The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2010, 10:10 PM   #1
ranger374

Talking My 62 C10

Hi guys. Found this forum a couple of weeks ago, and finally decided to join. It looks like a great site with a ton of knowlegable folks and info here.

I have what started out as a 62 long bed. To make a long story short, after trying to use the 62 frame and a late model 88-98 stepside bed (which i didn't really like with the 60-66 body style cab). I have decided to go a different route.

I have came upon a 63 short stepside truck that is now in my possession also. So this is my plan--I am going to use the 63 frame and suspension, the 63 stepside bed, and the 62 cab and front end (hood, fenders, etc. that i already had stripped down and primed). My 62 cab was in far better shape than the 63. the front end sheetmetal of the 63 was also trashed as well as both doors, but the bed is in pretty good shape.

I have found that pics along with the build process was and is very helpful to me, so i will put as many pics on here as i can reasonably do. I will add some tomorrow when i get home.
ranger374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
TwiggyTheDrummer
Keep It Simple Stupid.. Nope..

Re: My 62 C10

Welcome, ranger! And it sounds like a good plan with mixing the two trucks in order to use the better parts. Looking forward to the pics!

1963 GMC SWB Fleetside in Sunburst Orange Metallic
305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks
TwiggyTheDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
ranger374

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiggyTheDrummer View Post
Welcome, ranger! And it sounds like a good plan with mixing the two trucks in order to use the better parts. Looking forward to the pics!
thanks. I went thru every page of your build thread the other day. I know you are ready to get that thing on the road. I am ready to see the pics when you get it complete. really like the color you chose too.

I have had min for about 6 yrs now, dissasembled in my basement. i thought about selling it, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. so, now i have decided to get er done.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #4
TwiggyTheDrummer
Keep It Simple Stupid.. Nope..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger374 View Post
thanks. I went thru every page of your build thread the other day. I know you are ready to get that thing on the road. I am ready to see the pics when you get it complete. really like the color you chose too.

I have had min for about 6 yrs now, dissasembled in my basement. i thought about selling it, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. so, now i have decided to get er done.
Thanks man, I'm glad you enjoyed looking at the build so far. And I am definitely ready to get it going but at the same time, I love working on it and will miss that once I've done all that I want to it. But then I'll be driving the hell out of it and really enjoying it.

1963 GMC SWB Fleetside in Sunburst Orange Metallic
305E V6 w/ Plaid VC, Powerglide, BOSS 313 20" Chrome Wheels, Kumho Ecsta STX 275/45/R20's, Alpine/Clarion System, Dynomax Exhaust

Old custom classic trucks have soul. Their dashboards aren't plastic, and they've survived both the best and worst of what the 20th century had to offer. For the owners of these trucks, it's often the same story. Through both good and bad times they persevered, until one day they could turn the key and roll up in a customized truck everyone with good taste would admire.Custom Classic Trucks

Last edited by TwiggyTheDrummer; 06-21-2010 at 10:37 PM.
TwiggyTheDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:41 PM   #5
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Welcome to the site
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 11:22 PM   #6
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Welcome to the site. Just note going in the 62 front cab mounts don't line up with later frame. Here's an earlier thread on the subject, with additional links providing a wealth of information.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ght=cab+mounts
Old 06-22-2010, 12:43 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum

I'm anxious to see what you're working on......
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:11 AM   #8
ranger374

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Welcome to the site. Just note going in the 62 front cab mounts don't line up with later frame. Here's an earlier thread on the subject, with additional links providing a wealth of information.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ght=cab+mounts
Thanks, I already noticed the bolt location was different, just have not decided whether to just move the holes in the cab or modify the frame. Personally, i like the easier part of just moving the holes if that works fine.

