The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   Backyard Cummins (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=574152)

Dieselwrencher 07-08-2015 04:59 PM

Re: Backyard Cummins

Nice work on your relay install and wiring work!

C20scott 03-10-2017 12:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Back after a year! This truck has undergone another major overhaul, especially in the last 2 months.
- Completely rebuilt rear axle with detroit locker, anti-wrap bar is in the works
- Revised fuel tank and filler, again.
- Revised suspension, longer leafs front and rear. DIYB52 kit up front. Longer rear shackles.
- Reworked wiring throughout engine compartment
- Fully custom radiator shroud to allow use of stock hood latch, new hood.
It rolled for the first time in 6 months last week, here are some photos.

Pic1 - Ditched the silverado seats, went back to stock. Cleaned up a bare seat frame, cut the foam myself, had it reupholstered locally.

Pic2 and 3 - I stripped the paint from the door panels, and wrapped them in my favorite camo vinyl wrap. I used the high quality stuff and took my time, great option in my opinion. They are in the truck now, no pictures yet.

C20scott 03-10-2017 12:51 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Pic1, Here is a photo of the freshly rebuild rear axle. It now has new shock perches, spring perches with corrected angle, anti-wrap bracket, all new seals and bearings, and detroit locker. It is now under the truck and rolling. More photos to come.

Pic 2, I moved the rear springs to the front, with the DIY4x4 B52 bracket and dropped 60" springs in the rear, with longer shackles. The ride is great, lift still around 4". Tons or droop. I ended up with longer brake flex hoses, and longer shocks.

Pic3, I removed the ugly crossmember that I installed originally, and replaced it with something serious. I completed the frame boxing up front, added a front hitch, ect. This is all finished out now, the picture you see is a "progress picture".

C20scott 03-10-2017 12:58 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I couldn't sleep at night with some of the hacking that I had done on the front radiator shroud. I scrapped the original shroud, and started from scratch. I ended up with a custom built tube steel radiator support, that is stronger, better looking, and fits all of the accessories better than before. It was either this, or move the engine back another inch. If i had a time machine, I would have set the engine back further. Now I have a stock hood and latch, which is a great plus for me.

The last pic is it's first trip out of the garage for 6 months, last weekend. More to come! I see there are some other great builds on this forum that are making great progress!

C20scott 03-10-2017 01:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I forgot to get the rear bumper and Cummins sticker in one of them!

Dieselwrencher 03-10-2017 04:39 PM

Great progress, nice to see you back! Your truck looks great and great work re doing some stuff you already did. It's tough to draw a line some times on how far you want to redo things. I've been there several times. :lol:

ryanroo 03-18-2017 09:25 AM

Nice! the core support looks sweet! i too have a tendency to make revisions. currently doing that on mine... haha