The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Donz '65 SWB Stepper Budget Build... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=533920)

McMurphy 06-16-2013 02:26 PM

Re: Donz '65 SWB Stepper Budget Build...

Wow man, that grille looks brand new!
Nicely done :metal:

Ta2Don 06-17-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmorales3181 (Post 6125817)
Happy Father's Day buddy!Nothing like some Father's Day freedom:lol:
That grill looks great!!!!:chevy:
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Man, your truck is looking sweet, send me a pic as soon as you get one you like, looking forward to drawing that for ya!!!:metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64tantruck (Post 6125827)
looks good, keep up the great work

Thanks Man!

Quote:

Originally Posted by da_bears_da1 (Post 6125906)
Headlights look great! Making me rethink the chrome grill.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Man! Love the metal work you are getting done, finally started on the fender today, another exercise in patience...:waah:

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 6126196)
Wow man, that grille looks brand new!
Nicely done :metal:

Thanks Murph!!! Glad the Garage is thawing out and the Wife was able to keep you outta jail by making those parts runs for ya!!!:lol::lol::lol:

Ta2Don 06-17-2013 12:29 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Another episode in this saga known as "Air Compressor Hell!!!:devil:

Finally got time to work on the fender repair, set up to sand blast, went to adjust the regulator for the pressure to the blaster...:dohh::cuss:
regulator decided, "Since the compressor had a vacation, I need a funeral!" :waah:
It died! (See Pic 1) had to take a trip into town, 30 minutes one way, to replace the dead regulator...:banghead:

Clamped up the fender patch...:uhmk: (See Pic 2)

Started making sparks... :metal: (See Pic 3)

Made some progress, planning on finishing the welding tomorrow (Life got in the way temporarily) then on to grinding and seeing how I did on my first metal repair work, EVER!!!:crazy:

Thanks Bomp for the encouragement...:thumbs:
Still not ready to tackle the mods you are churning out...:four::ele::two:

This is my reaction when I check out your build, every time!!!!:jdp:

Thanks for looking Guyz!!!:bo2::burnout:

Bomp 06-17-2013 12:51 AM

Looking good.
Nice and easy. Grinding nice and easy too cause grinding can play in the warping game too.

Regulators are video worthy.

Keep up the great work.
Happy Fathers Day.

da_bears_da1 06-17-2013 08:53 AM

:devil: Great to see the sparks are flying! The patch is looking good. As Bomp said, nice and slow. I had to learn that the hard way of course.

McMurphy 06-17-2013 11:46 PM

Yeah man, the falling snow flakes have all been replaced by the blood sucking mosquitos up here.
Imagine my surprise when the wife ordered me a screen curtain for the garage car entrance !!

I look at your welded in patch and I cringe at all the grinder time I see there!

I like to weld a little, grind a little, then I learned to go over it all with some 60 or 80 grit on a high speed sander !!
but not too hard.... I sanded down a patch area to paper thiness by accident one day !! :dohh:

Good to see you really digging in on it ,,,,, way to go !! :metal:

Ta2Don 06-18-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6127183)
Looking good.
Nice and easy. Grinding nice and easy too cause grinding can play in the warping game too.

Regulators are video worthy.

Keep up the great work.
Happy Fathers Day.

Thanks Bomp, I tossed the parts and pieces before seeing this post:dohh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by da_bears_da1 (Post 6127434)
:devil: Great to see the sparks are flying! The patch is looking good. As Bomp said, nice and slow. I had to learn that the hard way of course.

Thanks Man! Nice and slow usually isn't my way, but I'm learning real fast that that is the way when welding and grinding... :ack:

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 6128908)
Yeah man, the falling snow flakes have all been replaced by the blood sucking mosquitos up here.
Imagine my surprise when the wife ordered me a screen curtain for the garage car entrance !!

I look at your welded in patch and I cringe at all the grinder time I see there!

I like to weld a little, grind a little, then I learned to go over it all with some 60 or 80 grit on a high speed sander !!
but not too hard.... I sanded down a patch area to paper thiness by accident one day !! :dohh:

Good to see you really digging in on it ,,,,, way to go !! :metal:

I visited Montana back in '05 and was amazed at the lack of bugs, in fact my ex-bro in law visited us here in Arkansas in July and called this "Hell with Bugs." Alaska must have some MUTANT Skeeterz...:haha:
... as for the grinding, this is my first ever metal repair work:thud: and I have to say, every moment seems to be a :dohh: moment... All the encouraging words, and exhortations to take it slow seem to pop in my head just after I think I go a bit too far too fast, got an oil can effect along the corner of the weld...:banghead:

Living and Learning!!!:m6: Will figure it all out eventually!!!:metal:

flips72 06-20-2013 06:23 PM

living and learning.. that's a mouth full. I mess up a lot more than I fix but I still keep digging, patch looks good to me, as far as the oil can effect goes try shrinking it, lots of good metal shrinking videos on you tube and its not nearly as hard as it sounds, heck if I can do it anyone can.

