The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 67-72

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 12:22 AM   #1
HuggerCST

Tail light fuel filler

Here's my version of a tail light fuel filler. I would have taken better pics of it as it went together, but my fab skills leave alot to be desired. It was fun though, and turned out ok I think. It still needs some fine tuning(rubbing, spring tension, paint, etc), but I'm satisfied so far. Filling the tank will be the real test. Thanks to you guys that helped with ideas and parts.
Attached Images

53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Chevy GMC International Truck Club Louisiana Charter Member
http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
Old 01-09-2007, 01:16 AM   #2
HuggerCST

Re: Tail light fuel filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvelDesigns View Post
oh, and your work looks really good too. This is exactly what i am planning to do once i get my tank relocated.

give us some details on what you used for parts.
Sorry for crappy pics.(cheap camera) I used the same marine filler that John Fabris used with his custom filler in FAQ. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...allpartial/0/0
The LEDs came from ECE, and are manufactured by board member "Jmac05". Other than that, it's just 1 & 1/2" muffler pipe, fuel hose & clamps, some 3/8 pipe fittings, an old hinge that I had, a throttle spring, sheetmetal, bondo, & primer. If I was to do it again, I'd change a few things like lowering it a half inch or so, and I would change the angle of the muffler tubing to aim straight at the tank filler pipe. This would require removing one or two of the bedside to rear crossmember bolts, but I think it would still be strong enough. Oh yeah, the 2 rubber bumpers are 67-72 fleetside tailgate bumpers. Here's another angle.
Attached Images

53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Old 01-09-2007, 01:22 AM   #3
HuggerCST

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdkid View Post
I think this calls for a full FAQ writeup. I like this better than the side marker fill. I'm wondering what holds it closed?
Kinda hard to explan, but I used a universal throttle spring that is mounted at an angle so that it holds it closed, but when opened, "cams over", and holds it open. You can see it in the inside pic. The other end is attached to the side of the light backing plate. You can see that just below my finger in the LED pic.
Frank (PICKMUP) has changed suppliers, and doesn't sell this brand anymore.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Old 01-09-2007, 11:12 AM   #4
HuggerCST

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
Where did the backin plate for the lights come from(the one that hinges down)? Is that part of the LED kit? That came out great, and looks smooth.

Just out of curiosity, where does the spring connect to the light fixture at?
I cut the bulb bucket out of my original backing plate, welded in some sheetmetal, and smoothed it with bondo. Here's a pic that I edited to show the spring location.
EDIT- Well, you can hardly see it, but I circled it with red just under my finger on the left side.
Attached Images

53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Old 01-09-2007, 04:53 PM   #5
HuggerCST

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten View Post
That looks like it's going to be real clean when finished up. How do you make it open? Are you able to pull down from the top or do you push it in at the bottom? Any particular reason that exhaust tubing was used instead of fuel line (aside from that size of rubber tubing not being easily available everywhere)?
Rubber filler hose would have been better than steel, it was just easier to get the bend that I wanted using steel verses seaching the wrecking yards for the right size/bend. As far as I know, no aftermarket company makes it pre bent, but I haven't researched it. If I find some, I may change it, but would still have to piece it together to get it to the tank. The easiest way to open it is to push on the bottom. At first I was planning to use a magnetic cabinet door latch to hold it closed, but I liked the spring better. Right now I don't think it has enough tension holding it closed, and I'm thinking about raising the point where the spring attaches to the light housing to give it more leverage.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Closed Thread