Here are a couple of pics from the 62 before disassembly. It also had a cattle pannels on the bed, but i had removed them before i took the pics--you can see them against the retaining wall

Overhead View

pic of bed after rotten wood was removed

as you can see, a farm truck gets pretty beat up

However, the cab was in really good shape--minor rust areas--i patched both cab corners, drivers side rocker, working on cowl vents, and 1 spot above the winshield. I will post some pics of its progress this weekend, since it is at another location--i have to finish blasting and patching, and hope to have some primer on it this weekend or the first of next week. I'll get some pics of the 63 and the bed when i get home this afternoon.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:51 PM   #9
ranger374

ok, here's the 63 that will donate the frame, bed and mabye a couple of interior parts

Last edited by ranger374; 06-22-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:54 PM   #10
ranger374

Well, got the cab blasted and cleaned today. I think i still got sand coming out of my ears It was a long HOT day. found out that i got a little more body work than i thought, but it could be worse. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow.

didn't take pics before i started, but i took this one durring a break.

Inside of the cab

I figured while i was at it, i might as well do the underside too

i laid it on the back to blast and etch the underside, and figured it would be a good time to do some work and etch the roof also.

now to get the rest of the body work done and prime it.

Last edited by ranger374; 06-27-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:10 PM   #11
ranger374

Well, got some primer on the roof. also got the rockers and cab corners welded in place. got to get the welds ground down smooth, and finish fixin whats left of the swill cheese in the floor pan, although it could have been worse--i only had to cut out a 2" x 4" piece. the rest i can fill by welding and grinding--I hate body work

i guess i'm just ready for it to be sittin on the frame painted with the motor in it.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:31 PM   #12
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
I hate body work

The only thing I enjoy even less is sandblasting!
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #13
Northern lights

Quote:
Thanks, I already noticed the bolt location was different, just have not decided whether to just move the holes in the cab or modify the frame. Personally, i like the easier part of just moving the holes if that works fine.
I put a '62 cab on a '66 4X4 frame 20 years ago and, it seems to me, IIRC, that I just squared everything up and drilled new hole through the floor for the front cab mounts. Don't recall haveing an issue with the rear mounts though. The only down side that I recall is that you don't have the recess for the bolt head so you either have to put some insulation down with cut outs for the bolt heads so the floor mat/carpet lays flat or live with the head causing a bump in the floor mat. In my case, I also had to cut out the low hump so I could bolt in the high hump.
Northern lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:30 PM   #14
ranger374

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
The only thing I enjoy even less is sandblasting!
yeah tell me about it

"I put a '62 cab on a '66 4X4 frame 20 years ago and, it seems to me, IIRC, that I just squared everything up and drilled new hole through the floor for the front cab mounts. Don't recall haveing an issue with the rear mounts though. The only down side that I recall is that you don't have the recess for the bolt head so you either have to put some insulation down with cut outs for the bolt heads so the floor mat/carpet lays flat or live with the head causing a bump in the floor mat. In my case, I also had to cut out the low hump so I could bolt in the high hump."

yes, the rear holes are the same, and i already thought about the recess for the bolt head. I just have to decide if i want to do that, or just weld a piece of channel on the frame to use the original holes. If i re-drill, I will put a sleeve through the hole and weld a slightly bigger piece of pipe at the top for the bolt head to sit in to make it flush with the floor. then when tightned, the sleeve will keep from compressing the floor pan.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #15
1Bad62Pro/Street
"Where were you in '62?"

Thumbs up Re: My 62 C10

Giddy Up................
What Are You Workin' On? - 1Bad62ChevyPickup
PROJECT: "TYRANNORAMBLER REX"
1969 AMC Rambler American Nostalgia Pro/Street
Youtube Channel: Father Son Projects
Youtube Channel: 2TIMOTHY2FITHTEEN

"North and South Carolina Folks Click Here!"
(((( ~ I have Parts For Sale & Miscellaneous Stuff ~ ))))

"Well being as there's no other place around the place,
I reckon this must be the place, I reckon...Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk" -Curly Howard Ph.D.
1Bad62Pro/Street is offline   Reply With Quote