Ta2Don 06-20-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 6133721)
living and learning.. that's a mouth full. I mess up a lot more than I fix but I still keep digging, patch looks good to me, as far as the oil can effect goes try shrinking it, lots of good metal shrinking videos on you tube and its not nearly as hard as it sounds, heck if I can do it anyone can.

Thanks for the encouragement!:metal:
I've already checked out the youtube vids on repairing, so once I finish the million hours of grinding I have ahead of me...:haha: I will do the shrinking thing!:uhmk:

Jeff La 06-20-2013 11:10 PM

For your first ever metal repair it's really good. Keep up the great work, I'm just hoping I can do half as good as some on here

coulter 06-21-2013 12:18 AM

some great looking work so far!!! you have some cool looking details going on in this buld!! cant wait to see how it turns out :metal::metal::metal::metal:

Ta2Don 06-21-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff La (Post 6134252)
For your first ever metal repair it's really good. Keep up the great work, I'm just hoping I can do half as good as some on here

Thanks Jeff!!!:thumbs: I have to admit, this board and the folks here have inspired and encouraged me to dive to the depths I have on this build... My first inclination for the pass fender was to find a suitable replacement, but after seeing the extent of some other's rust repair... I decided, Why Not! It's a bit time consuming, but I'm loving every enjoyable as well as frustrating moment!!!:metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by coulter (Post 6134396)
some great looking work so far!!! you have some cool looking details going on in this buld!! cant wait to see how it turns out :metal::metal::metal::metal:

Thanks Coulter!!!:D I also can't wait to see how it turns out...;) I just keep plugging along when life allows me some Truck Time!:bann: Plans for the interior may include some "Coulter Trim...":two:

coulter 06-21-2013 09:39 AM

ya i hear you on that!! cool man looking forward to see what u come up with

Ta2Don 06-21-2013 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No updates... but to add a pic, here is one from the Azores... I was stationed there with the USAF twice for a total of 5 years. Just a neat pic with a couple old but new Chevy's from a few years ago...:metal::lol::metal::chevy:

da_bears_da1 06-21-2013 04:17 PM

Too bad you can't pluck that 55 out of the picture and put it in your garage.

Ta2Don 06-21-2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by da_bears_da1 (Post 6135366)
Too bad you can't pluck that 55 out of the picture and put it in your garage.

Or the '59, now, Where'd I put that dang Time Machine???:haha:

Bomp 06-21-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6135468)
Or the '59, now, Where'd I put that dang Time Machine???:haha:

Don,
Time machines are so last century.
Upload time traveler on your smart phone.
I know you've read about the venture I went on.:metal:
Nice pic too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Ta2Don 06-22-2013 10:09 AM

Hey Bomp, why does my "Smartphone" make me feel so DUMB???:banghead::dohh:

Ta2Don 06-23-2013 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Posted via Mobile Device
What I did to my truck today? Executive Planning Session!:lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

chad64chevy 06-23-2013 08:07 PM

lol, looks like fun!! fender patch looks good, just take your time and jump around a lil , then let it cool down an check your gap so it don't overlap, and you'll be fine! note I sometimes rush a lil and thats when you can get the oil can effect! it take more time the more you have to weld in on thin metal like patches

Bomp 06-23-2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta2Don (Post 6138789)
Posted via Mobile Device
What I did to my truck today? Executive Planning Session!:lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

Nothing like a meeting with refreshments and mascot.:metal:

markeb01 06-23-2013 11:14 PM

Now that looks like a sound investment! Way to enjoy life.

66C06 06-24-2013 12:10 AM

Nice progress Tattoo Don! Diggin' the grill!

Ta2Don 06-24-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6139037)
Nothing like a meeting with refreshments and mascot.:metal:

A much needed break from life!!! And I did get some truck time in later yesterday evening... Will post update soon. :uhmk:

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 6139204)
Now that looks like a sound investment! Way to enjoy life.

Yessir!!! Temp was 95 with a heat index of 99, and a humidity level of "Super Sticky!":no:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66C06 (Post 6139286)
Nice progress Tattoo Don! Diggin' the grill!

Thanks Man! I drop in on your build occassionally and really like the direction you are moving in. :metal:
Posted via Mobile Device

da_bears_da1 06-24-2013 08:26 AM

Good to see some kick back time! We also have the same rubber duck for the chlorine.:lol: Nothing like brown bottles in the pool when its almost 100 degrees.:devil: