View Single Post
Old 02-28-2017, 10:02 AM   #103
hewittca

Re: Introduction, nostalgia, and '68 build, oh my

I finally got around to painting and mounting my original caps. At first, I had repainted my caps in the '67 red/white scheme, but after testing them with the white wheels I decided it was too much white. So, I stripped the caps again and repainted them in the original '68 black/argent silver scheme. I also tried to age them a bit so they don't look so new.

To mount the caps, I ended up using the MobSteel cap clips that I got from prsgtrman. I drilled/tapped the wheels to mount the clips. So far I have not lost a cap, but to be honest I'm not thrilled with how loose the cap seats. I've tried readjusting the clips but there's only so much spring tension you can get out of these before they just start bending. I also used a trick found on old VW caps and added a small hole to the cap and made a cap removal tool. With the ridge on the transit wheels, it makes it difficult to remove the cap without this tool.

After getting the caps mounted, I took the truck out for a test drive and a "truck party". All through winter, my son was talking about having a truck party, so with the freakishly warm weather, we loaded up all my son's trucks in the bed and found some dead end gravel road to play in.

At this point, I actually started doubting the transit wheel look. I'm not in love with how they look on the truck at the current ride height. I do plan on lowering it several more inches, but that's not going to happen for at least a year. So, I decided to throw on the spare original wheel I have and see if it was worth picking up an old set of 15x6s to mount until I can get the suspension where I want it.

Although I do really like the look of the 15x6 at this height, I decided to just save my $ and stick with the transits for now after doing yet another photoshop of my end goal (I should have included "photoshops" in my original title). I did, however, discover that I like the original argent silver wheel color over the white, so I plan on eventually repainting my wheels. This really should be the final look of my truck. Photoshopped here is the painted bed, argent silver wheels, and about ~3" more drop.

-
C10 Concept/Development Photos: Master Thread
hewittca is offline   Reply With Quote