The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What did you do with your truck today, Part 3 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=713560)

DransportGarage 01-29-2019 01:29 AM

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8453639)
I'm going to nickname you "Aristotle" because all your comments are so profound!

I am humbled, but you won't have to wait very long to see me screw up!

MiraclePieCo 01-29-2019 09:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Starts, runs, no leaks so far on a brief test fire.

svr 01-29-2019 09:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Doors hung, door adjustment close, will need more fussing when i get the fenders on.

MiraclePieCo 01-29-2019 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svr (Post 8454254)
Doors hung, door adjustment close, will need more fussing when i get the fenders on.

Definitely unique and one of my favorite trucks. That long 6 is killer.

oldman3 01-30-2019 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo (Post 8454243)
Starts, runs, no leaks so far on a brief test fire.

Glad to hear, keep us posted...Jim

DransportGarage 01-31-2019 03:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Made and installed the steering wheel cover. OK job. I made about five minor mistakes. If I ever do another one it will be better. The stitches need to be closer and material at the ends of the spokes needs to be a little longer. It looks better in real life than in the pictures.

svr 01-31-2019 11:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Noticed something i hadnt seen before today. Drivers door has damage i missed when i worked on it. Leaves a big gap when closed at the front of the door. The front of the door is crushed a bit, not sure who or how that happened. Dont know what to do, wish i had another door to fix up at this point.

MARTINSR 02-01-2019 02:02 AM

Bummer! But does the door seal? That right there isn't going to be seen, does it seal?

Brian

MiraclePieCo 02-01-2019 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svr (Post 8456039)
Noticed something i hadnt seen before today. Drivers door has damage i missed when i worked on it. Leaves a big gap when closed at the front of the door. The front of the door is crushed a bit, not sure who or how that happened. Dont know what to do, wish i had another door to fix up at this point.

OMG, that sucks - it's already painted! Is that door jamb at the front supposed to be curved? It almost looks like something got wedged in there as the door was closed.

DransportGarage 02-01-2019 03:17 AM

Quote:

That sucks. If needed to seal the door, I'd be inclined to make a rubber strip that tapers on both ends, and would glue underneath your weatherstrip, effectively making it thicker where needed.

svr 02-01-2019 11:31 AM

Not sure if it will seal or not, I don't think cab side is damaged but will make a template off the other side and see, kinda bummed out over the deal. Really don't want to by after market door, so door shopping in spare time.

idbeast 02-01-2019 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

SVR I have an extra door it is yours if you want it, it will only cost you the time and gas money to come get it!

svr 02-01-2019 12:52 PM

Thanks, PM sent

DransportGarage 02-01-2019 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svr (Post 8456247)
Not sure if it will seal or not, I don't think cab side is damaged but will make a template off the other side and see, kinda bummed out over the deal. Really don't want to by after market door, so door shopping in spare time.

Looking at my truck vs. your pic, it looks like the cab is more bowed than the door. I hope I'm wrong. (A template will tell if your other side is undamaged.)

...or maybe I shouldn't hope I'm wrong. I little coaxing of the cab with a rubber mallet or a cushioned port-a-power may improve things quite a bit without paint damage. Keep us posted...

svr 02-01-2019 07:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok here's the situation, it appears somebody in this doors previous life tried to repair some damage or what ever. On the front inside corner between the hinges it either cracked and broke or they cut it on the corner. They hammered over about a1/2" of the inside skin over onto the front of the door and welded it. After i made a template from the pass side and put it onto the drivers side of the cab i found the drivers side of the cab was pushed forward about 1/4" between the hinges, not to big of a deal i got it back in shape with some blocks and a 2x4 prying on it. I cracked the paint a bit but it will be covered by the kick panel.

svr 02-01-2019 07:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Template on cab after the fix

svr 02-01-2019 07:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Next issue is when they did that it distorted the outside skin so the profile isn't right against the cab. Its not to bad except for about a foot below the top hinge level. The area between the blue tape will probably not seal.

DransportGarage 02-01-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svr (Post 8456528)
Next issue is when they did that it distorted the outside skin so the profile isn't right against the cab. Its not to bad except for about a foot below the top hinge level. The area between the blue tape will probably not seal.

Crap. Significant bodywork should fix it, but the paint will be crap. Lots of hours. I'd be inclined to do that rather than replace the door and start over, which will be more hours.

MIKESAD50 02-02-2019 09:30 AM

Bob that steering wheel look awesome, especially for your first time

DransportGarage 02-02-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIKESAD50 (Post 8456897)
Bob that steering wheel look awesome, especially for your first time

Thanks, Mike!

evilokc 02-02-2019 09:46 PM

I repaired the missing threaded insert on my hood. it was pretty easy to do. I was going to mount it and then decided I was going to spray the underside of the hood with a rubberized spray coating. I know it wont be beautiful but it will be a nicer cleaner universal colored hood that will look a lot better than the faded primer it is now. I did the first half and it went fine. on the second half the first thing I noticed was that the coating (same brand) looked darker. I hoped it would lighten up as it dried. the second coat was where everything went bad. the spray can started spitting and then dropped several large blobs of coating. I grabbed a different can and tried to fix it but the morning will tell me if that worked or if im going to be sanding. im annoyed. I also drover the truck all day. went to the gym, lunch, ran some errands. I believe I even created a future gearhead. I was at autozone getting a headlight bulb for shakes car. I saw a kid looking at the death rattle. I went out and let him have a real good look and answered several of his questions. im guessing he was 10. it was neat.

MiraclePieCo 02-02-2019 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilokc (Post 8457415)
I believe I even created a future gearhead. I was at autozone getting a headlight bulb for shakes car. I saw a kid looking at the death rattle. I went out and let him have a real good look and answered several of his questions. im guessing he was 10. it was neat.

Everywhere you go you are a rolling car show!

MARTINSR 02-03-2019 11:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, today I got my bed all stripped and all the bondo work done on the bed sides and head board and tail gate it's all ready for primer.........just kidding, I did nothing but I did get all that done, does that make sense?

I sold a couple of tools that have been hanging out in my garage for the past 20-30 years that will WAY more than buy a new bed for me so I don't have to do that bondo work and all that. I sold two pneumatic plannishing hammers for $3200, but I did pay a lot for them, I had $20 invested in the whole thing, no kidding! I bought one of them for $20 and the other I got for free, wow, holy crap! That and my 1962 Gibson E120 and a few other high end things and I have a bunch of money for my truck.

Wow, I am stunned here, I need to go and relax this hard work has beat me up.

Brian

MiraclePieCo 02-03-2019 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8458182)
I sold a couple of tools that have been hanging out in my garage for the past 20-30 years that will WAY more than buy a new bed for me so I don't have to do that bondo work and all that. I sold two pneumatic plannishing hammers for $3200, but I did pay a lot for them, I had $20 invested in the whole thing, no kidding! I bought one of them for $20 and the other I got for free, wow, holy crap! That and my 1962 Gibson E120 and a few other high end things and I have a bunch of money for my truck.
Brian

We're in the wrong business!

I too have been selling off unused stuff that I once treasured to help finance my now 50% over budget truck build.

MARTINSR 02-03-2019 11:37 PM

Yep, I can't believe the stuff I have been selling, and a lot of it going for much more than I thought it would. Nothing like pulling a box of four HO slot cars out of the attic and getting $100 for them! No more storage, and a hundred bucks! Right on!

Brian