The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2009, 08:03 AM   #1
lewisaric

New to body work and paint

I am about to start my frame off restoration on my 68 short step. I`m new to the whole paint and body world, but I think with a litle guidance I can have a great outcome. The only major sheetmetal work I will be doing will be removing my drip rails, replacing rockers and replacing front and rear bumpers with roll pans. There is very little rust in the truck. Only in the doors(none to the cab itself). I know that I don`t need to cut the old rockers out before I get the new ones to make sure I don`t cut too much. How would I go about shaving my drip rails(other than start hacking it up). I want to do everything right, and not cut corners. Thanks
lewisaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #2
vintagesteel

Re: New to body work and paint

dont concentrate on the drip rails right now. If you are new to all of this, just dont jump in with grinders and cut off wheels a blazzin. That is a mod that is a lot harder and more time consuming than it looks. Dont worry we're here to help. just slow down a little. Do your other sheet metal first and get used to everything then takle your drip rails. http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t...rty/index.html
Here's the link to there article.

Last edited by vintagesteel; 10-16-2009 at 05:26 PM.
vintagesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
vintagesteel

yeah, I learned along time ago, really and truely, there's no rush! If you give yourself a set deadline to be done, you end up rushing in the end. I see alot of people who buy a project then go out looking at paint! Its ok to have an idea, but leave it at that. Make final decisions when the time is right. My 54 chevy 2dr I've had for a year and am just NOW getting ready to work on it. I know its hard . You get excited and want to jump right in. Planning ahead is the only way to complete a project. I changed my mind 3 times on what I wanted to do with my car. First I wanted a mild custom, then I seen a gasser that was BAD A$$. But finally I decided on a complete custom built chassis, air bags and a twin turbo small block. The way I have chosen will cost me 4 times as much and will take me WAY longer, but it will be the way I want it. It will also be the first time I've built a chassis. I have the good fortune of having alot of friends that are sharing there knowledge and helping me out. Plus asking lots of questions and looking here on the chassis side. It should be a roller and in primer for Goodguys in Kansas next year. I'll definitely not keep receipts. lol. Hell the wheels I want are $1225 A PIECE for the rear. Thing is I'm building the car AROUND them. I'm going to have to build a pair of mock up wheels to get the chassis and rear suspension set up. Anyway, I'll get back on track and quit rambling about MY junk! The infomation is here and we've all said it before. We are all here to help and learn. This IS the best site I've been on. We all have our opinions and sometimes bicker over the details, but one thing we ALL have in common, we have all started right where you are! And we ALL have a passion about our cars/trucks. Don't EVER let that die.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
vintagesteel

Also (here I go again) before you tear things apart. Go buy a labeler from walmart. Buy a case of gallon ziploc bags and a bunch of plastic tubs and totes. Mark EVERYTHING and put them in there dedicated tubs. This will make everything go WAY smoother. Take TONS of digital photos before and after you take things apart. Keep a note book(s) dedicated to the truck. jot down notes as you look things over and take things apart. YOU WILL NOT REMEMBER how things go back together. This is a LONG process so take it one step at a time. Keep a notebook with ideas you have. Pics of other trucks you like, body mods you like, wheels tires, colors, ect.... They dont even have to been things you've seen on these trucks. Look at street rods, hot rods, customs, ect.. Anywhere to get ideas. Some will work, some wont. They are just ideas at this point. This will help you work towards your goal. There is enough knowledge here that you can go factory correct restore( which obviously your not) to full on magazine cover truck. Which ever way you want, help is here for the asking.

Last edited by vintagesteel; 10-17-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
vintagesteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowlearn View Post

No joke, I've been working on one fender for three weeks now. I could have bought a replacement for too much money, but working out the years of abuse myself gives me great satisfaction and a bit more knowledge. And my time is cheap...
But you are learning something that cant be taken from you.(unless you get old-timers disease) By doing that you gain knowledge that will help you tackle larger more complex jobs, sometimes without realizing how tough the job was you just finished. I've been guilty of discouraging people from doing something because it was easier to buy a replacement. You only gain so much knowledge by replacing panels. dont let ANYBODY discourage you from learning, and you can only truely learn by DOING. This is how cutting edge customs and technology is developed. It's usually by somebody who didn't KNOW it was impossible.

Last edited by vintagesteel; 10-17-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
lewisaric

I have spent more time researching than I can even comprehend. The only progress I have made is removing the motor&trans. I`m waiting on doing anything else until I can get the roof on my friends shop fixed, then cleaned out. As far as taking my time, I`m doing that tenfold. Thanks for all of the advise.
lewisaric is offline   Reply With Quote