The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2020, 05:43 PM   #1
kglowacky

front suspension challange

I finished my truck and start driving it. put 50 miles on it and way to much slop in the steering. New rebuilt steering box. When I turn the wheel back and forth it appeared to be in the box. also I noticed when I turned the wheel back and forth the frame horns flexed back and forth. Is this common? Took the box off and took it back to the rebuilder, He fixed it said cracked cover and worn main gear. Had a major issue removing the box as I could not get the pitman arm loose from the solid cross bar, Had to remove it all as one unite and disconnect the thing with great force on the bench. Now I am trying to re install everything I cant get the tie rod and crossbar assembly connected as one piece do to a clearance problem with the lower control arm and the pitman arm. Is this common and do I need to re assemble piece by piece? Next I bought this truck in pieces and the previous owner gave me the parts from this truck 78 c01 and a 80,s something Suburban. I am perplexed on what my problem is.
Is it the rebuilt box and now I am good to go.
Or do I have a binding issue as one of my parts is off a suburban and creating the bind.
I will say when I bought all my new tie rod ends and other suspension parts they were all for a c10 but the idle arm I had to go with a 86 suburban to match my crossbar, So if the crossbar is different on a suburban there may be my problem. Sorry for the long email I just wanted to give you all the background. Your thoughts,
kglowacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
sweetk30

Re: front suspension challange

box to frame flex can be helped a TON with this unit . https://www.offroaddesign.com/bolt-i...wd-trucks.html

i use them in my 4wd builds and wow what a difference .

as said you can possible have mix and match the wrong parts but i dont play with 2wd much so no help there .

and the guy who rebuilt the box and then said it had worn parts ? ? ? whats up with that
85-c10sb summer fun toy .
-----------------------------
HOLLEY SNIPER efi = worst case of p.i.t.a i ever had .

EDELBROCK pro flo 4 = best deal going so far . love my setup works great.
sweetk30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:14 AM   #3
kglowacky

The rebuilt guy is one of my concerns, Did he not replace the worn parts the first time or did I wear them out in 50 miles because I have others problems with something binding. I didn't asked him if that was possible . He did do the repairs free of charge . Hard for me to believe I could wear something out in such a short time.
Old 11-03-2020, 10:43 AM   #4
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglowacky View Post
I finished my truck and start driving it. put 50 miles on it and way to much slop in the steering. New rebuilt steering box. When I turn the wheel back and forth it appeared to be in the box. also I noticed when I turned the wheel back and forth the frame horns flexed back and forth. Is this common? Took the box off and took it back to the rebuilder, He fixed it said cracked cover and worn main gear. Had a major issue removing the box as I could not get the pitman arm loose from the solid cross bar, Had to remove it all as one unite and disconnect the thing with great force on the bench. Now I am trying to re install everything I cant get the tie rod and crossbar assembly connected as one piece do to a clearance problem with the lower control arm and the pitman arm. Is this common and do I need to re assemble piece by piece? Next I bought this truck in pieces and the previous owner gave me the parts from this truck 78 c01 and a 80,s something Suburban. I am perplexed on what my problem is.
Is it the rebuilt box and now I am good to go.
Or do I have a binding issue as one of my parts is off a suburban and creating the bind.
I will say when I bought all my new tie rod ends and other suspension parts they were all for a c10 but the idle arm I had to go with a 86 suburban to match my crossbar, So if the crossbar is different on a suburban there may be my problem. Sorry for the long email I just wanted to give you all the background. Your thoughts,
I'm guessing here but betting by your term "crossbar" that you 're probably referring to the drag-link/center link that the tie-rod ends, Idler arm & Pitman arm all connect to?

I don't recall any differences between a power steering equipped vs manual steer 73-87 truck/burb as far as tie-rods or the drag/center-link. The Pitman arm was different for a power set-up vs. manual; not sure about the idler arm.

The Pitman arm can sometimes require a special puller to remove it from the steering box. Most auto parts stores have the tool to purchase or rent.

Since you acquired this truck in pieces, is the crossmember that goes between the rails where the steering box attaches still in place?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:41 PM   #5
kglowacky

yes I am talking about the drag link. The frame was replaced from about the firewall forward ( done well and boxed in that area) with a 86 suburban clip. The cross support that the a arms attach to is off the suburban. The only difference I have run into on parts not inter changing was the idle arm to the drag ling hole, where the idle arm attaches to the drag link was a different size from the 78 c10 idle arm that I had purchased The difference was the dia. of the stud that is threaded and the nut attaches to. So I bought a idle arm for the suburban and it bolted right up. Here's my plan going to put it all back together. Will have to remove the tie rod assembly at the drag ling to get the pitman arm to clear to attach. Then I ordered the bracket recommended on this thread and drive it and see what happens. If for some crazy reason i tear up another steering box then back to the drawing board. And really it could have all been caused by a poorly rebuilt steering box to start with. Thanks everyone.