car guy (Fords, Studebakers) and can usually spot any "butcher" work, but I'm not as yet familiar with these trucks. The installation must have been done years ago. The wavy round fan shroud looks factory, and everything seems to be all stock. Was this an easy "bolt-in" swap from a Chevy or were small blocks an option?
- The vehicles condition; looks like original paint, bed wood has rot, but you can stand up in it. Dings and dents. The drivers door is bent in the front edge because the little restraining bar broke at the pin. The door was opened too wide as a result, and the front fender edge did the creasing. Is this a common fault?
- The dashboard instrument cluster has three round holes for gauges, but the far left one is just a gaping hole..what went there?
- The truck has 8 lug split rims. Are there any common later solid rims that will accept the original GMC hubcaps?
- The blue paint is worn off and there is plenty of surface rust, but the fender corners are solid ( I'm in Southern Califonia). There is a little stress cracking in the rear upper corners of the bed. I don't know the mechanical condition yet, it's sat for years. I plan on making it a clean work/tow vehicle.
Is there anything else I need to look for?
Thanks for any help!
P.S. I've always thought the GMC "dog bone" grille looked great!
I1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 12:59 AM   #2
Josh
He's got mean nasty FANGS!

Welcome to the forum! These trucks are fairly simple to swap motors in with a donor vehicle, and make it look factory. Small block was available as an option also, as was a V6 (GMC only for V6) As for the door damage I'm not sure, I do mostly 67-72s, but someone on the 60-66 board should be able to answer our question. Sounds like a clean solid foundation to start a project, I'm unsure what gages go in it though...
1969 C-10
1967 C-10 Panel
josh@67-72chevytrucks.com
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 01:01 AM   #3
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 06:19 AM   #4
I1502

Thanks, guys, I'll repost in the 60-66 forum
I1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 10:30 PM   #5
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Welcome to the boards,and yes that pesky little pin has ruined many many doors.In fact it's tough to find a good drivers door sometimes that has no dents for that very reason.
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 02:11 AM   #6
HerLonghorn71
Account Suspended

welcome!!i am glad to hear a ford guy has jumped the fence to the chevy side!!!!!the door may be easier to replace than fix
HerLonghorn71 is offline   Reply With Quote