The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
chiro22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5
1951 Chevy value help

Hi,

I recently found out that my friend has an unrestored 1951 Chevy truck for sale, original engine, trans, etc. it's got a new coat of paint (mint green) but other than that all original. It was a daily driver and the owner now, uses it daily as well. I haven't had a mechanic look at it yet, but my buddy says that it runs strong.

My question is ball park value. I'm relatively new to this year of truck. It looks clean, for an unrestored truck, but will def need some work. The body is clean and is overall fairly clean. He told me to do some research and make an offer.

Without photos or more info, I'd appreciate some ideas on what the value is.

Thank you.
chiro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
chiro22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5
Re: 1951 Chevy value help

just looking for a rough estimate for a running, clean, unrestored 51 chevy pickup, from people who have more experience. 3k? 5k? 8k?
chiro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:41 PM   #3
tranzamwayno
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: seattle wa
Posts: 31
Re: 1951 Chevy value help

hey, i tried posting earlier but its not here.

if it drives stops and steers "great" my guess is 7500 give or take a grand. if it has covered up rust under that new paint alot less. i think it depends on location also. is it a shortbed? anything else is worth less imo

is the truck just like you want it or are there things you want to do /add? that may increase your cost but not necessarily the price if u sell.

id check for any sign of rust bubbles and use a magnet for bondo check on cab corners, check floor and kick panels, around running boards/fender area

also the truck may not go over 50 mph for long with the factory running gear.
tranzamwayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
chiro22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5
Re: 1951 Chevy value help

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzamwayno View Post
hey, i tried posting earlier but its not here.

if it drives stops and steers "great" my guess is 7500 give or take a grand. if it has covered up rust under that new paint alot less. i think it depends on location also. is it a shortbed? anything else is worth less imo

is the truck just like you want it or are there things you want to do /add? that may increase your cost but not necessarily the price if u sell.

id check for any sign of rust bubbles and use a magnet for bondo check on cab corners, check floor and kick panels, around running boards/fender area

also the truck may not go over 50 mph for long with the factory running gear.
Thanks for the info. It was a daily driver, bought new and then parked in a temp controlled garage in 1968 and had been there ever until my buddy bought it and tuned it up to be on the road again. Seems clean. Probably wouldn't do to much to it right now.
chiro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:13 PM   #5
Wrenchbender Ret
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Lenexa, Kansas
Posts: 3,577
Re: 1951 Chevy value help

I'd say between 5-7 grand if its a 1/2 ton short bed. More if it has 5 windows & a little more with a side spare tire holder. Those are real popular trucks right now.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #6
chiro22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5
Re: 1951 Chevy value help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
I'd say between 5-7 grand if its a 1/2 ton short bed. More if it has 5 windows & a little more with a side spare tire holder. Those are real popular trucks right now.
Thank you...I'm getting more info this week and I'll update my post.
chiro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:55 PM   #7
mr48chev
Registered User
 
mr48chev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toppenish, WA
Posts: 6,175
Re: 1951 Chevy value help

I think the guys are a bit high but that's just me and the area I live in. Here locally that is probably a 3 to 4k truck if you can drive it down the road without real issues. In other areas of the country where rust eats trucks up or less are available they may go for a lot more in the same condition.

One thing is that you can check the local craigslist for used 20/30 year old work/go to the dump trucks and see what the average price for decent driver quality trucks is and figure that the 51 probably fits right in that average pricewise.

Here locally and I don't know the condition:
http://yakima.craigslist.org/cto/4379358146.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/4355514343.html

The first one is a total project but has some good pieces and the second one is a driver that needs paint but appears to have a decent engine. It is a longbed which knocks the price down about 25% though.
__________________
The thought that causes the most delays in the progress of a project= "While I'm at it I may as well----"

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:33 AM   #8
tranzamwayno
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: seattle wa
Posts: 31
Re: 1951 Chevy value help

i looked at that red one last month when it was 4k. has lots of rust in all the places. id say 1500-2k for that truck
tranzamwayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
chiro22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 5
Re: 1951 Chevy value help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I think the guys are a bit high but that's just me and the area I live in. Here locally that is probably a 3 to 4k truck if you can drive it down the road without real issues. In other areas of the country where rust eats trucks up or less are available they may go for a lot more in the same condition.

One thing is that you can check the local craigslist for used 20/30 year old work/go to the dump trucks and see what the average price for decent driver quality trucks is and figure that the 51 probably fits right in that average pricewise.

Here locally and I don't know the condition:
http://yakima.craigslist.org/cto/4379358146.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/4355514343.html

The first one is a total project but has some good pieces and the second one is a driver that needs paint but appears to have a decent engine. It is a longbed which knocks the price down about 25% though.
Appreciate the help. I'd like to get the truck from under 5...but the guy already told me a story about how a woman "offered 10k". I'm thinking he's doing that to get big numbers in my head. We'll see how we it goes.
chiro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com